Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Disable Esp On 5Dr Zetec 1.6 Tdci

DumboBattyhead

I got the switch today, and in it went straightaway, true 'Plug & Play' ..........

This is the hole with the card holder removed, the plug/cable assembly is fastened to the centre console behind the silver trim. There are links in this thread to further info but to get to the cable the steps are ....

• Pull up gear surround (for access to bottom of silver trim)
  • Prise off silver trim, there are 2 metal clips at the bottom, I found a very small screwdriver an easy method to release them, then gently manupulate the centre trim to release the rest of the plastic clips
  • Prise out the connector that is located on the car main body
  • Remove the card holder

I then reassembled it all whilst awaiting the delivery of the switch

IMG_0842.jpg

Switch arrived so I connected it up, and tested it before placing it in the panel .......... just in case!!! Switch selected ESP off light 'on', ESP symbol in instrument cluster 'on' and yep you guessed it when selected again switch light off cluster light off

IMG_0843.jpg

Once all was as expected fitted the switch in its hole. All in all a top fix (well we'll see in the snow ) so thanks to people on this board and to those on the German one for all the info they posted

IMG_0845copy.jpg

I have a '59 plate fiesta titanium tdci 5 day. I have no ESP light on the dash when I start up. Does my model actually have ESP?

I got the switch today, and in it went straightaway, true 'Plug & Play' ..........

This is the hole with the card holder removed, the plug/cable assembly is fastened to the centre console behind the silver trim. There are links in this thread to further info but to get to the cable the steps are ....

• Pull up gear surround (for access to bottom of silver trim)
  • Prise off silver trim, there are 2 metal clips at the bottom, I found a very small screwdriver an easy method to release them, then gently manupulate the centre trim to release the rest of the plastic clips
  • Prise out the connector that is located on the car main body
  • Remove the card holder

I then reassembled it all whilst awaiting the delivery of the switch

IMG_0842.jpg

Switch arrived so I connected it up, and tested it before placing it in the panel .......... just in case!!! Switch selected ESP off light 'on', ESP symbol in instrument cluster 'on' and yep you guessed it when selected again switch light off cluster light off

IMG_0843.jpg

Once all was as expected fitted the switch in its hole. All in all a top fix (well we'll see in the snow ) so thanks to people on this board and to those on the German one for all the info they posted

IMG_0845copy.jpg

Great job mate! How long the whole operation took?

Great job mate! How long the whole operation took?

I would guess if I had the switch to hand, 20 mins from getting in the car to finishing

Jim

Starman,

there is a post here which says that the Fiesta has ESP as standard from June 10 which sounds right. I ordered mine around Mar 2010 and was surprised to find out later (Apr 2010) that ESP was going to be standard as opposed to a £300 option from what I read in the press, when I picked it up at end of Jun .......... there it was fitted :)

So I guess that as yours a 2009 and you have no warning light, which according to the Owners Handbook comes on at startup with other lights momentarily, haven't got it. You could always pull the panels off to see if the cable is there ....... maybe lucky?

I would guess if I had the switch to hand, 20 mins from getting in the car to finishing

Jim

Only 20 minutes to remove all the plastics and fit it in? Wow, that was really fast. Considering the timing I will also add the button.

By the way, is it 100% sure that all cars are fitted with the connector in the back?

Starman,

there is a post here which says that the Fiesta has ESP as standard from June 10 which sounds right. I ordered mine around Mar 2010 and was surprised to find out later (Apr 2010) that ESP was going to be standard as opposed to a £300 option from what I read in the press, when I picked it up at end of Jun .......... there it was fitted :)

So I guess that as yours a 2009 and you have no warning light, which according to the Owners Handbook comes on at startup with other lights momentarily, haven't got it. You could always pull the panels off to see if the cable is there ....... maybe lucky?

You are lucky guys, because I had to pay 350 euros for the ESP, because this is a country specific option...

Only 20 minutes to remove all the plastics and fit it in? Wow, that was really fast. Considering the timing I will also add the button.

By the way, is it 100% sure that all cars are fitted with the connector in the back?

