Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Exhaust Manifold Replacement - Cost?

cressws1

Car failed MOT last year on the piece of flex pipe coming away from the manifold at the front end of the exhaust. Its gone again this year and the mechanic who replaced the flex last time did warn that this may happen and if so would need to replace the exhaust manifold. Has anyone had this done and if so any tips/things to look out for or to make sure they do. Also any ideas of possible cost involved?

Car failed MOT last year on the piece of flex pipe coming away from the manifold at the front end of the exhaust. Its gone again this year and the mechanic who replaced the flex last time did warn that this may happen and if so would need to replace the exhaust manifold. Has anyone had this done and if so any tips/things to look out for or to make sure they do. Also any ideas of possible cost involved?

i replaced the manifold/downpipe on my 1.6 although i realise these are different, done it myself for about £80 inc new gaskets.

just checked out a website that i sometimes use, and yes you are correct - the manifold is seperate. tbh it wasnt worth repairing, replacement would have been a better choice

see here,

http://www.onlineautomotive.co.uk/Products.aspx?ProductID=375593&VehicleID=285186

So am I right in thinking that if anything, It would be the cat' that needed replacing not the manifold, As the joint is between the flex and the cat NOT the flex and the manifold?

He briefly showed me the joint and it looked like the joint on the non-flex pipe side (whether it was cat or manifold) was basically made of rust.

So am I right in thinking that if anything, It would be the cat' that needed replacing not the manifold, As the joint is between the flex and the cat NOT the flex and the manifold?

He briefly showed me the joint and it looked like the joint on the non-flex pipe side (whether it was cat or manifold) was basically made of rust.

ahh, so you mean its the flange thats fubarred? not the actual flexi section? I dont see a problem with this unless its leaking?

It is leaking. On a cold morning you can see hot air escaping from the joint. I had the flex replaced last year and now its doing the same again. I'm not too good at stuff like this, Alright with the electrics bits and bobs but this is beyond me. If the same joint is leaking again the mechanic said I would need the bit the flex connects to - not the flex itself - replacing, And he referred to it as the "manifold". But looking at all these diagrams it appears to connect to the cat'!

It is leaking. On a cold morning you can see hot air escaping from the joint. I had the flex replaced last year and now its doing the same again. I'm not too good at stuff like this, Alright with the electrics bits and bobs but this is beyond me. If the same joint is leaking again the mechanic said I would need the bit the flex connects to - not the flex itself - replacing, And he referred to it as the "manifold". But looking at all these diagrams it appears to connect to the cat'!

Is there any chance of a picture?

from what your saying, its either the cat or flexi sections that need replacing if the actual flexi is ok.

I will post a few pictures up tomorrow of the section I'm referring to. Cheers for your help.

Local exhaust centre have quoted me £117 inc vat to replace the cat' and have said if the flex needs replacing again they will do this for free as they replaced it less than 12 months ago.

Thats a big worry I thought I would be looking at 300-400 notes.

• 3 weeks later...

Had this done today. £150 inc vat and fitting to replace the catalytic converter and a clamp on the rear of the exhaust. Sorted!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club