Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Standard Head Unit Sub And Amp Fitting

GeorgeZS

Hi all,

Does anyone know of any guides/threads on how to go about connecting a Sub and Amplifier up to the original Fiesta Head Unit? I am aware you connect a line level converter from either splicing into the rear speaker cables or off the back of the head unit, which is preferably what id aim to do. Just looking for confirmation of whether this is what id need to do and whether there's any guides etc. to help me do this.

Cheers!

George

Hi dude, I fitted one today in my Mk7.

Basically grab an inline converter, connect the 2x Rights and 2x Lefts of them together (so you have 2 positives and 2 negatives).

Remove the rear trim at the top of the boot to get access to the rear quarter panel (assuming you have a three door) and splice it into the speaker connection. You can plug the speaker back in now.

Then trim some RCA's and job done, basically.

Ok im with you, thanks for the reply. How did you go about connecting the remote lead? Was there also a suitable hole in the firewall for the power lead to run through, or did you have to drill through and then grommet the hole?

Cheers

Hi George...

Dont know about connecting to your original head unit, but would advise fitting an aftermarket head unit with a seperate subwoofer control, the seperate control is essential espically if you are using a high output / quality amp and sub, you could just end up with loads of bass, plus a huge difference in sound quality in general, I assure you !

in the instance of a new headunit, the amp remote would be there.

in the instance of the Ford headunit, I would use a tester on the back of the Ford headunit output to see if there is a live thats turns on when the stereo is turned on, or just use an ignition live, eitherway, stick a low amp fuse on this feed to you amp, in an acessable place.

As for the main amp live power lead, stating the obvious, please ensure the fuse is in the engine compartment end !!!, remove the glovebox and run the wire through the gromet, removing the various trims, take your time, it all fits realy nicely and neatly.

The above is just my opnion ?, Regards Sham

Hi George...Dont know about connecting to your original head unit, but would advise fitting an aftermarket head unit with a seperate subwoofer control, the seperate control is essential espically if you are using a high output / quality amp and sub, you could just end up with loads of bass, plus a huge difference in sound quality in general, I assure you !in the instance of a new headunit, the amp remote would be there.in the instance of the Ford headunit, I would use a tester on the back of the Ford headunit output to see if there is a live thats turns on when the stereo is turned on, or just use an ignition live, eitherway, stick a low amp fuse on this feed to you amp, in an acessable place.As for the main amp live power lead, stating the obvious, please ensure the fuse is in the engine compartment end !!!, remove the glovebox and run the wire through the gromet, removing the various trims, take your time, it all fits realy nicely and neatly.The above is just my opnion ?, Regards Sham

Thanks very much for the help, regarding replacing the head unit, not really a fan of after market HU's in the MK7, doesn't look right imo. However I am aware you can get a processor/cleansweep which improves the sq with out changing the head unit, I have briefly looked into this and they're not cheap! Do you know anything about these and whether or not they are worth the cash?

Thanks again

George

Hi dude, I fitted one today in my Mk7.

Basically grab an inline converter, connect the 2x Rights and 2x Lefts of them together (so you have 2 positives and 2 negatives).

Remove the rear trim at the top of the boot to get access to the rear quarter panel (assuming you have a three door) and splice it into the speaker connection. You can plug the speaker back in now.

Then trim some RCA's and job done, basically.

sorry if I'm being really thick here.... just to double check..... are you taking the + and - from both rear Speakers, putting them together so you're connecting the two positives and the two negatives into an inline converter to get 1 positive RCA and one negative RCA, then running it into your amp?

sorry if I'm being really thick here.... just to double check..... are you taking the + and - from both rear speakers, putting them together so you're connecting the two positives and the two negatives into an inline converter to get 1 positive RCA and one negative RCA, then running it into your amp?

Just found this, its connecting the rca converter off the back of the head unit which is what i'd favour, rather than splicing into the rear speaker cables!

Cheers

I don't know how much I trust a how to guide that involves running the power cable alongside the RCA cables (hasnt he heard of interference??) and just "pushing" the cables into place..... just asking for grief when something falls out of place....also, he says it doesnt matter where you shove the wires in?? Of course it does, coz if you have two front speaker and no back Speakers, then you go taking the front speaker feed, you're in effect halfing the power to the front Speakers.... when you should be taking the feed from the rear Speakers.

although it does lighten my eyes to what can be done, so I think I may be stealing some of his ideas, but I would highly recommend NOT following his guide word for word.

thanks for the link buddy.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club