S-Max Starting Problem
Posted 18 April 2011 - 11:38 PM
- Since its 2nd year it has regularly failed to start on the first attempt.
- Over the past couple of years the problem has very gradually got worse.
- It will typically not start on the first attempt, but almost always will by the third attempt.
- Happens irrespective of the engine being cold or warm.
- Happens irrespective of the weather, from the coldest to the hottest days.
- The likelihood of it starting first time is possibly increased the longer the ignition is switched on before trying to start (several seconds).
- No warning lights on the dash.
- For the first year or so, the glow plug indicator on the dash did not display at all when about to start the car. It displays now, but for no more than a second.
- 47,000 miles on the clock.
- Our local Ford dealer have investigated it a few times over the past two years while under warranty. They were unable to diagnose a problem at any stage (which suggests they were seeing no errors from the engine managment unit, or whatever it's called!), but acknowledged that it was happening and suggested that we could get a second opinion from another branch - we declined.
- The car has had a history of electrical problems, but they all appear to have been sorted.
- The turbo was replaced after 12-18 months due to a recurring engine malfunction (loss of power).
A mechanic friend suspects a fuel pressure problem.
Any other thoughts, or reports of similar experiences and fixes will be much appreciated.
Posted 20 April 2011 - 07:12 AM
Posted 23 May 2011 - 01:08 AM
also another possibility...if dealer has faults stored relating to missing messages from various modules the repair is 1. update software on body control module....if this doesn't cure it ALL can bus splices on the car need to be renewed. this repair is only if message faults are stored
good luck and keep us informed, thanks steve
Posted 29 May 2011 - 09:01 PM
Posted 29 May 2011 - 10:21 PM
Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:45 PM
I'am also one of the owners of the 2007 S max. More or less I've got the same problems with your cars. Were you be able to fix the problem. If you succeded what steps did the mechanics follow? If you share this information with me I'll be very glad. Thank you for your intereset. Looking forward to here from you.
Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:44 PM
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users