Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Keyless Entry Fault

Preee

Went out to my car 1.6 Titanium with keyless entry and keyless start , door would not open , remote would not work.

Anyway used the key to open the door , which set the alarm off. Car started ok , stopped engine got out car would not lock via button or the remote , tried other remote and that was the same , so not the remotes.

Jumped in car a second time to be met with key not in range.

Then it worked.

After about 5 minutes it locked , then would not open via the button. Keyfobe now started to lock the car.

Now all of a sudden both keyfobs lock/unlock the car and all the door buttons are working again.

Strange. Something i may need to go and see the dealer about i think.

While i was doing all this it fried my Usb stick !!!! Only a micro sd reader stick at £1.50 but killed it all the same.

It rained very hard about an hr before i went to the car , do we think water ! or is my new baby going to turn into a wild child.

Anyone else ever had similar problem?

• Like 1

hi, good news is a ford bulletin releases an ecu update to fix keyless problems. details below...regards steve

tsb details

No.25/2008

23 April 2008

fault details

Summary

Should a customer express concern that the engine stalls after starting, the probable cause is a non-robust communication between the keyless vehicle module and the powertrain control module (PCM).

• NOTE: Use IDS 54 DVD in conjunction with database update IDS-54.5 or a later version.

To rectify the concern, the PCM must be re-programmed with the latest PCM calibration. It will be necessary to use the table in this service instruction to select the correct calibration for IDS to program.

Cheers for that Steve , Focus is 2010 but i will still go to the dealer and get them to look at it.

One thing i have yet to try is , if the key goes out of range while the car is running i wonder if the car stops !

• Like 1

if 2010 it will be done under warranty for free. when a manufacturer finds a desgn fault or suchlike they send a repair instruction to all their dealers. apart from telling them how to fix the car it also advises procedure for claiming the bill from them....if you dont confirm any work will be done for free before handing over keys it leaves a dealer with an option to bill customer AND manufacturer if theyre that way inclined. my advice always confirm any charges for work beforehand. if you are asked to sign a form giving permission to carry out work on your car always put the agreed figure with your signature otherwise you may as well give em a blank cheque, regards steve

Had some bad dealings with Garages , so i always make sure i get written undertakings , but good advice Digidash.

• Like 1

car's in for a health check Wednesday , got 2 code read out's from the dash check D900 and A895 found a little info on D900 refering to egr but nothing for A895.

It killed another usb stick today , well Micro Sd reader , they were cheap off eBay , but worked perfect until Keyless entry played up on Saturday.

Any problems they find i will place for reference on here.

• Like 1

Could be anything, I have just spent about 15 minutes tryingt o google it and cant. you could reset the code, and see if it comes up again?

Also, with reference to the USB issues, I advise not using a Mini SD and card reader. basically it heats up something rotten, and the generated heat will cause problems, and loss of data, especially with the potential of a few more amps floating around, you dont really want to risk it!

How do i reset the codes on there ? , If i have to disconnect Batt then i'll leave it as i have not got the radio code lol.

While there is a small chance of there being a problem with the keyless entry , i don't want to risk my 8gb mem stick , the micro sd card is fine it killed the 2 card readers , but only happened after the Saturday keyless clitch.

Keyless entry is working flawless again ATM !

Travepilot fx , do you know what the key combination is to bring up the serial number? tried 6+1 and 6+2 but that might be just for the 6000 models.

I'll see if they will give me the code tomorrow as it was not in the book , as its ex-hire car.

• Like 1

If you have an OBD2 scanner most of them have a reset button, if not then you would have to take it to Ford. but I cant find anything on that code...

I can see why you dont want to risk the stick, but personally I wouldnt use an SD card, they are not quite as durable as the memory modules are so much smaller than are used in the USB flash drive. Maybe if you have a smaller one you could test for a while?

As for the travelpilot, I am afraid I dont know much about them only ever had the 6000CD and never needed the SN

I've got a 4gb works stick i might sacrifice :lol: after Wednesday , i've not got a scanner so i'll see if Ford reset the 2 faults.

The Memcard readers were very cheap off fleabay so no loss there.

I've got a spare 2.5hd lying around so i may try and see if that works in a caddie.

They have asked for all my Keys incase they do a reset/upgrade.

I made sure that i said any work to be carried out under warranty, and at no time carry out any work that is not covered.

• Like 1

Do Not at all by any means try to power a 2.5 HDD off the USB, it will burn the port out...

