Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wheel Bearing Kit + Headache

bradshaw85

Ok recently i have been getting annoyed with a horrible sound from my focus :(

i took it to National Tyres (NEVER AGAIN!!!) and they say its the Drivers shaft and Wheel Bearings and quoted £450... i priced it all up at Eurocp and 132 for the parts at this point cowboy national tyres can do one.

me being me a money saving !Removed! thought ok lets take it to Kwik fit who diagnosed it with it just being the Wheel bearings... GOOD perfect ok i will buy this kit then from EuroCP.

a mechanic that was reccomended to me from my mum now says that the SNR bearings are crap and not worth the pennies. http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Ford_Focus_1.6_2002/p/car-parts/car-transmission/transmission-parts/wheel-bearing-and-wheel-hub/?628590230&1&026206a25365719ad627d0397522edd7cca9ad49&WBRK

can someone shed some light PLEASE :) and if you know any mechanics in the Warrington area that would be PERFECT !

hi cant comment on your bearing prob. but had front bearing go on mine.mk2 06 plate. was told 145 for the bearing kit and 30 to fit it. turns out its comes as a new hub pretty much. bonkers if you ask me.

if you dont do huge mile, what diff does it make??

andy

sorry to bring bad news to the table but there is a known issue with driveshaft bearing so maybe national diagnosed correctly....don't get me wrong im not praising them i think the quote they gave is a joke!! but consider this....you used your brains and told em to get f@:?>d but how many customers bend over for them???? in fact if i remember rightly watchdog exposed them as robbing tw@ts a few year ago. anyway back on topic here is info from ford tsb, regards steve

TECHNICAL service BULLETIN No.7/2010

12 February 2010

[Printable HTML page]

Circulate to: service Manager Body Shop Manager Parts Manager Foremen Receptionists Technicians

© Ford Motor Company

All rights reserved.

This bulletin represents technical service information only. Without exception all gratis repairs and replacements are subject to the individual warranty and policy procedures of the supervisory Ford Company. The illustrations, technical information, data and descriptive text in this issue, to the best of our knowledge, were correct at the time of publication.

This bulletin supersedes TSB 51/2005 dated 08 July 2005, which should either be destroyed or clearly marked to show it is no longer valid (e.g. with a line across the page). Only refer to the electronic version of this TSB in FordEtis.

Subject/Concern: Grinding noise from the front end during straight-ahead driving and when cornering; Installation of a new halfshaft bearing

Model:

Fiesta 2002.25 (11/2001–09/2008) Build Code: 1D-9C

Transmission/Transaxle: 5-Speed Manual Transaxle (iB5)

Transmission/Transaxle: 4-Speed Automatic Transaxle (AW81-40LE)

Fiesta 2008.75 (07/2008–) Build Code: 8D Onwards

Transmission/Transaxle: 4-Speed Automatic Transaxle (4F27E)

Fusion 2002.75 (06/2002–) Build Date: 2U Onwards

Transmission/Transaxle: 4-Speed Automatic Transaxle (AW81-40LE)

Focus 1999 (08/1998–12/2004) Build Code: WP-4T

Transmission/Transaxle: 5-Speed Manual Transaxle (MTX-75)

Transmission/Transaxle: 6-Speed Manual Transaxle (MT285)

Focus 2004.75 (07/2004–) - includes Coupe Convertible; except vehicles with 2.5L Duratec-RS (VI5) engine Build Code: 4D Onwards

Transmission/Transaxle: 6-Speed Manual Transaxle (MMT6)

Transmission/Transaxle: Automatic Transaxle (CFT23)

Transmission/Transaxle: 6-Speed Automatic Transmission (6DCT450)

C-MAX 2003.75 (06/2003–) Build Code: 3Y Onwards

Transmission/Transaxle: Automatic Transaxle (CFT23)

Transmission/Transaxle: 6-Speed Automatic Transmission (6DCT450)

