Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta Mk7

BHeart

Hi

Just noticed over the last couple of days when turning the steering wheel to pull away. It happens with left or right turn and it's like a low pitched whine, but very noticeable.

If I'm correct, the Fiesta Mk7 has electronic power steering and I have heard a similar noise with some other makes which also had the same type of powering steering.

Is this normal for the Fiesta and have I been lucky with it just starting since first reg on October 1st last year?

If it's not normal then what's causing it and why has this noise just decided to show itself?

Bit of a silly question but are you turning the wheel before pulling away, when the car is stationary?

Bit of a silly question but are you turning the wheel before pulling away, when the car is stationary?

Hi

Thanks for your response and, with regard to your question, when pulling away slowly (as you do), I start the car moving and then start winding the wheel on slowly and it's then that I hear the noise.

The whining noise you described would suggest that to me that it could just be the power steering pump releasing the fluid through the system to make that noise..

I'm no mechanic but from dealing with the technicians at Ford on a day to day basis you sort of pick up on things..maybe someone with more knowledge could confirm this though..

The whining noise you described would suggest that to me that it could just be the power steering pump releasing the fluid through the system to make that noise..

I'm no mechanic but from dealing with the technicians at Ford on a day to day basis you sort of pick up on things..maybe someone with more knowledge could confirm this though..

Hi

Many thanks for your response.

I'm really hoping that the 'whining noise' is just as you describe but, as stated, I've had the car since October 1st 2010 and I would definitely have picked up on it if it was there from first registration but I've only just noticed it two or three days ago.

If it was due to the power steering pump releasing fluid through the system, then surely other Fiesta Mk7 owners would also have noticed it?

I think that I'll be paying my local Ford dealer a visit to listen to one or two nearly new Fiesta Mk7's and, if I hear the same noise, then fine, but if not, then my car needs to be checked out.

Pardon my potential ignorance here, but fluid? The Fiesta has electric power steering :P. I sometimes notice a slight noise in mine (depends how loud the radio is!) when turning sharply and barely moving, but to me it just sounds like an electric motor whirring. Though if yours is now more noticable than it was, maybe something has changed... Does the steering feel any different (eg heavier)?

I don't own a mk7 so im just going by what has happened with other fiestas..if what you say is true then it will just be the motor whining..

i took mine and and mentionaed it on it's service, but knowingly that was the one day it didn't do it, i seem to get a squeak now and again too from it, they checked everything once over and spotted nothing so it cant be anything too bad, but as mentioned that day it wasn't playing up

Pardon my potential ignorance here, but fluid? The Fiesta has electric power steering :P. I sometimes notice a slight noise in mine (depends how loud the radio is!) when turning sharply and barely moving, but to me it just sounds like an electric motor whirring. Though if yours is now more noticable than it was, maybe something has changed... Does the steering feel any different (eg heavier)?

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

Electric power steering with fluid? I just heard that in my head as I read the first part of your response. :)

Normally when I start the car in the morning, my radio comes on or I turn it on and it's normally on 4 to 5 so maybe it was always there and I never noticed it with the radio being on but, once or twice just recently, I left the radio off and pulled away and I'm assuming (hoping) that is when I first heard the noise when turning the wheel?

As for the steering feeling any different, I don't think so but I will pay more attention when I go to work next Tuesday.

I certainly hope so because apart from the slight 'knocking noise' at the back, which I now know is being caused by the back door lock assembly and the hasp, when the door is shut, I've had no real issues that I'm aware of, with the car since I took delvery of it on 1st October 2010 so hopefully it is just the motor 'whirring'.

For the time being I will just monitor it and report back with an update in a couple of weeks or so. Many thanks to everyone who contributed to the thread.

BHeart

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club