Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Buckled Alloy Wheels

Hutch2414

Hi all just Had my Ford Fiesta zetec 1.4TD

servered and was informed of a buckled wheel. As the car is still under full manufacturers warranty you would think the wheels would be covered but sadly not so i was advised to get in contact with Ford Direct customer services tel 0845 8411111.But sadly still with know joy Ford know about this problem and are dilberately making customers buy new wheels. Ford technicians have said there are changing so many of them because the alloy being used is to soft.give them a ring best of luck.

• 1 month later...

hi i have an 58 plate titanium which i ahave had 2 years i had one new alloy last year through a pothole, now i have been told i need 3 new ones as they are buckled i have not hit any major holes our local ford says it is just due to state of roads never had this problem before with alloys!.

I am going to write to ford now i have found this website if i get no joy i may change to non ford alloys just cant afford this each year they said there 180 each including vat has anyone else wrote to ford?

cheers gail

At a guess I cant see buckled wheels being covered , Plus the buckled will problems seem to be more of a problem with bigger alloys on the titanium model.

if ford are aware of a problem they should change it but in general i dont think wheels are covered due to damaged wheels and such being down to driver error and poor road conditions

At a guess I cant see buckled wheels being covered , Plus the buckled will problems seem to be more of a problem with bigger alloys on the titanium model.

if ford are aware of a problem they should change it but in general i dont think wheels are covered due to damaged wheels and such being down to driver error and poor road conditions

( hope this is how i am meant to replie haven't done this before)thanks yeah i know their not covered but this must be a fault as there are alot of people on here with the same problem i have wrote to watchdog as never had this before with alloys and will write to ford but other than that i might buy a set of non ford alloys

Yeah this is definitely a problem with fords weak alloys. There's no question, there are many people who have been driving for several years with no problems and then have several buckled alloys within months of owning a fiesta.

I thought i was one of the lucky ones until recently when i had my tyres changed and was shown there were 2 buckles on the inside of my front left tyre. I'm still driving around on it as it's not effecting the balance of the tyre, but it shows that even people who might think there is no problem with the alloys because they haven't experienced a buckle yet, probably have at least 1 buckles without even realising it.

I should point out i had a service about 6 months ago from ford and nothing was mentioned about the wheel, I've definitely not hit anything hard since. It also appears that we can complain all we want, ford aren't going to do anything about it.

Ford arent the only company having alloy wheel issues.. Does it not make sense it's down to the roads being worse after a few bad winters? I still see potholes that were there after the snow in december, if i hit one i will phone the council to complain not ford though.

Hi,

I had two buckled wheels on my 2009 Fiesta Zetec. Standard Ford alloys and the potholes weren't that bad.

This wasn't covered on the warranty.

Got them repaired for £40 each from The Wheel Dr in Scunthorpe (07957 871412). Car drove better than it ever did once I got them repaired.

I was told by the garage that I could drive with the buckle but if the pressure was too low the tyre could in theory pop off the rim so just be careful.

Hi, i work for ford as a technician. And oh yeah we change loads of alloys. Ford cant replace these on warrenty because the only thing that Buckles the wheels is either bouncin up and down kurbs or potholes. Warrenty items cant be replaced if caused By impact damage.

Hi, i work for ford as a technician. And oh yeah we change loads of alloys. Ford cant replace these on warrenty because the only thing that Buckles the wheels is either bouncin up and down kurbs or potholes. Warrenty items cant be replaced if caused By impact damage.

Hi

I think what we are trying to get at is that there is a fundamental flaw in the material or the design that ford is using to make these alloys. I have been driving 10 years and have owned five cars, all with alloys. The only car I've had a problem with is the fiesta. I'm a careful driver and I steer clear of pot holes as I do not want my car crashing down them. I bought a one year old fiesta zetec s in may 2010, in august 2010 it had to have 4 brand new wheels. There is no way I caused this damage. I like everyone else will occasionally hit a speed hump too fast or maybe find a pot hole we didn't see. But surely these wheels should be made to take some punishment if they are not then surely they are not fit for purpose.