Kuga 2008.5 (02/2008–) - except vehicles with 2.5L Duratec (VI5) engine Build Code: 8R Onwards

Mondeo 2007.5 (02/2007–) - except vehicles with 2.5L Duratec-ST (VI5) Build Code: 7K Onwards

Transmission/Transaxle: (AWF21)

S-MAX/Galaxy 2006.5 (03/2006–) Build Code: 6S Onwards

Transmission/Transaxle: 6-Speed Manual Transaxle (M66)

Transmission/Transaxle: (AWF21)

Transit/Tourneo Connect 2002.5 (06/2002–) Build Code: 2U Onwards

Transit 2000.5 (01/2000–05/2006) - FWD only Build Code: YB-6J

Transmission/Transaxle: 5-Speed Manual Transaxle (VXT-75)

Transit 2006.5 (04/2006–) - FWD only Build Code: 6T Onwards

Transmission/Transaxle: 5-Speed Manual Transaxle (VXT-75)

Transmission/Transaxle: (VMT6)

Markets: All

Section: 205-04

Summary

If there are concerns relating to grinding noise from the front end during straight-ahead driving and when cornering, the probable cause is a defective halfshaft bearing.

To rectify this concern, the intermediate shaft should be removed and a new halfshaft bearing and halfshaft bearing retainer installed.

• NOTE: When holding the halfshaft bearing retainer and rotating the bearing, a rough feel should clearly be felt. With the vehicle raised, turn the halfshaft via the wheel and listen for grinding noise or rough running of the halfshaft bearing for this purpose.

Parts Required

Description Finis Code Quantity

Halfshaft bearing 1 459 756 1

Halfshaft bearing retainer see FordEcat 1

Self-locking nut for halfshaft bearing retainer See FordEcat 2

Boot and clamp service kit See FordEcat 1

Special Tool(s)

Remover, Bearing/Gear

205-310

Installer, Differential Bearing

205-080

Installer, Timing Cover Seal

303-255

Clamping Tool, Boot Retaining Clamp

204-169

Labor Time

Operation Description Operation No. / Time

Intermediate Shaft - Remove And Install 14 330 0

Halfshaft Bearing - Renew (Intermediate Shaft Removed) 14 331 4

Repair/Claim Coding

Causal Part: Finis Code of the halfshaft bearing

ACES Condition Code: 69

OASIS 597997, 702100, 703300, 790000

Service Instruction

Diagnostics

1. Raise and support the vehicle. For additional information, refer to the corresponding Workshop Manual Section 100-02.

2. NOTE: When holding the intermediate shaft center bearing retainer and rotating the bearing, a rough feel should clearly be felt.

Turn the halfshaft via the wheel and listen for grinding noise or rough running of the halfshaft bearing.

3. Check for a grinding noise or rough running of the halfshaft bearing.

If YES - continue with <Installing a new halfshaft bearing>.

If NO - further diagnosis and testing is necessary. For additional information, refer to the corresponding Workshop Manual Section 100-04.

Installing a new halfshaft bearing

1. Remove the intermediate shaft. For additional information, refer to the corresponding Workshop Manual Section 205-04.

2. Discard the boot clamping strap.

3. Throughly clean the components.

4. NOTE: Note the position of the component before removal.

Press out the halfshaft bearing.

5. WARNING: Align the special tools centrally in order to prevent tilting of the halfshaft bearing on the intermediate shaft.

• NOTE: Make sure that this component is installed to the noted removal position.

Press a new halfshaft bearing (see Parts Required) onto the intermediate shaft up to the stop.

6. CAUTION: Do NOT use cable / zip ties - only use the correct boot and boot clamping strap.

Fill the CV joint with the correct type and quantity of grease (available in the specified CV boot and clamp service kit) (see Parts Required).

7. Install the intermediate shaft. For additional information, refer to the corresponding Workshop Manual Section 205-04.

8. Install a new halfshaft bearing retainer with new self-locking nuts (see Parts Required).

9. Lower the vehicle.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club