Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Removing Steering Wheel Airbag

Musketter

Has anyone got a quick guide on how to remove the airbag on the steering wheel.

I have disconnected the battery & had a cuppa, Removed the 3 screws from rear on steering wheel but cannot work out how the airbag comes out.

Does the plastic trim come out first or the Airbag ? I am probably being over careful, but airbags do make me nervous. I did read somewhere about making up a tool to remove the airbag ?

Thanks in advance

Let me tell you it's a right pig to do! Watched my mechanic to it and there was two holes on the back he had to insert a screwdriver in and hold back a spring to unclip it. Haven't seen any guides sorry.

Let me tell you it's a right pig to do! Watched my mechanic to it and there was two holes on the back he had to insert a screwdriver in and hold back a spring to unclip it. Haven't seen any guides sorry.

Yes! i did it like that!

First disconnect the battery! remove steering wheel column top cover, med_gallery_13241_370_68558.jpgthis is the airbag from the back,you need to put a flat bladed screwdriver or lever ( i used a bended welding rod) in hole B and push the sprung bar across towards the centre of the wheel,at the same time pull the airbag forwards ,then do the same on the other side,make sure your airbag doesn’t go off,i think its recommended to leave it for a few hours first to discharge it.

• Like 1

Thanks gents, that's great.

It may just be me, but your airbag is missing from the pic !!! Was that one that had gone off ?

Cheers

it`s not my picture ;) one friend of mine sent this for me how to do it...

Thanks Gents, both your posts really helped.

Well I managed it, only took about 15 mins to swap the two steering wheels over, if you ignore the 2.5 hours it took to get the !Removed! airbag off. :rolleyes:

If you have to do it, take the bottom cover off as well (1 screw on the bottom). Then turn the wheel so the hole you want to get at is at around 4'o'clock when looking from the drivers seat. I tried removing the "stalks" for more room to see but you cant while the steering wheel is fitted

I then used a small mirror (From sun visor, just unclips) and a torch to see into the hole and where the clip is. I then slightly bent a old flat screwdriver to get below the clip and push it up. Took several goes but was much easier then doing it from the top as you can see what you are doing, which you can't on top even using a mirror.

BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN PULLING THE AIRBAG OUT AFTER RELEASING THE CLIPS AS THE WIRES ARE VERY SHORT AND FRAGILE, ESPECIALLY THE YELLOW WIRE GOING TO THE AIRBAG :o

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club