Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Powered Steering

shaunyg

ok so forgive me if this is a dumb question but does the 2010 focus tdci not have a powered steering reservoir? i've looked under the bonnet and looked in the oweners manual but says 'not required' in the section about checking levels etc can anyone tell me where it is?

ok so forgive me if this is a dumb question but does the 2010 focus tdci not have a powered steering reservoir? i've looked under the bonnet and looked in the oweners manual but says 'not required' in the section about checking levels etc can anyone tell me where it is?

i cant say for sure but theres a possibility that it has electric power steering

Im sure it has the electric motor power steering. which is why you wont have a reservoir. :)

thanks very much, i'll check but i'm sure it prob will be now. not known of electric powered steering before, this is new to me :)

Apparently its just an electric motor., compared to the whole hydraulic pump, fluid and lines, this is just one single motor. Apparently by using this, you can even save about 3 MPG because its lighter and more easy to use! :)

http://www.carblogindia.com/electric-power-steering-vs-hydraulic-power-steering/

hmmmm while having the nearside headlight out i found the powered steering reservoir, pretty much directly below it! :huh:

Can you top it up if the level goes down?

not overly sure, i only noticed it and dint really pay much attention to it, too busy juggling my light lol will have another look when my next set of bulbs arrive and i fit them

So they put the power steering fluid reservoir, below a headlight unit, where you cant really check the fluid levels, without removing the headlight assembly?

Did I just make that up, or are the Newer Foci built by evil / mad scientists?

It should be maintenance free. It's under there to make (well meaning) tampering at home more difficult.

The power steering consists of an electric motor which pumps the steering fluid to move the steering rack. This fluid is in a reservior attached to the end of the motor and doesn't need to be topped up/maintained.

I know this because the electric motor failed on my 2006 1.8 TDCI and I had to replace it.

Looks like this:

post-9117-0-14120600-1305629535_thumb.jp

hmmmm while having the nearside headlight out i found the powered steering reservoir, pretty much directly below it! :huh:

I think this is only on some models.

so if you were to ever develop a leak, and you didnt know where to find this reservoir...

I think Nigel S hit it on the head "home tampering" aka Fords way of saying "Loss of earnings for an easy job..."

• 4 years later...

Hi been reading all this as i have a problem with my steering" when i start my 61plate 1.6td ford focus estate in the morning my steering is impossible to move for about a min' then yesterday i started it and a amber warning said ( assisted steering malfunction ' service needed . So as there is a ford dealer nr me i popped in for some advise . And i asked them how much a elec steering motor was all they wanted to do was plug it in for £ 80 plus vat . Eventurely they looked on computer for the motor and told me that mone is not under the nearside light but part of the steering rack and would cost £100.00 plus vat and lobour or they said it could be a modual . But did not rearly no for sure ( lot of use they were ) any one know anything about this ? 

All Focus MK2/Mk2.5 versions (except the 1.4/1.6 Duratec and 1.6 Duratec TI-VCT) have EHPAS (Electro Hydraulic Power Assisted Steering). This is basically a conventional Hydraulic power steering system where the pump is powered by an electric motor instead of the engine.

All Focus MK3/MK3.5 versions (except the 1.6 TI-VCT) have EPAS (Electric Power Assisted Steering). This system is fully electric and has an electric motor directly mounted onto the steering rack.

In case of problems with the EPAS system it will often be necessary to change the complete steering rack.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club