Show
Photo

Mondeo Or Focus, Which Is Best Value For Money ?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 17,454 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 20 May 2011 - 03:52 PM

Excessive vibration tends to be the best identifier that the DMF is on its way out. if you sit in the car and its like a massage, dont buy the car. Otherwise if there is very little vibration, you may not have to worry.

Clutch will only last as long as it takes its owner to get to 60! As a rule, if the boy racer thrashes the car about theres more chance that the clutch will have slipped, meaning its going to be shaved a lot sooner, other than that they can last up to 80k without a problem! if its done 80k and is still on the original clutch its done well, but could well need replacing soon! as for telling if the clutch is gone, smell is the best test. if you get someone to sit in the car with it idling, get them to apply the handbreak and start to bite the car through the handbrake.

1) if the smell changes as it gets more bite, the clutch is on its way out.
2) if the car bites, and almost stalls, the clutch is good
3) if the clutch bites, and the car rolls - you need to tighten the handbreak (I found this one out first hand lol!)

Overall its a gamble with no service history or printouts. If you review the handbook, and contact the dealer / garage who serviced it - if its a dealer they should be able to print anything they have done. Otherwise you cant really rely on it, and it could last you a lifetime, or die a death in minutes!

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 simpledan

simpledan

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Ford Model: mondeo

Posted 25 May 2011 - 11:36 AM

I agree with some of the posts. focus will be cheaper to run. mondeo is a lovely car but just a tad more expensive to run. good luck :)

#18 Bill Badger

Bill Badger

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Name: Andy
  • Ford Model: Mondeo 1.8TDCi Titanium Plus
  • Year: 2011

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:24 PM

Go for a Mondeo 2.0 130BHP. On a trim level, you get more with the Mondeo than the Focus, plus more legroom is available. I have just had a fantastic 6 years with a Mondeo and it is the best car that I have had to date. Just replaced it with a new 1.8TDCi Titanium. I have now had one of every model Mondeo, and they are better each time. By coincidence, the last two times I have looked at the Focus instead, and both times concluded that the trim level is better on the Mondeo and (particularly when buying new) the discounts are also better on the Mondeo, thus giving a better deal all round in my opinion. I must point out though that I am 6'2" tall, and to drive the Focus would mean having the drivers seat all the way back, thus reducing rear legroom for my tall son.

I'm not knocking the Focus though, and it may just come down to the best buy is the one to go for. Realistically, the running cost won't be that much different since they share the same type of engine and have the same number of wheels.

Don't be put off by high mileages on either car, but if it is a Focus estate, be wary of white ones with a hole in the roof that smell of alsations.......

#19 hhhugues

hhhugues

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Name: h
  • Year: 2005

Posted 25 May 2011 - 04:27 PM

thanks for your input ! i now have found a mondeo estate tdci 130 with 100 000, it's on an 05 plate so not so recent aynmore, but in very good nick, It's a Ghia too, so plenty of toys and especially a great stereo (i certainly concur with itsrelfy on that). It feels really tight and you couldn't tell its done the mileage. Unfortuantely i don't have as detailed a history as yours, but its got all the stamps and a receipt for a new turbo at 70 000. Only been driving it for a day and the only thing that bothers me a bit so far is a really hard to engage reverse, but maybe i just need to get used to the gearbox, i have a 3 month warranty so if it's too bad i can always bring it back !

#20 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 17,454 posts
Contributor

Posted 25 May 2011 - 04:51 PM

Good Choice, just make sure you use that warranty well - What about Clutch? has that been done at all?

#21 hhhugues

hhhugues

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Name: h
  • Year: 2005

Posted 01 June 2011 - 12:50 PM

the seller reckons the clutch has been done already considering its mileage- but that's just what he says, there's no receipt to back that up. It feels all right though, so touch wood it'll be fine !

#22 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 17,454 posts
Contributor

Posted 01 June 2011 - 01:00 PM

Well best of luck with it and heres wishing you many happy miles motoring!

#23 Hjalle

Hjalle

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Name: Hjalmar
  • Ford Model: Ford Fiesta mk6.5
  • Year: 2006

Posted 29 June 2014 - 11:54 AM

I am in the same situation now as hhhugues was 3 years ago.

I am moving to Sweden from Australia for 18months and want an estate to throw junk and friends in for the road trips I plan to have.

I am looking at either a 04/05 Moneeo 2.0 or 05/06 Focus 1.8 Flexifuel both with 150,000-200,000km on the clock. The mission for the car is to be as trouble free and cheap as possible before I get rid of it. Which would be best on petrol?

How did you go with the Mondeo? Is it still the pick or am I better to look at a Focus?

#24 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 17,454 posts
Contributor

Posted 29 June 2014 - 09:43 PM

I would say at that age you will have issues with the mondeo injectors.

You would need to look carefully at the service history, make sure you get the right one! what sort of mileage are you doing.

#25 Hjalle

Hjalle

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 11:43 PM

They injectors dont sound like a fun repair! Should they have been changed and is that included the standard service?

At the moment i travel about 600-700km a week, but when I move to Sweden uni will be much closer so it will only be local trips on a weekly basis and then a few longer trips to like the Alps, Germany and around Sweden

#26 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 17,454 posts
Contributor

Posted 30 June 2014 - 08:24 AM

they are not a serviceable item. They were built defective which means that they just seem to gunk up and choke then start mis-spraying. Depending on what currency you use, your looking at around say €100 per injector to be reconditioned, or €200 per injector for a new one, then garage bills on top to get them coded to the car.

#27 Hjalle

Hjalle

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 08:27 AM

Ohh that's definitely a cost I want to avoid! Maybe id be better to go for a focus

Do you know anything about the 1.8 Flexifuel? I've got the 1.6 duratec in my Fiesta but I think it would be less great in a Focus due to the added weight

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

#28 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 17,454 posts
Contributor

Posted 01 July 2014 - 09:34 AM

cant say I have had much experience with the flexifuel system so cant offer too much advice but I always question the balance between the extra weight to carry the extra fuel source, versus the actual MPG gain you get from it... if it was costing an extra 5 MPG to lug it around, but you save many many more MPG's then its worth it, but it seems a daft excercise to say waste 5MPG carrying it and only gaining say 8MPG by using it....

#29 Hjalle

Hjalle

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 11:01 PM

That is a fair point James, the reason I am looking at the 1.8 Flexifuel is because it is what 8/10 Focus estates are on the second hand market in Sweden.

The Mondeo sounds like a risky buy unless I can find one with swapped injectors and I have never found a comfortable seating position in a Focus. I guess I'll just need to keep looking for something else.

Thanks for the advice though

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users