Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help Needed, Engine Stuttering/jerking While Accelerating

matty_

hi, first post so some simple advice would be appreciated,

right i have a 1998 ford fiesta 1.25 zetec,

engine was running fine but then the car started stuttering/jerking and i noticed that i was low on petrol so just thought it was this, but i was wrong.

now the car stutters/jerks while accelerating hard, mainly in 2nd.3rd gear but does it in all,

i checked all spark plugs and HT leads they seam fine,

topped up with fuel,

replaced TPS

cleaned throttle body with carb cleaner, but the engine still stutters

could it be a dirty/clogged fuel filter? or anything else.

BTW the car idles ok-ish it idles about 1100, but drops and rises a little but nothing major, thanks guy

matt

The leads and plugs may look fine, but could be breaking down under load. Do you know when theyb were last changed. I normally change these as a matter of course when buying a used car. If these were changed fairly recently it may be the coil pack is on its way out.

i dont think they have ever been changed, its done 57,000 miles and has been standing for a while.

cheers matt

Hi

I have a Ford KA which has just had a new clutch put in few weeks back and when accelerating it stutters and jerks. Could it still be due to sparks or air filter given it had a service just in February?

Could well be. It is common for the Leads and Coil Packs to go on KA's and Fiestas. The Leads and Plugs should be changed every 3 to 5 years no matter what the mileage. In fact both the KA's we owned including the SportKA needed new plugs and leads because they started to break down, causing the car to stutter and miss.

Could well be. It is common for the Leads and Coil Packs to go on KA's and Fiestas. The Leads and Plugs should be changed every 3 to 5 years no matter what the mileage. In fact both the KA's we owned including the SportKA needed new plugs and leads because they started to break down, causing the car to stutter and miss.

Thanks for your reply so just to confirm when i go to get parts (as i normally get them myself) am i asking for lead and coil pack for car in question? When you say lead what lead are you referring to?

Thanks for your reply so just to confirm when i go to get parts (as i normally get them myself) am i asking for lead and coil pack for car in question? When you say lead what lead are you referring to?

the leads he's refering to are the HT LEADS, HIGH TENSION leads, the ones that connect the spark plugs to the coil pack, i think this is the problem with my fiesta aswell

matt

the leads he's refering to are the HT LEADS, HIGH TENSION leads, the ones that connect the spark plugs to the coil pack, i think this is the problem with my fiesta aswell

matt

Nice one thanks for that guys

Could be a number of things.

Plugs/leads

MAF sensor

Dirty Throttle Body

Lambda Sensor

Fuel Filter

Idle Control Valve

Could be a number of things.

Plugs/leads

MAF sensor

Dirty Throttle Body

Lambda Sensor

Fuel Filter

Idle Control Valve

** throttle body is clean

** new fuel filter

** lamda sensor is new,

i got a coil pack and lead so i'll be putting them on and hoping it cures it

cheers for the reply

matt

** throttle body is clean

** new fuel filter

** lamda sensor is new,

i got a coil pack and lead so i'll be putting them on and hoping it cures it

cheers for the reply

matt

Sorry, but I hope that is leads and not lead. All the HT Leads should be changed.

Cheers

Sorry, but I hope that is leads and not lead. All the HT Leads should be changed.

Cheers

ahahahha yeah i meant LEADS,,, so i just swapped the leads and coil pack, the seemed better but not perfect,, so i swapped the plugs aswell, noticed that the white coasting on the one plug shattered while i pulled it out of the plug socket, job done car runs 100% perfect thanks for all the help and info TOP JOB :)

best thing is only cost me £7.50 for filter, £10 for TPS and £7.49 for redex and carb cleaner, CHUFFED

cheers guys matt

• 8 years later...

My son's car (2000 Fiesta 1.4 efi) had the same issue. Turned out to be a faulty starter. Pull on the wires going on to the starter to see if you replicate the fault. Finally resolved after new plugs ,leads and coil pack.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club