Do Not at all by any means try to power a 2.5 HDD off the USB, it will burn the port out...

Think i'll give that idea a miss , Cheers

• Like 1

lol glad I changed your mind :)

These ports are only powered by minimal USB, reading a flash disk is nothing, but a 2.5HDD has to pull enough power out of the USB so that it powers, spins up and reads, these things only have a small fuse / very thin comms wires, and its not worth the risk of damage.

You know how Big Quote Happy they are over at the dealers! its not worth it :P

Nurn your work 4GB out instead :)

*Update*

Had it back from ford garage , they found the 2 faults , they would not tell me if the codes on the dash were related .

1) updated control unit for Central locking and keyless entry and reprogrammed all the keys.

2) Updated (IDS) i think they said , saying that USB was sending just over 5.5v instead of 5v to the USB power output which caused the Card readers to fail, they also Updated the software on the stereo.

Hopefully all fixed now. B)

• Like 1

Hi

Just found this thread and read with interest. This may be un-related and sorry for hijacking.

My car played up last Friday, keys would let me in and the power start button seemed to work, however when the car was started I had engine management, power steering and transmission failure messages which meant the car would not start. So out came the dealer with their well abused IDS unit which failed to recognise the car, would not read even in manual mode. Just to make sure it worked we have am 09 CMAX as well, switched to that car and IDS picked it up straight away.

Anyway off it went, picked it up Tuesday all seems well. Only thing I have noticed is that any USB memory stick which is inserted will not read at all, it cycles between initialising and 0 tracks which finally gives up. Strange thing is that I have the ford iPhone connector cable which works fine. I have just tried my multimeter on the socket but its too big, will try and get a smaller one from work to test. I wonder if this could be caused by a similar issue. The memory sticks are fine and can be read on PC so do not feel like its killing them.

Thanks

Hi Grenned.

My usb was fine until the keyless entry said "your not coming in" , then when i checked it had then fried my card reader "micro Sd" , the actual SD card was not damaged.

Once the keyless entry decided to work again , the next day i tried my other usb card reader which worked , this lasted about a couple of hrs before it died.

Again the sd card is fine.

So they "Ford" Updated both sections today , fault with Keyless entry , and fault with USB and stereo.

While my car failed to let me in via the handle or remotes , twice it said key out of range , but no errors where displayed on dash , and the 2 i found could have been there from before so i can't link them.

I would take it back and ask them to check the voltage out put and ask them to update software like they did with mine.

• Like 1

Hi Grenned.

My usb was fine until the keyless entry said "your not coming in" , then when i checked it had then fried my card reader "micro Sd" , the actual SD card was not damaged.

Once the keyless entry decided to work again , the next day i tried my other usb card reader which worked , this lasted about a couple of hrs before it died.

Again the sd card is fine.

So they "Ford" Updated both sections today , fault with Keyless entry , and fault with USB and stereo.

While my car failed to let me in via the handle or remotes , twice it said key out of range , but no errors where displayed on dash , and the 2 i found could have been there from before so i can't link them.

I would take it back and ask them to check the voltage out put and ask them to update software like they did with mine.

Thanks Preee

Its going in anyway to have a dent done (only had the car friday)so will ask them to look at the stereo and USB.

Thanks

Popped into the garage, looks like there is a software issue. If I have any USB Plugged in it will disable the bluetooth, but after one use the stick needs to be formatted for it to play again.

Booked in Tuesday for software upgrades.

• 7 years later...
On 5/28/2011 at 6:31 PM, Preee said:

Went out to my car 1.6 Titanium with keyless entry and keyless start , door would not open , remote would not work.

Anyway used the key to open the door , which set the alarm off. Car started ok , stopped engine got out car would not lock via button or the remote , tried other remote and that was the same , so not the remotes.

Jumped in car a second time to be met with key not in range.

Then it worked.

After about 5 minutes it locked , then would not open via the button. Keyfobe now started to lock the car.

Now all of a sudden both keyfobs lock/unlock the car and all the door buttons are working again.

Strange. Something i may need to go and see the dealer about i think.

While i was doing all this it fried my Usb stick !!!! Only a micro sd reader stick at £1.50 but killed it all the same.

It rained very hard about an hr before i went to the car , do we think water ! or is my new baby going to turn into a wild child.

Anyone else ever had similar problem?

my problem let Rob only opens drivers door

press button on drivers door all then operate