Do Not Sell My Personal Information

£ 1400 Worth Of Damage?

briggsy

SO had a bit of an accident today... And as referred to by my insurance, i was quoted 1400 for this damage :

dscf6032j.jpg

dscf6033k.jpg

Am i being ripped off? because its cosmetic damage and thats nearly 20% the price of the car lol. note the paint is intact.

You want to go round at LEAST 3 bodyshops and get quotes and get them to break it down to itemise everything

Plus once you have the quotes, you can then tell your insurance company where you want to get the car repaired. it may take slightly longer, but you know the price is less.

Unfortunately the insurance company use brackets, so dont be influenced by the illusion that the less it costs to repair, the less your renewal, as it doesnt work that way :(

They seem to charge what they want these days , my wife's nissan Micra last year a woman in an automatic , foot slipped off the brake as she started it at a carpark , O/S light and wing , bonnet and washer bottle + paint, = £2690 + vat now that was a ripoff , thankfully the woman was fully covered.

They moan about claims and put our policy's up yet they allow companys to extort those kind of price's from them. What they should do is have investigation teams who should double check all those quotes , the money they would then save would attract better insurance quotes and customers.

• Like 1

They seem to charge what they want these days , my wife's nissan Micra last year a woman in an automatic , foot slipped off the brake as she started it at a carpark , O/S light and wing , bonnet and washer bottle + paint, = £2690 + vat now that was a ripoff , thankfully the woman was fully covered.

They moan about claims and put our policy's up yet they allow companys to extort those kind of price's from them. What they should do is have investigation teams who should double check all those quotes , the money they would then save would attract better insurance quotes and customers.

Figures, im getting a few other quotes done, if its not below 7-800 ill just give up the car and get one from work (work for nissan) which i dont wana do :(

pffttt that does seem a tad expensive?

that for panel beating, or a new front wing?

Due to the bad crease in the middle of the dent I wouldn’t call that ‘cosmetic damage’ - does the price include a whole rear panel + spraying etc. :unsure:

I’m sure there is someone out there that would quote you a much cheaper price and just fill over the damage but would you really want that? :(

Just make sure your quote includes the work that is going to be done so you can check afterwards they haven’t cut corners to make themselves more profit out of the job. <_<

I'm lost here. Who quoted you £1400?

The insurance company, the garage they recommended or some garage you just called round to for a quote?

The garage the insurance company referred me too. Car & Earl Ltd.

OK. Not sure how you can ask the question "is the Insurnace company ripping me off". The reason being, 1, you're not paying for it, the insurance company is and 2, it's the garage who gave the estimate, not the insurance company.

Why did they ring you to tell you how much it's costing? That's never happened to me, they have took my car, repaired it and gave it me back and only gave me a costing when I have asked for records/invoice for work done.

It's not worth the hassle going round and getting quotes, leave it to the insurance company and as long as the firm they us is reputable and offer good warranty on the work, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. It's in the insurance companies interests to get the best quote for the work done, they will have no reason or interest to bump up the cost of the work.

"is the Insurance company ripping me off"
Well because they refereed me to this garage, and i would prefer not to pay with insurance to save my noclames and stop my premium sky-rocketing. The reason i ask is, is this quote reasonable for the work? because if not i feel that the garage has hiked the price purl y because they believe its an insurance job. where as if it was a few hundred, i could pay out of pocket.

Yes you are right in saying the price will be inflated if it's an insurance job. I find most garages have 2 prices for all jobs - cash and insurance!

Ask them to requote for cash ;)

Well because they refereed me to this garage, and i would prefer not to pay with insurance to save my noclames and stop my premium sky-rocketing. The reason i ask is, is this quote reasonable for the work? because if not i feel that the garage has hiked the price purl y because they believe its an insurance job. where as if it was a few hundred, i could pay out of pocket.

If you didn't want the insurers to pay, why did you ring them up and get them to get the car quoted on in the first place?

You should have took the car to a few places in your area and got a quote for repair and tell them you would be paying and not the insurance.

