Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Strange Noise

Sara Fiesta

Hello Everyone,

I've recently bought a 2009 1.6 TDCI and yes with the dreaded DPF which I've only just read on this forum all the horror stories!

I've also searched this forum for my problem but I've not found it so hear goes.

When I first start off from first starting the car I get a clonk which I believe from reading the posts this is correct it's engaging something can't remember exactly what but it's ok.

I also get a strange and very intermittent similar engaging noise that sounds like a spring recoiling and engaging which happens sometimes when I get over the brow of a hill or if i'm braking and I hit a hole, drain cover or raised curb but it's a nightmare to reproduce and even more so when I go back to my local dealer, I was hoping maybe someone has had a similar problem so I can go to my dealer armed with something?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi There,

I get this same noise once after 10MPH and only after i have pulled away from engine off.

i also get the noise on rough surfaces but its doesnt matter if i am breaking or not,

Have you had any joy from a dealer with regards to this?

Will keep you posted if i have any joy,

Katie

When I first start off from first starting the car I get a clonk which I believe from reading the posts this is correct it's engaging something can't remember exactly what but it's ok.

That would be the ABS :)

I also get a strange and very intermittent similar engaging noise that sounds like a spring recoiling and engaging which happens sometimes when I get over the brow of a hill or if i'm braking and I hit a hole, drain cover or raised curb but it's a nightmare to reproduce and even more so when I go back to my local dealer, I was hoping maybe someone has had a similar problem so I can go to my dealer armed with something?

Sounds strange (no pun intended!) I cant think of anything that would recoil and make that noise just because you reached the brow of a hill? Only thing I can think is maybe the springs in the drum brake (That is if you have them?)

Other than that, is it a slow recoil (sort of hearing it stretching / relaxing slowly?) or is it "boiinnngg" sort of recoiling? Can you tell if its coming from the front or back? and do you get any vibration?

The spring noise is the ESP engaging.

Hi thanks for the posts I had almost given up on this post. The noise is like boiinning then a spring slowly recoiling and it's coming from the front it's hard to explain, I can't take it back as I can't get it to do it on demand? I think it from the front passenger side wheel but I can't be sure?

No vibration and can happen many times?

Hi There,

I get this same noise once after 10MPH and only after i have pulled away from engine off.

i also get the noise on rough surfaces but its doesnt matter if i am breaking or not,

Have you had any joy from a dealer with regards to this?

Will keep you posted if i have any joy,

Katie

Hi Katie,

Thanks for the reply, i've not taken mine to a dealer yet as I can't get it to do it on demand, it's very annoying!

Regards,

Sara

Give the dealer a call, and just ask them, it may be known to them. However just because you cant reproduce an error doesnt mean that they can claim it doesnt exist!

If they give the car the once over, they may not see something immediately, but then again they may well do. Has it done this since day one? the mechanics may be able to drive it for a bit and reproduce the error...

This morning I was driving on the motorway and I received a message saying engine malfunction! I pulledover to the hard shoulder, switched the engine off, I had a look in the handbook not good news in there. I didnt know what to do as i was luckly only a few miles from home. I started the car again and it took little longer to start, no message so I set off again. The cars running terrible no power at all very poor it's booked in on Tuesday with Ford I'll mention the strange noise, anybody had this happen?

2009 1.6 tdci dpf.

Sara

• 2 weeks later...

The spring noise is the ESP engaging.

Yes you’re right Nigel, it happened again today and the ESP dash light flickered on off on off is this right? Also I hit a bump I was braking to avoid hitting it too hard and it sounded like and electric motor wurring for a few seconds???

Yes you’re right Nigel, it happened again today and the ESP dash light flickered on off on off is this right? Also I hit a bump I was braking to avoid hitting it too hard and it sounded like and electric motor wurring for a few seconds???

esp/abs kicking in when your braking on rough or bumpy road is expected and acceptable. what isnt acceptable is engine failing. see if you can get info on stored fault codes in engine ecu, body control module and and transmission control module if your cars an auto. if the repairing dealer is the dealer that sold you the car and you want your money back pm me your email address as i might be able to help, good luck, steve

esp/abs kicking in when your braking on rough or bumpy road is expected and acceptable. what isnt acceptable is engine failing. see if you can get info on stored fault codes in engine ecu, body control module and and transmission control module if your cars an auto. if the repairing dealer is the dealer that sold you the car and you want your money back pm me your email address as i might be able to help, good luck, steve

Hi Steve, sorry seems to be some confusion the car drives ok no engine failing just this strange noise every so often like a spring recoiling and sometimes like the previous post, sounds like and electric motor wurring for a few seconds like something disengaging and the engaging if you see what I mean???

Sara

Sounds about right, as the ESP is all about diverting power to the relevant wheels for braking and acceleration to get the car out smoothly, so the electrics kicking in probably a motor to drive the ESP (or an ESP pump if the Foci has one!), if it goes away after a few seconds, then it sounds like the ESP has done its job, and has gone back to sleep till the next time...

Thats the problem with all this new wizardry inside cars... they make the cars so good and packed with gadgets, you dont know if the gadgets working, or failing...

Thanks for the info. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have worked out what the noise is the engaging disengaging is the thing that first goes clonk when you first start off form cold start abs I think.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club