Do Not Sell My Personal Information

! Guide ! How To Fit A Tuning Box To A Fiesta Mk7 1.6Tdci 95Ps

Jedilard

! Guide !

How to fit a Tuning Box to a Fiesta Mk7 1.6tdci 95ps

Firstly thanks to Lez, Tone and Cliffhanger who all responded to my request for help in fitting a tuning box.

In particular to Lez who supplied a couple of pictures that I have used within this guide.

Firstly my reason for going for a box rather than a remap is simply the fact that I have not found anyone that can remap the 95psi version.

There are loads of tuning boxes available, the one I have fitted was from tdi-tuning.co.uk and from what I can tell they all connect in the same way.

Tdi-Tuning

Which ever box you go for I'd strongly recommended you also by a blanking cap. Once you have fitted the tuning box its really easy to access the box itself, but to remove the cabling you will need to repeat the fitting process. By using a cap you can take the box out and replace it with the cap, which then returns the car to normal, but the cables remain. This is the one that goes with my box.

http://www.tdi-tuning.co.uk/core_products/tuning/tdituning_crtd2_tuning_box_removal_cap_P2449.html

Anyway fitting the box is not the 10 minute job that the sellers quote as the common rail is not situated at the front of the engine but behind it.

The picture below (from Lez) shows what the engine looks like from behind and the red circle is where the common rail is.

16562194.jpg

The following is a guide of how I fitted mine, which will hopefully prove useful to members looking to fit a box to their fiesta.

Tools needed socket set, Set of Alan Keys. Optional Torch and screwdriver

Time 1 to 2 hours

Mechanic skill level Low (I have none!)

Step 1 What needs to be removed the battery!

42293805.jpg

There is no way to get at the common rail plug without making some space. The only thing that needs to be removed in the battery and the case it sits in (green cross).

However the ECU is also secured to the battery case (white cross) so we will also need to detach this from the battery case.

The red cross I believe is the air filter and some posts I've read people say you have to remove this as well. I managed to avoid this.

Step 2 Remove the Battery

51559373.jpg

Disconnect you battery and remove the 3 bolt circled in red. The battery can then be removed.

Step 3 Detach the ECU from the plastic battery case.

93685626.jpg

There are 3 screws that need to be removed in order to detach the ECU from the battery case.

The first is easily accessible circle in red. Also it's a good idea to move the rubber tube (blue dot) at this point.

The second two screws are actually underneath the case itself and are a bit of a pain to get to.

20077326.jpg

Remove the 3 bolts securing the battery case circled in red. The two yellow dots are approximately where the screws are underneath.

This was one of the hardest bits to figure out as there isn't enough room to easily get at them.

However the box is plastic and will give a little so with a bit of twisting and pulling I got it out this much.

The two red dots are where the screws are underneath and the green arrow shows the gap I used to get at them.

52399840.jpg

The picture below is a slightly confusing as I put my camera underneath and took a picture.

The red arrow points to the top of the battery case and the two red circles show the screws.

Using a alan key you can loosen these two enough before using your hand to unscrew them totally take care not to drop them!

22089218.jpg

Once these are out the plastic box can be removed. The ECU can then be moved out of the way (picture below)- the yellow arrows shows where to move it. For info the red circles show where those two tricky screws were. The Blue dot shows where to look for the next step.

53063931.jpg

Step 4 Access the Common Rail

Finding this connector perhaps the hardest thing about fitting the tuning box as even now you can't really see it.

You have to put your hand behind the engine and feel for it. The picture below shows exactly where to put your hand to find it.

It's my hand in the picture and the tips of my fingers are touching the connector.

90372946.jpg

I managed to get the connector out using just my hand practice with the cable that came with the tuning box to understand how they work.

Once off the cable connector itself is red in colour.

You can now connect your tuning box!!!

Before putting everything back I secured the box at the moment I've put it just above the washer pump.

Once it was secured I reversed the process to put everything back together.

Hope it helps!

• Like 2

Great guide......

Just another note....anyone who has access to a ramp....you can also gain access to the plug from under the car.

Ken

GOOD GUIDE, ONE CLUB CONTRIBUTOR STAR ADDED FOR YOU

THANKS AGAIN

• Like 1

GOOD GUIDE, ONE CLUB CONTRIBUTOR STAR ADDED FOR YOU

THANKS AGAIN

Nice! when i will get Club contributor star?...

Little update since fitting the box - and 500 mile later.

No problems to report and it definitely has made it feel a more complete car. Flat spots are much less and the power drop off point is much later- not that I'm driving it hard.