It would be a reckless man who would be 100% sure so I couldn't say. But it only takes 5 mins to remove the plastics to see, and a couple to put it all back ..... nothing to lose there :)

It would be a reckless man who would be 100% sure so I couldn't say. But it only takes 5 mins to remove the plastics to see, and a couple to put it all back ..... nothing to lose there :)

That's cool. I will write one email to Ford tomorrow and ask them how much the button costs. Thanks for sharing the results mate!

Starman,

Hi Jim

The ESP switch in place of the card holder looks really neat and I'd certainly like to have a go at fitting this but, I'd also like the airbag light and the PDC if the wiring for all three is behind the trim.

As you have lready installed the ESP switch, can you tell please answer the following queries for me:

1. I'd like to have the ESP switch, airbag control light and the PDC switch, do you have any idea how much the complete part is?

2. I've seen the connector for the ESP switch but, are there additional connectors behind the trim for the airback light and the PDC?

2a. If there is, are they marked for each function?

3. Would the PDC switch work with on Fiesta's fitted with rear parking sensors?

4. The 'Handbook' states that there is a switch in the glove boox to turn of 'passenger's airbag', Im not seeing this at the moment?

1514081 ESP switch + 2 "blinds"

1513292 ESP switch, airbag control light + 1 "blind"

1513293 ESP switch, airbag control light, PDC switch

Thanks, BHeart

Hi Jim

The ESP switch in place of the card holder looks really neat and I'd certainly like to have a go at fitting this but, I'd also like the airbag light and the PDC if the wiring for all three is behind the trim.

As you have lready installed the ESP switch, can you tell please answer the following queries for me:

1. I'd like to have the ESP switch, airbag control light and the PDC switch, do you have any idea how much the complete part is?

I'm afraid I don't know, all I was after was the ESP one so didn't enquire

2. I've seen the connector for the ESP switch but, are there additional connectors behind the trim for the airback light and the PDC?

2a. If there is, are they marked for each function?

The connector pictured (red) is a multiway connector and the only one there, I recall on the rear of the switch I fitted there were only a few pins populated, less than there were receptacles on the connector. So I assume the other switches would use the spare pins/receptacles.

3. Would the PDC switch work with on Fiesta's fitted with rear parking sensors?

I think (but haven't got parking assist) that the rear parking sensors are turned on by selecting reverse gear, the fronts are turned on by the switch (also turns on the rears too?) So if you only have rear fitted then it should work by gear selection, so no switch required. Also I remember reading something somewhere about if you have ESP on/off you cant have PDC front, not too sure on that last thing ..... maybe someone knows on here?

4. The 'Handbook' states that there is a switch in the glove boox to turn of 'passenger's airbag', Im not seeing this at the moment?

Not sure about this, in my car there is a hole (which has not been fully punched out) on the top right of the glove box top rail, the part that's just under dash hidden when the glovebox is closed. I'm not sure if a car which has the Airbag button would have this, perhaps it's just an electrical disconnect. Again someone who has the airbag switch maybe able to comment?

Hope that helps?

Jim

I finally lifted the panels off last night (thanks r-head for the pics & work sequence).

My Oct2010 Zetec with rear PDC does have the wiring for the switch. I only have rear PDC fitted and no airbar switch in the glovebox so I'll be ordering the 1514081 switch today :D

1513293 ESP switch, airbag control light, PDC switch

That one doesn't exist, you can only have 2 choices, the third button will always be useless (if fitted as Ford says).

I think (but haven't got parking assist) that the rear parking sensors are turned on by selecting reverse gear, the fronts are turned on by the switch (also turns on the rears too?) So if you only have rear fitted then it should work by gear selection, so no switch required.

Both front and rear parking sensors are activated by the reverse gear and they both are deactivated by the button. Once the car is in reverse, you can turn the sensors off. Each time you put it back in reverse, they switch back on.

Both front and rear parking sensors are activated by the reverse gear and they both are deactivated by the button. Once the car is in reverse, you can turn the sensors off. Each time you put it back in reverse, they switch back on.

