Photo

Poor Mpg On My 06 1.6 Tdci (Climate) Focus?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Tempest501

Tempest501

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.6 tdci Zetec (Climate)

Posted 24 May 2011 - 07:12 PM

Hi guys,

I recently changed to a more sensible car as starting a family soon and wife need to learn to drive etc. Now at the garage when I bought the car they said the book mpgs figures were as follows:

Urban 45
Extra Urban 70
Combined 58.9

My normal work journeys have been returning about 40-43 mpgs, this is a fairly short journey so allthough I was hoping this would be better i think its normal. I recently drove down south from Leeds. its is 300 mile journey each way and only managed 55 mpg.

I guess what I am asking is, is this good or bad performance ( icertainly never got anywhere near 70 lol)

Thank you in advance for your advice/answers.

P.S Whereever possible I try keep the revs around 1500-1600.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 SeaGrey

SeaGrey

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Name: Fred
  • Ford Model: Focus Estate Titanium
  • Year: 2010

Posted 24 May 2011 - 08:08 PM

Most people I've spoken to reckon the manufacturers figures are totally unreachable. However, I did a 'super efficient' test drive once in a Toyota and was able to match all figures.

So you could do a test drive with just you in the car, on a flat dual carriageway, at about 55mph constantly for a good few miles, perfect conditions etc..

If you can get near 70mpg then you can be very pleased.

I've just bought a similar car to yours, and plan to do such a test myself.

If you do this type of test well, and it's something you can easily repeat under the same conditions, you can use it as a benchmark in future, if you're suspicious of a problem with the car.

#3 johnH

johnH

Ford Enthusiast

• 1,138 posts
  • Name: John
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 Zetec 1.8 TDCI (Climate)
  • Year: 2006
Contributor

Posted 24 May 2011 - 08:17 PM

i have a 1.8tdci 2006 climate pack...anyways on motorways at 70mph i get 57mpg, highest was 62mpg. so if i go slower i could probably acheive numbers like that.

#4 Tempest501

Tempest501

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 08:56 PM

i have a 1.8tdci 2006 climate pack...anyways on motorways at 70mph i get 57mpg, highest was 62mpg. so if i go slower i could probably acheive numbers like that.

Ye i was going 70 most of the way on motorway and got up to 55mpg. I am not sure if I can get anymore out of it unless I go at lik 55-60 as I acheved th 55 after 300 miles driving. The car has been serviced as well, I was expecting about 60-65 but maybe I was being over optimistic?

#5 johnH

johnH

Ford Enthusiast

• 1,138 posts
  • Name: John
  • Ford Model: Focus mk2 Zetec 1.8 TDCI (Climate)
  • Year: 2006
Contributor

Posted 24 May 2011 - 09:18 PM

well i take the same stance as everyone else that those figures quoted in brochures are a bit exagerated especially after that episode on watchdog where smart cars where the biggest culprit, but mercedes claimed that figures are given by euro standards and that is a wind tunnel. 55mpg is still pretty good as i say, my old 1.6 307 was only averaging 32-35mpg. only thing to do really is keep the vehicle serviced and well oiled with a good brand and tires balanced aligned and correctly pressured.

#6 Sara Fiesta

Sara Fiesta

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Name: Sara
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec 1.6 TDCI
  • Year: 2012

Posted 24 May 2011 - 09:26 PM

Are you working out the mpg manually or are you using the cars trip mpg computer?

#7 Tempest501

Tempest501

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 09:41 PM

Are you working out the mpg manually or are you using the cars trip mpg computer?

Those figures I gave are from the trip computer, I am not too sure how to do it manually. Not great with maths I have to be honest lol.

#8 catch

catch

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • Ford Model: MK2.5 Focus 1.6 Titanium Petrol
  • Year: 2011
Posted 24 May 2011 - 11:02 PM

I did a little experiment on the M65 on Saturday, 6 mile trip motorway only, with only me in car, went like this: when on motorway reset trips, whilst in fifth gear [which I stayed in] with no braking, at an average cruise speed of 54mpg [I think] I achieved 59.50 mpg on dash comp.