I doubt you would get that done properly and with full guarantee for a few hundred either. Depending on how many NCB you have, it may not hurt you that much getting it done through insurance but haven't a clue how many NCB you have, can't offer an opinion.

And what did you mean earlier when you said "ill just give up the car and get one from work", again, you're not making yourself very clear.

Seems expensive but depends on whether they're replacing, or straightening & filling (cheaper!), your back wing.

Incidentally, front wings are much easier to replace - hence cheaper - than back wings due to much less welding involved.

Friend recently had an incident with his Focus & didn't involve the insurance - took it to a local "Ford Approved" garage & made it plain that it wasn't an insurance job - as damage was more than half the car's value so they'd write it off (only done 40,000 miles) & bump up his premium.

They re-skinned both nearside doors, cut out damage from nearside front wing & welded in a plate, filled slight crease on nearside back wing, replaced nearside mirror, both nearside door handles & one piece of plastic exterior door trim. £1,600 all in (quote was £1,800, actual price came in below estimate!). Car looks a treat - metallic blue & the finish is as good as the rest of the (factory) paint with an excellent colour match too despite the car being 9 years old.

As other folk have said, shop around & if you make it plain that it isn't an insurance claim I think it'll be cheaper - they tend to load the cost if they know that an insurance company will be paying. When shopping around though do try & see the quality of the garage's work before you commit yourself - I've seen some horrendously substandard body repairs in the past - even on nearly new cars carried out by main dealers!

OK. Not sure how you can ask the question "is the Insurnace company ripping me off". The reason being, 1, you're not paying for it, the insurance company is and 2, it's the garage who gave the estimate, not the insurance company.

Why did they ring you to tell you how much it's costing? That's never happened to me, they have took my car, repaired it and gave it me back and only gave me a costing when I have asked for records/invoice for work done.

It's not worth the hassle going round and getting quotes, leave it to the insurance company and as long as the firm they us is reputable and offer good warranty on the work, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. It's in the insurance companies interests to get the best quote for the work done, they will have no reason or interest to bump up the cost of the work.

I believe it is worth the hassle, as when an accident it made, and you come to renew next year, one of the questions asked when you declare that you have made a claim is "how much was the final settlement/cost of damage" this then contributes to how much your renewal price is.

So by being over charged for insurance work, when it could be a few hundread less will infact cost more in the long run, i.e renewal price. Therefore, justifying why it pays to "go around and get quotes" and yes, being ripped off.

I believe it is worth the hassle, as when an accident it made, and you come to renew next year, one of the questions asked when you declare that you have made a claim is "how much was the final settlement/cost of damage" this then contributes to how much your renewal price is.

Any examples of how much you can save on renewal over saving, for example, £400 on repair costs or are you just guessing that maybe the case?

I think someone has already mentioned that insurance companies class claim costs in brackets, so unless you go from one bracket to the next, there will be no difference and I've a feeling those brackets won't be a few hundred quid in difference, more like thousands.

So by being over charged for insurance work,

How do you know you're being overcharged unless you're an expert in that field?

How do you know that the quality of work done to the car is not in relation to the cost of the work? ie, you get what you pay for.

Is one company who charges less at the same quality as one that charges higher, or vice versa?

Is the cheaper quote from the bodyshop cutting corners ie repairing panels with filler instead of replacing it.

At the end of the day, most people want the best job on their car, not the cheapest.

when it could be a few hundread less will infact cost more in the long run, i.e renewal price.

Again, any examples, you're saying that as if it's fact.

Therefore, justifying why it pays to "go around and get quotes" and yes, being ripped off.

Well, I've just used some saved quotes on Confused.com (using my details and my M3) and got quotes for a £1400 claim and a quote for a £900 claim, everything else identical.

The top 20 quotes were exactly the same on both £900 and £1400 claims and all with the same company, I couldn't be bothered looking at any more.

I also did it on Gocompare(using details of a 21 yr old and my Fiesta), guess what, exactly the same result going at it from both ends of the scale.

Not the most concisive test possible, I don't really have the time or the inclination to ring every insurance company possible, but better than nothing or guessing and it would suggest messing about over a few hundred quid is not worth the hassle.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club