Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta Mystery Starting Issue

Rakeempy

Hey everyone, I'm new on here so here it goes!

I have a 2003 Fiesta 1.4 16V (Petrol), I bought it a few months ago and it's been absolutely great. Except...

Soon after I bought it I discovered that sometimes when I turn the key, it doesn't start but instead makes a sort of grinding/buzzing noise that gets slower and slower until it's just a quiet buzz. This all happens in the space of 5-10 seconds. The engine does NOT actually turn over.

If I then turn the ignition off and try to start the engine again then it usually starts and runs as if nothing ever happened. Also, sometimes it helps to press the accelerator in about half way.

I cannot for the life of me think what this might be, and was wondering if anyone here did? I'd rather not take it to the garage and have them take a guess at what is wrong as it's an intermittent issue.

Help!

battery or alternator I suspect. If the car recovers fine, then I would hedge my bets on replacing the battery. If the alternator was faulty, it would never recover.

Thanks, that would make sense. Just checked the battery and it's the original so it's getting on a bit. I'll get it replaced today and see if anything improves.

Sounds like a bad starter motor solenoid, if the solenoid doesn't pre engage the starter motor with the flywheel the starter motor will not turn.

As for the battery if it regularly starts the car don't go wasting your money on a new one, might be worth checking and topping up the cells with distilled or de-ionised water.

I did always suspect the starter motor, does anyone roughly know how much they are to fit? I know the part is about £80-100.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club