Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2005 Galaxy Dual Mass Fly Wheel Problem

ClaudiaQ

I have a 130bhp 1.9 TDCi Galaxy and the Dual Mass Fly Wheel has just disintegrated :( Is this a known fault please? Gonna cost upward of £1k to fix!!

Thanks

the early mk3 tdci mondeo suffered from the dreaded dmf failure but not so much the galaxy, £1k upwards to fix is that's ford prices? shop around and get an independent garage to do the work, they advise to fit a clutch kit at the same time as the dmf you can get the parts (clutch+DMF) for around £550 (Euro car parts) so a local garage might be your best bet.

Thanks for the post.. Is this a known fault?

Thanks for the post.. Is this a known fault?

not sure if its deemed a 'known fault' but a DMF is a wear and tear part really.

imo problem is with all dmf on all makes. fords answer for transits and mondeo....convert to standard flywheel, if doing this check to see if new crankshaft pully is needed as if not changed and needed result is snapped crankshaft!!! £1000 too high but going somewhere that doesnt know these engine/box setups can save now but cost in long run??? use reputable garage (i use a man that does at least 3 ford dmf/clutches a week so knows his stuff) regards steve

Thanks all. Am using reputable man who has looked after car for a while, so feel confident with him :)

Will give Ford a call tomorrow anyway though - always worth a try??!!

Ford are a helpful bunch - NOT!! Will keep trying though as the chap said it's not an issue that's been reported previously as happening to a Galaxy.

Latest update is that I also require a new gearbox as the flywheel damaged the bellhouse cover on it's journey of destruction! So, now we're into new dmf, new clutch and new gearbox... anything else?!?

never heard of a dmf damaging a bell housing,did you get any of the dmf problem warnings like a rattle when the clutch was depressed or did it just 'let go', have you tried ford customer services on 08458411111,i doubt you will get anywhere but its worth the try.

if belhousing is damaged then you need a belhousing not gearbox. i wasnt suggesting using ford to repair i was advising you to use non ford garage but with experience on your system "if converting to non dmf system" if staying with dmf visit a clutch/gearbox centre and before buying a gearbox buy a faulty gearbox as swap the bellhousing onto your box.or speak to someone willing to repair your bellhousing with liquid metal or something simular. feel free to give me a call if you fancy a trip to bradford as i can put you in touch with a garage that will help you, regards steve

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club