Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How Much For A Fix On R Gear Sometimes Not Engaging?

suddste

Hello,

When I got the car I was stupid and shifted into reverse gear when going slowly forward and didn't even release the clutch, it grinded and I guess that's what's caused the problem now. It's pretty bad as sometimes I shift into reverse and haven't and it makes a horrible grinding sound that cant be heard inside but can outside and its embarrassing.

Was wondering what to say to a service person and how much it will cost to fix?

Thanks,

Hello,

When I got the car I was stupid and shifted into reverse gear when going slowly forward and didn't even release the clutch, it grinded and I guess that's what's caused the problem now. It's pretty bad as sometimes I shift into reverse and haven't and it makes a horrible grinding sound that cant be heard inside but can outside and its embarrassing.

Thanks,

it cant be diagnosed without having the box out sounds like youve stripped the teeth the bax needs stripped 700 plus but you cannot diagnose whats wrong without having the box out but ide budget at least a grand or have a second hand box fitted either way it wont be cheap

it cant be diagnosed without having the box out sounds like youve stripped the teeth the bax needs stripped 700 plus but you cannot diagnose whats wrong without having the box out but ide budget at least a grand or have a second hand box fitted either way it wont be cheap

I dont know, though, when the engine is off I can slip it into reverse fine. I heard it's just syncromesh going. When I was learning in a AA Focus Titanium they did the same, sometimes it would not go into reverse

I have got the same difficulties with mine. The description of the car is on the left. Most of the time it works but occasionally it will not engage at all. I will normally shift to 1st or 5th and then try R again.

There were similar posts on this board previously; is it a problem across the range?

I have got the same difficulties with mine. The description of the car is on the left. Most of the time it works but occasionally it will not engage at all. I will normally shift to 1st or 5th and then try R again.

There were similar posts on this board previously; is it a problem across the range?

Yes it is.......

Both my old 2003 model, and now my 59 plate Focus exhibit this.

If you don't double dip your clutch a couple of times, and not rush it, it can cause reverse gear to either grate, or not engage correctly, and then grate as you lift your clutch to find you are not properly in gear.

Hello,

Thanks,

Suck out the gearbox oil and replace it with some Castrol SMX-S.

With a stationery set of gears they are not always going to be aligned to mesh and will just rub against each-other if not engaged hence the grinding sound.

If the gears are moving and there is no syncromesh (as on Reverse) you'll get a nice crunch when they engage.

The oils friction helps in both instances above.

Suck out the gearbox oil and replace it with some castrol SMX-S.

With a stationery set of gears they are not always going to be aligned to mesh and will just rub against each-other if not engaged hence the grinding sound.

If the gears are moving and there is no syncromesh (as on Reverse) you'll get a nice crunch when they engage.

The oils friction helps in both instances above.

strange so many have a similar symptom its something i can honestly say ive never had not even in my mates 04 plate unless its still to exhibit those symptoms

Thanks people for the comments, I guess i'll leave it

To prevent me starting another thread, i'll ask in here. My screenwashers have got blocked somehow, I got someone to do it for me last time and didnt see what they blew into. Does anyone know how to access the pipes on the bonnet to blow into? It did fix them the last time by blowing into them

Thanks people for the comments, I guess i'll leave it

To prevent me starting another thread, i'll ask in here. My screenwashers have got blocked somehow, I got someone to do it for me last time and didnt see what they blew into. Does anyone know how to access the pipes on the bonnet to blow into? It did fix them the last time by blowing into them

the hose connecting to the bonnet washer pop one off and blow through it

the hose connecting to the bonnet washer pop one off and blow through it

is that near the filler cap ?

anyone? forgot to say I really dont want to go behind the wheel arch to fix it.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club