I say I think, because I reset the trip a few times that day, next test three on board, A road trip reset where Colne meets the outskirts of Foulridge, through to Skipton 11 miles away in traffic no overtaking, again driving like a granny. Computer trip average 33mpg but where no speed limits, averaged low 50's but think on speedo's over read about 3% It returned 57.30 mpg on dash comp

Extended the above test by then going from Skipton to Otley and back to Skipton, 44.5 miles in total 3 up going 2 up coming back. Again trip ave 33, where no speed restrictions 50 mph average, returning on the dash comp 49.10 mpg

Now that was in a 1.6 petrol that on average returned 32.84 mpg last year. Last full tank I popped in a tin of BG44K fuel injector cleaner. No cleaner in my current tank of supermarket fuel when those short tests were carried out, though I do think that system cleaner has improved the mpg. But I cannot make a considered judgement until I "brim" the tank again [due in about 9 days time]

What I will say this though, you get good fuel returns if you drive like a granny, cruise around the 50 to 60 mark, keep off the brakes, and get it into the highest gear as soon as possible.

If your interested in injector cleaner for a diesel from same company it's called BG244K , Member mross swears by it, see his comments on this thread Bg 244 Diesel Fuel System Cleaner You can get cheaper cleaners, but it only needs to increase your mpg by 1% and it will have paid for it's self, so its a no cost clean when you think about it.

#9 Sara Fiesta

Sara Fiesta

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 05:59 AM

Those figures I gave are from the trip computer, I am not too sure how to do it manually. Not great with maths I have to be honest lol.

I'm no good at maths too lol, it's straight forward here goes,

Fill the car up till the pump stops, reset the trip to 0 miles driver around as normal when you get to near empty fill up again try and use the same station and pump and again stop as soon as the pump stops. Take a note of the trip miles you covered and litres you put in the tank and here’s how you work it out.

Example
Trip 450 mile
Fuel 45 litres

45 litres divide by 4,545 = 9.90 gallons
9.90 gallons divided by 450 = 45.45 mpg :)

#10 catch

catch

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • Ford Model: MK2.5 Focus 1.6 Titanium Petrol
  • Year: 2011
Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:48 AM

45 litres divide by 4,545 = 9.90 gallons
9.90 gallons divided by 450 = 45.45 mpg :)

nearly right :ph34r:

9.90 gallons divided by 450 = 0.022

now 450 miles divided by 9.90 gallons = 45.45 mpg

Girls what are they like............... :rolleyes: ;)

#11 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 21,235 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:48 AM

lol :P

By the way, for anyone who wants to waste a few minutes take a look at the following links - talks about how they work out MPG :) useful to see just why they are so "realistic" lol

http://www.carkeys.c...g_part_one.aspx
http://www.carkeys.c...g_part_two.aspx

#12 bottletree

bottletree

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Name: Shane
  • Ford Model: C-max 2.0litre. Ghia EST. 2005
  • Year: 2005

Posted 25 May 2011 - 01:37 PM

I have the 1.6TDCI engine also. I worked my mpg manually. On a long motorway run to wales with car fully loaded and air con on doing on average 75mph i was getting 50 mpg. Here in the city i do a 9 mile round trip daily to work and I'm getting 38.5 mpg with just me in the car mostly.

#13 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 21,235 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 25 May 2011 - 02:26 PM

Best I ever saw was 80 MPG. Sat doing 54 mph behind a truck, no wind resistance, just coasting along. that was over a 60 mile stretch, as I topped up the car just as I hit the motorway, and topped it up again at the other end...

Only ever got close once again that was 73MPG in similar circumstances, but there was a sidewind...

#14 Sara Fiesta

Sara Fiesta

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:27 PM

nearly right :ph34r:

9.90 gallons divided by 450 = 0.022

now 450 miles divided by 9.90 gallons = 45.45 mpg

Girls what are they like............... :rolleyes: ;)

lol :P

#15 Sara Fiesta

Sara Fiesta

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:33 PM

Best I ever saw was 80 MPG. Sat doing 54 mph behind a truck, no wind resistance, just coasting along. that was over a 60 mile stretch, as I topped up the car just as I hit the motorway, and topped it up again at the other end...

Only ever got close once again that was 73MPG in similar circumstances, but there was a sidewind...

WOW 80mpg i only get near that if i was being towed! :D

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users