Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Disable Esp On 5Dr Zetec 1.6 Tdci

DumboBattyhead

I have an 09/2011 Zetec 1.6 TDCi which has ESP as standard and a card holder in the place where the Zetec S has an ESP switch. I have no other switches present in that blanking plate (sorry, I should say "very useful card holder").

Does anyone know if my car can have its ESP disabled when necessary by fitting an ESP switch? Getting hold of a replacement ESP switch for a Zetec S is not too difficult but I don't know if the non-S version has the necessary wiring & programming present.

I work in the peak district and I want to get this sorted before the next bad snow arrives.

I've got a feeling it may be possible - I think I read somewhere on this forum that someone had done it.

They best way of checking to to move that panel (lift up gear gaitor surround then you can remove silver panel around buttons) and check if wiring is already there. If so get a scrapyard or partsgateway.com to send you the switch :)

By the way, are the Titanium ones coming with the button?

Does anyone know if my car can have its ESP disabled when necessary by fitting an ESP switch? Getting hold of a replacement ESP switch for a Zetec S is not too difficult but I don't know if the non-S version has the necessary wiring & programming present.

I work in the peak district and I want to get this sorted before the next bad snow arrives.

I have a 2010 focus 1.6TDCI and the ESP can be switched off via the controls for the screen inthe centre between the rev and Speedo gauges, turn the ignition once (not engine running) and cycle through the menu ESP should be there and set it to off, only problem is you have to switch it off every time you start the car as it automatically re-activates every time you turn off the engine, I suffered all last winter with it on, not knowing how to switch it off AAAGGGHHHH!!!:o

Image0376.jpg

By the way, are the Titanium ones coming with the button?

No

No

I could ask "why not Ford"?

I could ask "why not Ford"?

I agree,

as your the owner of your car, you paid for it you should be in control, if you want wheel spin without over ride you should easily be able to have it, done my head in last winter ESP caused me to skid more than ever,

Sorry to stir things up but I have the ESP switch and I have never used it. Why? Because in the winter I used winter tyres and my wheels never slipped. Best £300 (£250 tyres + £50 rims) I've ever spent.

People think it's more expensive but going through 1 set of tyres in 12 months over 2 years = 2 sets of tyres or 2 sets of tyres used for 6 months alternatively (Apr-Sep / Oct-Mar) over 2 years still equals 2 sets! The only additional outlay are the wheels (which in my case I found someone on Gumtree with Fiesta Style that he had put alloys on and was selling his steel wheels for £50)

I've got a feeling it may be possible - I think I read somewhere on this forum that someone had done it.They best way of checking to to move that panel (lift up gear gaitor surround then you can remove silver panel around buttons) and check if wiring is already there. If so get a scrapyard or partsgateway.com to send you the switch :)

Thanks for the ideas guys, I'll be trying them tomorow when I get time.

@ iNath (do stir, it's fun), I take the point about never using the ESP switch, but I don't intend to get snow tyres & sometimes its just plain fun to get the wheels spinning on a hill with patchy snow so that when the tyres do grip in places, there is plenty of wheel momentum to get the car up the hill. Also its good from time to time to go into a corner too fast with too much thottle so that the car does lose it. What better way to get the feel of how to recover from a skid at a time when it is safe to have a play.

Thanks for the ideas guys, I'll be trying them tomorow when I get time.

@ iNath (do stir, it's fun), I take the point about never using the ESP switch, but I don't intend to get snow tyres & sometimes its just plain fun to get the wheels spinning on a hill with patchy snow so that when the tyres do grip in places, there is plenty of wheel momentum to get the car up the hill. Also its good from time to time to go into a corner too fast with too much thottle so that the car does lose it. What better way to get the feel of how to recover from a skid at a time when it is safe to have a play.

E-bay is great for front bumpers and rear quater panels when youve had yor fun lol :lol:

• Like 1

E-bay is great for front bumpers and rear quater panels when youve had yor fun lol :lol:

Well I'm not going to get cocky & say "I'll not crash", that would be the kiss of death!

