Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Searching for alarm fuse

Kev D

My May 07 S-Max decided to activate its own wipers this morning without rain, and I couldn't switch them off even when exiting and locking the car. The alarm then went off until I drove off again, the wipers gradually slowed from fast to normal, then intermittent before stopping altogether and now won't restart.

That's not the problem - I located the wiper fuse, but the alarm keeps triggering intermittently and I cannot find the alarm fuse. The manual says it's in the rear fuse box, but the layout diagram looks nothing like the actual fuse box! My garage cannot take the car until Friday and I'll get an ASBO at this rate by then. Anybody got any ideas where I can find the correct fuse layout online or something??? :blink:

Hi-

sorry no solution but mine has started doing the same today! Removing the wiper fuse stopped the wipers but one is up and one is down; replacing the fuse still does not make them work. Since doing that, however, the alarm has only gone off once - and without the hazard flashers. Only goes off for a second or two as well..... most odd.

Hi-

sorry no solution but mine has started doing the same today! Removing the wiper fuse stopped the wipers but one is up and one is down; replacing the fuse still does not make them work. Since doing that, however, the alarm has only gone off once - and without the hazard flashers. Only goes off for a second or two as well..... most odd.

Hiya nedludd

Hope you're sorted now - I eventually drove to the dealer that same afternoon and told them to find the fuse - the advice they had given me over the phone didn't work. Luckily, they had ordered my part ready for Friday and it had arrived within 2 hours so they fitted it on the spot - new wiper relay under warranty. Big up for Inchcape Bracknell! So I'm a happy bunny and I'm back onside with the neighbours.

Mine goes in tomorrow.

they'd just had one in - it was a battery backup device or sometnhing similar.

Roll on tomorrow!

Mine goes in tomorrow.

they'd just had one in - it was a battery backup device or sometnhing similar.

Roll on tomorrow!

Mine has started doing the same except that the front wipers don't work at all now and the back wiper now operates if i pull the lever down in the single operation mode. :ph34r::ph34r:

• 3 weeks later...

I have just got the same problem on my April 07 S-Max: random and frequent alarm triggering, plus occasional random wiper activity. Similarly, my fusebox layout and fuse fitment does not match the handbook information.

The dealership says there's no single fuse that powers the alarm: it's interrelated with other components and "there are at least 30 electronic modules on the car depending on the variant"

So no help from Ford, whichever way you turn. Thanks Henry!

Anyone found a cure?

===================================

My May 07 S-Max decided to activate its own wipers this morning without rain, and I couldn't switch them off even when exiting and locking the car. The alarm then went off until I drove off again, the wipers gradually slowed from fast to normal, then intermittent before stopping altogether and now won't restart.

That's not the problem - I located the wiper fuse, but the alarm keeps triggering intermittently and I cannot find the alarm fuse. The manual says it's in the rear fuse box, but the layout diagram looks nothing like the actual fuse box! My garage cannot take the car until Friday and I'll get an ASBO at this rate by then. Anybody got any ideas where I can find the correct fuse layout online or something??? :blink:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, new to the forum so thought I would give a little more info to this thread as it may be of use to someone in the future.

As some of you are now aware, the biggest problem with the s-max is the poxy alarm!

The problem is caused by water getting into the alarm sounder module which is located under the front ns wheel arch.

The only cure is to get the alarm sounder replaced at the dealers.

In the mean time, fuse F26 in the central fuse box provides the power to the alarm sounder. Unfortunately Ford also provided this sounder with an internal battery, so pulling the fuse will not instantly silence the alarm but will eventually as the battery drains and will prevent the alarm from sounding again while you are waiting for the part to arrive at the dealers! (The wipers will also return to normal function).

To access and identify the fuse, you need to remove a small piece of carpet under the glove box held on with 2 plastic fasteners (these just pull off) then there is a small latch which when turned will release the fuse box which is hinged at the back so just pull it down far enough to get your hand in.

Fuse F26 is a 5A and is third from the bottom on the left.

Hope this helps.

Hi all, new to the forum so thought I would give a little more info to this thread as it may be of use to someone in the future.

As some of you are now aware, the biggest problem with the s-max is the poxy alarm!

The problem is caused by water getting into the alarm sounder module which is located under the front ns wheel arch.

