#1 bigbossowen

bigbossowen

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Ford Model: mk3 mondeo tdci 130

Posted 28 April 2011 - 07:08 PM

hi
this one is for a friend he has a 98 mk4 it had developed a miss fire with a big lack of power. he has for reasons only know to him he has put it in to ford and they have come to the conclusion that fault is the ecu. now if i was to buy a second hand one would it need programming or is it a case of plug and play.
thanks all.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 21,263 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 29 April 2011 - 06:57 AM

hi
this one is for a friend he has a 98 mk4 it had developed a miss fire with a big lack of power. he has for reasons only know to him he has put it in to ford and they have come to the conclusion that fault is the ecu. now if i was to buy a second hand one would it need programming or is it a case of plug and play.
thanks all.

Pretty sure they need re-programming, I dont think the ECU is plug and play, mainly because they can run different firmware versions depending on what functions you have on the car...

i.e. a car that has in built sat nav, and auto window up on a titanium, will probably have different coding to it to the LX. I could be wrong, but im pretty sure it needs re-writing...

#3 bigbossowen

bigbossowen

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Ford Model: mk3 mondeo tdci 130

Posted 02 May 2011 - 06:32 PM

i was hoping that was not the case.

#4 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 21,263 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 03 May 2011 - 01:33 PM

i was hoping that was not the case.

Sorry to dissapoint, I wish they were plug and play, thats why thieves get the raw deal as well, they steal the ECU thinking itll all be fine, and the realising that they dont always work. Dont get me wrong, there is a chance it could well plug in and off it goes - just dont buy it expecting it to work - buy it with the knowledge that you probably are going to have to reload it.

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users