Ford deny there is a problem, well I for one think they are lying, and I think its disgusting, but I guess as it isn't a life threatening problem they don't have to admit anything, and they just collect the sales they get through their customers having to buy replacement wheels. What they wont be getting out of me is the sale of another car.

Regards

Adrian

Hi

I'd just like to chip in my two cents worth over this buckled alloy wheels issue.

I've been driving for 36 years and for the last 20 years, I've owned Vauxhalls, Fords and Citroens and all have had alloy wheels fitted. I owned each car for three years and over and we still have the Citroën which is over nine years old. During ALL of that time, we used the cars mormally and we took care to avoid potholes and drove slowly over speed bumps but, now and again we did clip the odd pothole and went a little fast over the speed bumps but not one of those cars was EVER picked up for buckled alloy wheels during a service, MOT or whilst having a tyre fitted.

My present car is is 2010 Fiesta Zetec Mk7 and I am a very good driver and don't go racing over speed bumps and driving over potholes, so it will be extremely interesting to see if my Fiesta is picked up for any buckled alloys during it's first Ford service.

If it is, then it will prove not only to me but also to thousands of other Fiesta owners that we were damn right to blame Ford and their 'crappy' alloy wheels. So my little Ford Technician friend, it does not matter that you have qualifications galore, facts are facts and there are just too many Fiesta owners out there who have found or been told that, they have buckled alloys on their 'pride and joy'. You cannot argue with numbers like those who have reported this issue in these forums so, please do not come into these forums spouting in true and time honoured Ford fashion, that it is us, the Fiesta drivers who are at fault here.

The alloy wheels fitted to some Ford models and, the Fiesta in particular, are manufactured from 'sub-standard' materials and it's about time that Ford owned up and admit that there is an issue here and then fully compensate all Ford owners who have been told that they have buckled alloys on their cars.

Rant over!

• Like 1

how can you rant if you haven't even had a buckled wheel as yet?

Hello! I would have thought that this would have been obvious, even to you! I'm sticking up for all of the Fiesta owners who have posted their alloy wheels issue in these forums.

Steady - 'even to you' has some nasty implications. Ryan's question contained no such implications - so why is it necessary to add an acidic reply?

I'm one of the unlucky ones to have had to replace an alloy wheel. Set me back £200 <_< But to be honest, the pothole I hit could have damaged a tank so I'll let my Fiesta off, just this once!!

Hi

I'd just like to chip in my two cents worth over this buckled alloy wheels issue.

I've been driving for 36 years and for the last 20 years, I've owned Vauxhalls, Fords and Citroens and all have had alloy wheels fitted. I owned each car for three years and over and we still have the Citroën which is over nine years old. During ALL of that time, we used the cars mormally and we took care to avoid potholes and drove slowly over speed bumps but, now and again we did clip the odd pothole and went a little fast over the speed bumps but not one of those cars was EVER picked up for buckled alloy wheels during a service, MOT or whilst having a tyre fitted.

My present car is is 2010 Fiesta Zetec Mk7 and I am a very good driver and don't go racing over speed bumps and driving over potholes, so it will be extremely interesting to see if my Fiesta is picked up for any buckled alloys during it's first Ford service.

If it is, then it will prove not only to me but also to thousands of other Fiesta owners that we were damn right to blame Ford and their 'crappy' alloy wheels. So my little Ford Technician friend, it does not matter that you have qualifications galore, facts are facts and there are just too many Fiesta owners out there who have found or been told that, they have buckled alloys on their 'pride and joy'. You cannot argue with numbers like those who have reported this issue in these forums so, please do not come into these forums spouting in true and time honoured Ford fashion, that it is us, the Fiesta drivers who are at fault here.

The alloy wheels fitted to some Ford models and, the Fiesta in particular, are manufactured from 'sub-standard' materials and it's about time that Ford owned up and admit that there is an issue here and then fully compensate all Ford owners who have been told that they have buckled alloys on their cars.

