Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aircon Only Working On Fan Setting 1

jaygee82

hi everyone,

My aircon only works with the fan on the first setting (1). The aircon light goes out and the cold air drops off on any other position

I figured it was the switch control so I ordered a 2nd hand switch from eBay (all 3 knobs and their assosciated I/C) and changed out the switch block on the back of the fan control.

didnt fix it.

than i thought it was perhaps the little IC board that is connected to the aircon button.

didnt fix it when i changed that out either.

so i have now decided it has nothing to do with the controls.

what else would cause the aircon to run in such a strange way ? I have pulled out the resistor for the aircon and it has no visible damage - I have herd these are prone to blowing, and even saw mentioned that ford have released a modified resistor and harness ?

the strangest part is, on the two different switch blocks i was able to get fan setting 2 to work by hanving the switch sort of half way between 1 and 2.

I am so confused and angry, my dash board is in pieces and my girlfriend thinks i am insane. please help !

NOTE: both AC and fan fuse are fine. And fan works in all 4 positions - just air con drops out as soon as 2 is properly selected (but will work half way between 1 and 2 with the fan speed been equal to 2)

From your description of the fault and looking at the wiring diagrams it has to be the resistor pack BUT you would expect the fan to be failing on low speeds.

Its got to be worth trying a new resistor pack next.

thanks dan62 - i also thought it would be failing on the lower fan speeds (as the resistor would be working harder then)

i took the resistor out, and ran the system and the fan would only run on position 4 (as you would expect)

BUT the aircon light still only comes on if the switch is in position 1, ie it is still behaving exactly as before even without said resistor pack in place.

thanks for your help so far, do you have anymore ideas ?

• 3 weeks later...

Looking at the wiring diagram the A/C relay gets grounded via the resistor pack in positions other than setting 1, maybe one of the resistors has gone bad.

You could try a link wire between switch positions 1 and 2 to verify, the numbers / wire colours I have are; 4 Black/White, 2 Black/Yellow. This will give you fan speed 2 on switch positions 1&2 eliminating one of the resistors.

Might be worth metering out the switch to verify the above, my diagram shows switch common (ground) as terminal 3 on switch, position 1 Terminal 4 and position 2 Terminal 2.

THANKYOU DAN62

Resistor pack arrived yesterday, put it in and all is working sweet as a nut !

Thanks so much for your help !

• 1 month later...

Hi DAN62 and Jaygee 82. I have exactly the same problem with my 02 TDCI. Could someone let me know where I can get hold of the correct resistor pack or provide the relevant part number? Also - is it a relatively simple job to complete, I haven't really messed around with the electrics before....?

no problem happy to help.

the resistor pack is located behind the glove box next to the blower motor.

it is really easy to get at, simply remove the glove box (this is a tooless job you just open the glove box to its maximum position, then squeeze the side walls of it, you will see 2 small lugs - pull the glove box a little furter until it falls forward an inch or 2 more (once the lugs are around the wall taht stops them). now pull the glove box out (the axels it turns on you will see have an opening so when pulled on the right angle it clips out). Its kinda hard to explain and quicker to do then write down.

now you will see all your fuses and below that the resistor pack. Im not sure of part number ford will know. I got a second hand one from eBay and clipped it in. Just search eBay for mondeo reisistor pack.

The tool you will need to remove the resistor is a T5 (torx) screwdriver - again get this off eBay for dirt cheap. No wiring is neccessary because it has a jumper that clips on the back.

The whole job will take less than 5 minutes and requires the removal of only one screw holding the pack in.

Hope my instructions help you, its easier done than described, good luck !

no problem happy to help.

the resistor pack is located behind the glove box next to the blower motor.

it is really easy to get at, simply remove the glove box (this is a tooless job you just open the glove box to its maximum position, then squeeze the side walls of it, you will see 2 small lugs - pull the glove box a little furter until it falls forward an inch or 2 more (once the lugs are around the wall taht stops them). now pull the glove box out (the axels it turns on you will see have an opening so when pulled on the right angle it clips out). Its kinda hard to explain and quicker to do then write down.

now you will see all your fuses and below that the resistor pack. Im not sure of part number ford will know. I got a second hand one from ebay and clipped it in. Just search ebay for mondeo reisistor pack.

The tool you will need to remove the resistor is a T5 (torx) screwdriver - again get this off ebay for dirt cheap. No wiring is neccessary because it has a jumper that clips on the back.

The whole job will take less than 5 minutes and requires the removal of only one screw holding the pack in.

Hope my instructions help you, its easier done than described, good luck !

this is what it looks like

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FORD-MONDEO-MK3-MANUAL-FAN-BLOWER-RESISTOR-PACK-01-07-/320708243125?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4aabb36eb5

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club