Yep, I'd agree with that from what I've read in the manual and also that they can be turned on by switch selection, just incase you aren't reversing and want assistance forward

I have a '59 plate fiesta titanium tdci 5 day. I have no ESP light on the dash when I start up. Does my model actually have ESP?

not unless it was built with it, as like me, i had to add it back in the day, then from August 2010 they added it as standard across the range!

ESP has been standard on the titanium range from the start.

I have a 59 Plate and it has ESP on it.

not unless it was built with it, as like me, i had to add it back in the day, then from August 2010 they added it as standard across the range!

Mine was delivered to the dealer late June 10, picked it up few days later ....... ESP at no extra cost (and not requested at time of order) ............ guess I was lucky or some poor sod at the factory messed up or was standard fit for a delivery around June. Whichever way I'm happy :D

I had a dig around in my 11 plate Zetec 1.4tdci

the plug is there, so im going to order the switch soon

IMG_0154.jpg

IMG_0155.jpg

I had a dig around in my 11 plate Zetec 1.4tdci

the plug is there, so im going to order the switch soon

IMG_0154.jpg

IMG_0155.jpg

I am really glad that this one is really easy to solve :)

Good job mate!

ESP has been standard on the titanium range from the start.

I have a 59 Plate and it has ESP on it.

Nope, my bill dated 27/11/2008, when I picked it up, has it there at £300!!!

Nope, my bill dated 27/11/2008, when I picked it up, has it there at £300!!!

Off topic Mark, is this your second Fiesta?

Just in case anyone else is thinking of going down this route, here are a few comments that may help:-

- My October 2010 Zetec 1.6 TDCi does have ESP as standard not as an extra.

- The wiring to the ESP switch fitted although it is initially behind the card holder in a clip.

- The panels do just pull off (see earlier photos in this thread). The plastic around the gear gaitor lifts up. The plastic around the heating controls pulls towards you (i.e. away from the front of the car). It does not hinge & I needed to remove the small rectangular panel above it in order to get the top 2 clips off.

- The wire to the red & black connector comes from the left and goes to where the connector is clipped in place by a small tab. I snapped the tab off to remove the connector but it might have been possible to unscrew it.

- At this point, it is possible to push out the card holder, leave the connector hanging out through the rectangular hole (see photo by arbgarry posted 15th June), and put the panels back in place so the car is in one piece while the switch is ordered.

- The Ford ordering system does not list parts that are not considered as options (even if they would fit) so my local dealers were unable to order the part for me even though I gave them the Ford part number.

- FordPartsOnline.co.uk (phone 0800 5884033) is able to order the ESP + 2 blank position switch part number 1514081 (see below photo kindly provided by Alastair before he sent the switch) for £29.76 inc vat. It was posted to me for about £2 or £3. Total hit to my credit card = just under £32. If you ask for Alastair, he can put the number of a fleet Zetec S into his computer so that the Ford ordering system will list the part.

ford1514081.jpg

I am now sorted and ready for the winter ice, well as ready as possible in a Fiesta :D

All Hail Alastair at FordPartsOnline.

Thanks to all those who have contributed to this thread - lets hope it helps others.

- The Ford ordering system does not list parts that are not considered as options (even if they would fit) so my local dealers were unable to order the part for me even though I gave them the Ford part number.

- FordPartsOnline.co.uk (phone 0800 5884033) is able to order the ESP + 2 blank position switch part number 1514081 (see below photo kindly provided by Alastair before he sent the switch) for £29.76 inc vat. It was posted to me for about £2 or £3. Total hit to my credit card = just under £32. If you ask for Alastair, he can put the number of a fleet Zetec S into his computer so that the Ford ordering system will list the part.

Do you have any idea if they also ship outside UK? (EU countries)

Do you have any idea if they also ship outside UK? (EU countries)

I really don't know, but they did a lot of running around to sort my problem even though they would not have made a lot of money on one switch. They have a contact page so you could ask them.

http://www.fordonlineparts.co.uk/frontend/contactUs

I really don't know, but they did a lot of running around to sort my problem even though they would not have made a lot of money on one switch. They have a contact page so you could ask them.

http://www.fordonlineparts.co.uk/frontend/contactUs

Thanks mate!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club