Biggest surprise is fuel economy which has increased from 67mpg (careful driving) to 74/75mpg. I've also put some millers in which may have impacted the mpg slightly.

Little update since fitting the box - and 500 mile later.

No problems to report and it definitely has made it feel a more complete car. Flat spots are much less and the power drop off point is much later- not that I'm driving it hard.

Biggest surprise is fuel economy which has increased from 67mpg (careful driving) to 74/75mpg. I've also put some millers in which may have impacted the mpg slightly.

Id double check you MPG.....these boxes are fooling the high pressure pump into putting more fuel pressure into the fuel rail...in other words more fuel for a given signal the ECU is asking for. The ECU still thinks its injecting standard fuel rate and doesnt know about the extra fuel going in.....the MPG figure shown on the dash is based on this false assumption by the ECU......

Driven steady the MPG should be SLIGHTLY better......the adverts advertising big MPG increases from plug in boxes are complete fiction im afraid.

Ken

Hi Kenny

Interesting comment and I will do fill-up test to check. However if what you say is correct then surely the ecu would start reporting a lower mpg (more fuel being used), not a higher one? If it still thinks it's using standard fuel then my mpg would still be around the 66 mark.

I did a fair bit of research before installing and my understanding is the ecu is still in control of everything, but the box sends it altered readings so that it then changes fuel etc. The ecu knows if more fuel is being used as it ultimately still sends the instruction.

The tuning box is just a resistor, the pressure sensor reading will be low, so the diesel pump make higher pressure in the rail! yes with the higher pressure the injectors will put more fuel in the engine, but after the power increase, you do not need to rev your engine more! so if you drive without a heavy feet , you will have more MPG, but if you using the more power, and drive sporty your MPG will less...

Great review and info, top marks from me – I was considering getting a tuning box as I used to have one on my old Astra, I liked the fact that they were ‘supposed’ to fit and remove easily. Think I’ll pass for now.

Excellent guide

Appreciate your effort producing this

I will be fitting one of these tuning boxes now

cheers

• 4 weeks later...

Got my tuning box fitted

Car accelerates much better and on a 500 mile motorway run has just returned 66mpg - which for me is excellent as best before was 57mpg. I am a bit heavy footed when overtaking!

i'd rather have a map that is custom to my car, shame dreamscience don't do anything yet as i'd also like the device to remove and store maps come service time.

nice guide though

Please remember that your warranty will be invalid and tell your insurer about the upgrade. If you think they wont find out you are wrong, the latest software they put into the ECU will pick up additional devices whether they are still present or not and changes in fuelling patterns.

I found out the hard way with a blown engine and £4k bill....

Oilburner how did the fitting go for you?

your guide is excellent

I really struggled to get the ecu lower mounting bolts back in. I got the front one in after alot of swearing and I gave up on the back after removing too much skin

I lost one of those screws so only put three back myself - 'twas a bit of a fiddle. But with three in and the wait on the battery it all seemed fine. I've now down over 3000 miles since fitting the box and my mpg does not go below 65 and that all types of driving but not crazy.

• 3 months later...

Thank you very very much for that Post.

It's been really useful.

I've been all this morning to instal it.

Now it work!

Thanks again

• 3 weeks later...

Glad it helped. I've now done 10000 miles with my box fitted and no problems to report.

please please you need a dpi unit its loads better trust me its from dtuk d.p.i. unit

I did look at them but at nearly £400 it put me off. Do you have any info to back up the 'it loads' quicker - what does that mean?

Might be useful for future people looking for a box solution.

Really useful!

Thank you very much for the guide.

I've installed a tuning box in my 1.6 tdci 90ps and it's the same way.

Thanks again ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent guide, I tried This evening to put the car on a lift and remove left wheel. I can see the connector, touch it with my finger tip, but not enough to unplug it. Will try from top next week, removing battery. One of the screws Holding the ECU is easily accesable from below

I Will have to remove the box for every service, as car is a lease car

Hi,

I did install it from the top of the car, and it takes quite a long time, and in my case that I have big hands it was really hard to disconnect it.

So take it easy, use a screw driver and hope it takes less than me.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi firstly thanks for taking the time to share the guide. I have a question I used to own a fiesta 2009 tdci 90ps which i fitted a tuning box to without problem in the location shown in your guide.

But I traded that car in for a 2011 95ps TDCI and I cannot locate the plug to install to this model. Can you confirm the year and model of your engine.

Thanks