• Like 2

I agree,

as your the owner of your car, you paid for it you should be in control, if you want wheel spin without over ride you should easily be able to have it, done my head in last winter ESP caused me to skid more than ever,

Well...I guess I will just have to live with it now...

It's good that I don't have so bad winter where I will drive the car :D

• Like 1

I have a 2010 focus 1.6TDCI and the ESP can be switched off via the controls for the screen inthe centre between the rev and Speedo gauges, turn the ignition once (not enginerunning) and cycle through the menu ESP should be there and set it to off,

I presume you mean using the left hand steering column stick end button? This is what cycles through trip, MPG, etc for me.

But for me, no ESP menu :(. Does the main ignition key have to be in a certain position for the ESP menu to appear?

They best way of checking to to move that panel (lift up gear gaitor surround then you can remove silver panel around buttons) and check if wiring is already there. If so get a scrapyard or partsgateway.com to send you the switch :)

I'm still working on this one, but I have not yet managed to get anything removed. Which bit of the gear gaitor pulls off first?

I'm still working on this one, but I have not yet managed to get anything removed. Which bit of the gear gaitor pulls off first?

Pull up the bit closest you (ie. in the plastic below 2,4,R)

I'm looking to fit the ESP button on my Zetec. Last night I removed the gear surround, then prised off the trim above it (the heating control/card holder/cubby holder trim), this allowed me to find the plug behind the card holder and free it. I put it all back together but without the card holder and have left the cable hanging out the hole. All I need to do now is order the switch which my local dealer has quoted £31 inc and fit it ......... then ESP disable for any snow which may come my way :-). There is a link on the boards somewhere to a German forum with details and pics on ..... can't place my hands on it at the moment

Jim

Hi

I've been reading about the ESP switch with interest and, I might give that a go on my Zetec. If you can post the link you mention, that would be appreciated.

Hi

I've been reading about the ESP switch with interest and, I might give that a go on my Zetec. If you can post the link you mention, that would be appreciated.

Found it, ESP Switch Thread, page 5 has the pictures of fitting ......

I have ordered my switch today so should be here by the beginning of next week B)

Jim

I'm looking to fit the ESP button on my Zetec. Last night I removed the gear surround, then prised off the trim above it (the heating control/card holder/cubby holder trim), this allowed me to find the plug behind the card holder and free it. I put it all back together but without the card holder and have left the cable hanging out the hole. All I need to do now is order the switch which my local dealer has quoted £31 inc and fit it ......... then ESP disable for any snow which may come my way :-). There is a link on the boards somewhere to a German forum with details and pics on ..... can't place my hands on it at the moment

Jim

Excellent B)

Do you know the Ford part no. of the switch & bezel assembly?

Excellent B)

Do you know the Ford part no. of the switch & bezel assembly?

From a post by harweyko on this forum, the leading number is the part number (I hope :) )

1514081 Schalter-Leiste mit ESP-Aus und zwei Blindkappen - ESP switch + 2 "blinds"

1513292 Schalter-Leiste mit ESP-Aus, AirBag-Kontrollleuchte und einer Blindkappe - ESP switch, airbag control light + 1 "blind"

1513293 Schalter-Leiste mit Blindkappe, Airbag-Kontrolleuchte und PDC-Schalter - ESP switch, airbag control light, PDC switch

Found it, ESP Switch Thread, page 5 has the pictures of fitting ......

I have ordered my switch today so should be here by the beginning of next week B)

Jim

Hi Jim

You got the switch from Ford right?

Cheers!

Hi Jim

You got the switch from Ford right?

Cheers!

Hi Tato,

I have ordered it from them, should be here in the next few days

Jim

Hi Tato,

I have ordered it from them, should be here in the next few days

Jim

Did you pay £31?

Tato

Did you pay £31?

Tato

Unfortunately ....... :(

Unfortunately ....... :(

That's so strange for Ford...you have to pay for something that should be normally standard also to the Titanium Fiestas...