Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Just got charged 630 for a service?am i a mug?

88john63

Hi all,

I am new enough to thsi site, but i do find it very helpful, to cut a long story short, i got a ford fiesta 1997, 67,000 miles 1.3 endura, for 900Euro a few weeks ago(three weeks to be precise) now the owners manual had no service history(wha ya want for that money i hear you ask) but the market is flooded with cheap cars at the minute, anyway, the car was going well enough, but i just new it needed a service, the oil looked very manky and coming into the winter(i take my kids in it so like to have the peace of mind)and the brakes were a bit shoddy too.

anyway, i went to a reputable service place, a nig place, dunno if i meant to name it, but i not complaining about them, just querying, its calle discount tyres in dublin.

anyway, the srevice was posted at 170, he took it in there and then, i drove around the corner to work with one of their guys on board and gave him the keys and he drove back(legal?who knows, nothing happened so who cares) So i get a phon call about an hour and half later saying i needed new cv joint(never heard of one)and newbake pads and disca, and another few bits and bobs, it came to 630 after a bit of haggling and a ??discount??

the sheet he gave me at the end has, as follows on it,

oil Castrol 24.50(including disposal)

oil filter, ford 14.00

air filter 12.00

Bosch spark plug 20.00

pads, ford 80.00

discs ford 180.00

fl cv joint fiesta 160.00

fan belt fiesta 60.00

rear wheel bearing fiesta 90.00

E-BOTP fiesta 85.00

there was a supposed discount taken off that bringing it to a majik 630(:

now the guy said that the full srvice was done on ti too, with a few bulbs replacing) although the courtesy bulb when i open that car door or the boot still don't work, i am going back about that,

sorry for such a long messagee, but i dont know what hafl the stuff i paid for is? now i must say the car drives like a gem, but it was pretty alright before(so i thought)the guy said i saved major expense catching these things on time.of course he would. I would be very very grateful f anyone can fill me in on what was done to my car, was it worth it, was i ripped.

on one way of looking at it is the car has nw cost a total of 1500euro and has less that 70,000 mls on it it is NCT'd for two years and the guy said i have pretty much a "new car" now after getting that work done.

look i wont ramble on any more,

just would apprecite any advice, remarks??

thanks lads and ladies

John

oil filter, ford 14.00 - £5 on eBay

air filter 12.00 - £6 on eBay

Bosch spark plug 20.00 - £10.40 on eBay

pads, ford 80.00 - £20 on eBay

discs ford 180.00 - £33.95 on eBay

fl cv joint fiesta 160.00 - £39.99 on eBay

fan belt fiesta 60.00

E-BOTP fiesta 85.00

Not too sure on the other prices

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like there charging full ford retail prices. But im preety sure that a wheel bearing isnt £90 from ford. Pads and discs sounds abit over the top aswell. We get them at work for about £10-£40 discs from around£30 upwards. Also the cv joint is the part at the end of drive shaft, not really a service item, was the cv boot changed also? This spot aint a ford maindelear is it? If it is they will of changed the components to manufactuers spec not if it actually needs it. Spark plugs for example most manufacters spec 30,000 to 60,000 miles. So if the cars reached the milage there changed regardless of condition

• 1 month later...

Ya deffo been robbed mate, rear bearing bout £15, cv joint bout £25-30. disc and pads are dirt cheap for these.. then again has he really done what he said was wrong?? If it was me i would go and tell them you think the bill is way over the top and if they dont give you at least £250-£300 back tell them your going to have the AA inspect it!! see what they say.. worth a try.

Steve

Theres no seperate listed charge for labour so to me it looks like hes written the cost of labour to do the job into each price. Sounds a bit pricey, but you did get a decent service there.

wow.. parts for Lexus are cheaper than that.. what a rip!

If a car is no longer in manufacturers waranty then never go to a dealer unless it is something that they require to hook your car on to their computer.

In fact a dealer cannot make you service at a ford dealership, as long as you use genuine ford parts who installs them should not affect your warranty.

A dealer will charge twice more than a reputable mechanic. Seems they are hunting for work.

I would go elsewhere in future and you'll save a bundle.

Best way of finding a good garage is by word of mouth, i advertise my business and get more through word of mouth and its cheaper!! :)

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

So all the parts plus fitting them came to 460 euros. That's about £330 plus VAT. Now you have all that new running gear plus brake discs and pads. You can take your family out safe in the knowledge that it won't let you down.

No it wasn't cheap but not a rip off either. It's all very well saying you can get parts cheap on E-Bay but you still have to fit them and you have no idea whether they are right or not. This way the garage has to warrant its work and the parts they fitted.

At least if you do have any problems crop up in the future with it that are from any of the parts they changed then you can go back to them.

I wouldnt say you have been ripped off but it is quite pricey. Like you've said the overall cost of the car now isnt that expensive and if it is like he said and is a pretty new car you've done really well.

• 1 month later...

oil filter, ford 14.00

air filter 12.00

Bosch spark plug 20.00

pads, ford 80.00

discs ford 180.00

fl cv joint fiesta 160.00

fan belt fiesta 60.00

E-BOTP fiesta 85.00

Have you been ripped off

Probably, especialy if you have been charged full ford parts price and he fitted one of the many cheaper options.

Also don't forget they are charging labour on each job at probably £60 an hour.

One question though............Whats an E-BOTP

• 2 weeks later...

thats about right id say dont forget people yes the pads are like 15 quid but every garage wil charge you alot to fit brake pads even tho its a easy job cv boot yh its about right good job you changed it because what happens is the grease comes out and goes on the disk causing you to have no brakes so id say good investment. danny

ps garage charge a hour extra for fiting a disk each side so thats how come there pricey