In the mean time, fuse F26 in the central fuse box provides the power to the alarm sounder. Unfortunately Ford also provided this sounder with an internal battery, so pulling the fuse will not instantly silence the alarm but will eventually as the battery drains and will prevent the alarm from sounding again while you are waiting for the part to arrive at the dealers! (The wipers will also return to normal function).

To access and identify the fuse, you need to remove a small piece of carpet under the glove box held on with 2 plastic fasteners (these just pull off) then there is a small latch which when turned will release the fuse box which is hinged at the back so just pull it down far enough to get your hand in.

Hope this helps.

Cheers for that, I guess we will soon create a common known fault topic ones we are settled.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for posting this up.

We have always had an intermittent 'alarm service required' and 'immobiliser active' message cropping up from time to time ever since our '56 model was new. Garage couldn't find a problem. Suggested a software problem.

Then when the wipers started going crazy and the only way to stop them was to pull the F22 fuse we were foxed. Searched the internet and found this post, booked the car in. Meanwhile the alarm started to sound , without the hazards, so thanks to you we knew which fuse to take out so everyone could get some sleep!

Garage have replaced, for free, the alarm module. Happened to have one in stock thank goodness. So fingers crossed it is all back to normal now. I wonder if the alarm messages will stop cropping up too?

Hope this helps.

Hi TJam

and welcome.

The problem is sadly very well known and your dealer did the proper thing, you should have no more troubles with alarm or wipers untill the siren module will get water again.

Now when you know where we are, please feel free to ask questions and share your experience on this forum.

Happy motoring

• 2 weeks later...

My 07 SMAX started the wipers all by itself on double fast speed in the middle of the day in the local highstreet :blink: with no rain in sight! Then as I parked up to see what the problem was (ignition off and wipers still frantic) the alarm triggered - not good in town as you can imagine! :o

Finally got home, wipers going, alarm singing to the neighbours and I'm starting to get a little annoyed. :angry: Pulled the fuse out to stop the wipers (not like it is shown in the book - that has either not been updated or a chimp wrote the manual) alarm now silent until at 8pm the car starts singing again. RAC called for advice - I can disconnect the battery but don't reconnect it as the engine managment system will not allow the car to start. As FORD refused to collect it the neighbours had to suffer. A week later the car still can't be called in to FORD as according to them 'we don't know what to do - but it's a known fault and we forgot to recall your car'. Sooooooo helpful-not. Since then the hazard lights have been going, the car wont lock, I've had a steering malfunction, messages on my screen saying that the alarm needs a service, the windows open and close without being anywhere near the vehicle, the boot wont close and the indicators have malfunctioned. I'm not looking forward to my 10 mile drive tomorrow in the snow to my local dealer.

Tip - report this to Ford Customer Services on the main FORD site. Very helpful chap tells me that this should all be covered under Warranty and Ford will pay. Depending on length of time in the garage they'll cough up for a hire car too. Also as my wipers have stripped the rubber off they'll replace those. Any attributable fault to the original Manufacturers fault will be renewed under their terms of proxy to the original fault - worth knowing. A copy of their full terms and conditions are worth a read. Selling you a dodgy car is potentially illegal!! :ph34r:

Other than that the car has been fine........Happy motoring SMAX owners!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

My S-MAX alarm started going off last night 4pm no hazard lights, I called the dealership and they already had one down there with the alarm going mad. I tried to go through the alarm setup to see if I could disable the alarm but no! then as I took the keys out of the ignition the wipers started going mad! I recalled the dealer they said I could take it to them and they would garage it overnight (so I didn't have to keep everyone awake all night.)

Picture the scene, driving down there on a lovely spring evening (rush hour, very busy) with the sun shinning and the wipers going like the clappers my daughter and I did feel like a couple of fools!

£25 down on cabs (they had no courtesy car available) I shall be ringing them shortly to find out what they can or have done.

Just as a precaution I've printed the posts from here so they won't be fobbing me off with any excuses.

Wish me luck. will post back with outcome.