Rant over!

It appears Ford have been told not to inform customers of buckled wheels during a service. Probably to prevent things looking as bad as they obviously are. I had a service 6 months ago, was told everything was fine, have not hit any pothole or curb since, had to have a front tyre changed due to a puncture, went to kwik fit and was told my front left tyre had 2 buckles in it. I could see them for myself, I'm still using it due to lack of funds, but it goes to show it's very easy to have buckles without realising it.

Hello! I would have thought that this would have been obvious, even to you! I'm sticking up for all of the Fiesta owners who have posted their alloy wheels issue in these forums.

I was just wondering why you had a long rant about something that hasn't effected you yet. No idea why you are being condescending to anyone who disagrees with you tbh. does that normally help you to get your point across?

Ford deny there is a problem, well I for one think they are lying, and I think its disgusting, but I guess as it isn't a life threatening problem they don't have to admit anything, and they just collect the sales they get through their customers having to buy replacement wheels. What they wont be getting out of me is the sale of another car.

Regards

Adrian

Totally agree, watchdog rang me last year re this problem and asked me if i thought this could be a safety concern, told them i thought this would depend on how fast you were going when the wheel decided to buckle and how quick the tyre deflated as a result of the buckle, re your comment "life threatening" I just wonder how many accidents have happened as a result of these wheels buckling?....One thing is for sure the rate at which these wheels buckle is not normal, i have also had conversations with Ford Mechanics in the past who have said they change a large amount of these wheels for buckling !

Hello I am new to the forum but would like to add my experience. My wife has a 1.4 Titanium on a 10 plate and just been in for the 1st service. We were advised all 4 wheels were buckled they are the 16" 5 spoke and it would cost £720 to replace. the car has only done 8k. I have been driving over 30 years and my wife has been driving similar. We both change our cars every 2-3 years so that equates to around 25 cars between us driving over virtually same roads.

We have never been told before on a service that 1 wheel was bucked let alone all 4 within 12 months. You should not be having to change your wheels before your tyres surely that doesn't seem right.

I have taken this up with Ford and they are saying they are not aware of any problems with these wheels and they are not covered by warranty. I have asked them to have a look on this site they might see a few cases on here with the same issue.

In my view the wheels are not fit for purpose if they are going to buckle with every pothole. And if this is the case why would you spend £720 for 4 new wheels of the same quality if the same is going to happen at the 1st contact with an uneven road (that would be driving back out of the dealership then)

Has anyone had any joy yet with Ford on this issue ?

Sorry guys my previous post was not meant to offend anybody, im not questioning anybody driving standards or the pride in their fiesta. I myself drive a fiesta and have had to replace a wheel through no fault of my own. i was just stating how warrenty claims work. Ford will not pay ifthey dont have to. The wheels are made from monkey metal and im sure they know that. Regards phil.

Sorry guys my previous post was not meant to offend anybody, im not questioning anybody driving standards or the pride in their fiesta. I myself drive a fiesta and have had to replace a wheel through no fault of my own. i was just stating how warrenty claims work. Ford will not pay ifthey dont have to. The wheels are made from monkey metal and im sure they know that. Regards phil.

Hi Phil

My apologies for having a moan about your response to the alloy wheel issue on the Fiesta. It was not meant to be personal and I do hope that you did not take it that way. I was basically just fed up with reading about the countless number of Fiesta owners who, having aired their concerns in these forums, quite clearly have issue with their alloys which Ford just seem to be denying.

With regard to my Fiesta which I have owned since October 1st 2010, I am very careful when approaching speed bumps or potholes and, as the car has not yet been in for a service or tyre check, I may well already have a buckled wheel, or two but, only time will tell.

Regards, BHeart

I was looking to buy a mk7 zetec S but these topics are putting me off :/ are the 16" zetec S ones ok or are they too prone to buckling like the 17" and the 16" titanium ones?

Thanks, Jack

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club