My 07 SMAX started the wipers all by itself on double fast speed in the middle of the day in the local highstreet :blink: with no rain in sight! Then as I parked up to see what the problem was (ignition off and wipers still frantic) the alarm triggered - not good in town as you can imagine! :o

Finally got home, wipers going, alarm singing to the neighbours and I'm starting to get a little annoyed. :angry: Pulled the fuse out to stop the wipers (not like it is shown in the book - that has either not been updated or a chimp wrote the manual) alarm now silent until at 8pm the car starts singing again. RAC called for advice - I can disconnect the battery but don't reconnect it as the engine managment system will not allow the car to start. As FORD refused to collect it the neighbours had to suffer. A week later the car still can't be called in to FORD as according to them 'we don't know what to do - but it's a known fault and we forgot to recall your car'. Sooooooo helpful-not. Since then the hazard lights have been going, the car wont lock, I've had a steering malfunction, messages on my screen saying that the alarm needs a service, the windows open and close without being anywhere near the vehicle, the boot wont close and the indicators have malfunctioned. I'm not looking forward to my 10 mile drive tomorrow in the snow to my local dealer.

Tip - report this to Ford Customer Services on the main FORD site. Very helpful chap tells me that this should all be covered under Warranty and Ford will pay. Depending on length of time in the garage they'll cough up for a hire car too. Also as my wipers have stripped the rubber off they'll replace those. Any attributable fault to the original Manufacturers fault will be renewed under their terms of proxy to the original fault - worth knowing. A copy of their full terms and conditions are worth a read. Selling you a dodgy car is potentially illegal!! :ph34r:

Other than that the car has been fine........Happy motoring SMAX owners!!

Good luck Dawnl,

with a bit of it should be already fixed if they have alarm siren unit in stock. It just takes several clicks in the ford system to find out what to do :)

Just heard from the garage, the parts not in should be in and fixed thursday, I asked if the technician could locate the fuses to silence the alarm, he said he couldn't so feeling in a sarcastic mood I proceeded to tell him about fuse F26 and what that could do, he just answered sorry love I don't know anything about that, so I'm off to the car rental to get a hire car, when you've got kids and their social lives ie clubs etc having no car is a bit of a problem.

Good luck Dawnl,

with a bit of it should be already fixed if they have alarm siren unit in stock. It just takes several clicks in the ford system to find out what to do :)

It's funny that so may dealers are afraid of touching fuses - most of the guys had the car in the garage rather than a garage removing a fuse. I wonder if they do not want any responsibility if something goes wrong afterwards. Don't think it's a very good design when you got wiper problems due to alarm syren, do you? Maybe removing a fuse is not such a good idea after all. It's Ok to keep your neigbours happy during one night but driving without might be a problem.

Hi

Alarm problem sorted,

But now I have another problem, I'm starting a new topic on power steering!!!!!!!

It's funny that so may dealers are afraid of touching fuses - most of the guys had the car in the garage rather than a garage removing a fuse. I wonder if they do not want any responsibility if something goes wrong afterwards. Don't think it's a very good design when you got wiper problems due to alarm syren, do you? Maybe removing a fuse is not such a good idea after all. It's Ok to keep your neigbours happy during one night but driving without might be a problem.

I finally had my car looked at despite the rant to my local dealer. I did however make a verbal complaint to Ford Head Office and by jove things began to move pretty fast :rolleyes: . If the car could not be fixed I was going to be supplied witha hire care and Ford have continually followed up every aspect of my complaint and called me serevarl times since to make sure I am content with the repair - it went in twice in the end as they had not reset the warning lnotices so my power steering had a ghost malfunction! Ford repaired and replaced free of charge with lots of humble pie thrown in for good measure. So worth pursuing Ford Head Office people for a resolution and they must have kicked some butt at my local Ford dealer too!! :lol: Happy days - for now :ph34r:

• 1 year later...

My 07 smax with 26k miles at 22.35 on new years eve developed the alarm sounding problem. 14 times the alarm sounded. Fortunately it couldn't be heard over the explosions of all my neighbors fireworks as much as it would have any other evening. Alarm even sounded when the alarm was left off. The next business day i started the smax to take to main dealer and wipers would not work in the rain in the first instance so I waited for the next day when it was not raining to drive smax to main dealer. The next day I started smax and this time wipers would not stop from wiping the windscreen in their fastest setting but today it was not raining. Typical!

I drove smax to Gates Ford Harlow and parked it in their repairs queue. Wipers were still wiping away in their fastest mode despite car not having keys in ignition so they loaned me a spanner to disconnect battery. Car is out of warranty now so Henrys pockets will be benefiting from the looming repair bill funds due to what sounds like Henrys poor design of the Alarm Control Unit in the first instance.