Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Disabling Auto Wipers For Good

DumboBattyhead

I have a 2010 Fiesta Zetec TDCi with auto wipers fitted as an (unwanted) feature. Even the owner's manual says

QUOTE The autowipers function should not be selected when it is snowing or foggy, or when the roads have been salted UNQUOTE

so slap me round the face with a wet kipper and call me stupid for accepting them in the first place, but IMHO this makes it a downgrade for commuting to work in Buxton. :angry:

Does anyone know if the car can be set to go back to the standard variable intermittent wipe? Is there just a bit I can take off to get the wiper switch so position B selects Intermittent Wipe?

I don't care if the whole auto wipers + auto light option gets 100% disabled as I also have no use for auto-lights.

I thought you could disable it by moving the position of the wipers button? doesnt the manual talk about it?

i chose to have this option and yes, i agree, a waste of time really.. although I do like the auto lights bit

I thought you could disable it by moving the position of the wipers button? doesnt the manual talk about it?

The manual does talk about intermittent wipe & autowipers on page 39 (of my downloaded PDF manual), but wipe lever position B seems to select either intermittent wipe if the option was fitted, or autowipers if the option was fitted.

On my Zetec, wipe lever position B (i.e. 1 up from off) only selects autowipe :(

I'll even pay to get the intermittent wipe feature back if that is what it takes.

I absolutely hate automatic features that seem fine a lot of the time, but don't quite work in all situations. (rant over now :D )

If you dont wish to use the auto feature then dont, you can operate them as manual wipers.

With the wiper switch arm in position A, C & D they are the same as manual wipers.

Should you wish to you can adjust the auto sensitivity setting using the scroll wheel on the switch arm.

The manual makes the point about snow / ice because the wipers maybe frozen to the glass and as with any car you should lift the wipers before using them so as not to damage wiper motor/ rip the blades, etc.

As with any auto feature it is there to help make life and driving your car easier- not do the thinking for you, it leaves the decision as and when to use the auto feature to you.

• Like 1

I do take the point about auto features not doing the thinking, and about the auto-wipe sensitivity being adjustable. I bought the car from Ford Direct but because it was not made to order some features were present that I didn't really want. I knew that the auto-lights was an extra switch position that did not remove any other features so that was OK, but I never checked to see if one of the features I used a lot on my last Fiesta (namely the intermittent wipe) was still there. DOH!

Switch positions A, B & C will be used, but I want B = intermittent :(

I actually got to play around with the auto-wipers today on the way home, and to be honest it was amusing when they stayed off for a while then did one wipe when a lorry passed the other way.

However since the manual says not to use auto-wipe in fog or when roads have been salted, I want to plan ahead and if possible get back to the intermittent wipe feature that will always work, even travelling in Winter.

So......Does anyone know if the car can be made to go back to the standard variable intermittent wipe? Is there a bit I can take off or change so the wiper switch 1 click up from off selects Intermittent Wipe?

I actually got to play around with the auto-wipers today on the way home, and to be honest it was amusing when they stayed off for a while then did one wipe when a lorry passed the other way.

I wasn't overly fussed about auto wipers either at first but pleased I can say my car has them. Like you say the best part is when a lorry passes and they do a single wipe - especially when your passengers notice you hadn't touched the wiper stalk and say 'eee did the car just decide to clear the screen itself!?'

I had Auto wipers on my Vauxhall Astra , and that was a complete nightmare and you could not set variable wipe at all.

Now when i got the Focus Titanium a couple of weeks ago , knowing the wipers were there i though "hmm wonder what they are like on here" TBH they are much better than the Astra as you can set the variable speed and of course keep them off or manually flick down if needed , but i leave them on to do their own thing so i'm happy with them on the focus.

Downside of course as with my First Focus is the quick clear , i soon learnt that it does not clear the full swipe of the wiper's and quickly lost a set of Wiper Blades on a frosty morning, i have noticed that its still the same 8 years on !

So i will not be selecting Auto wipe during the winter months !

I've got the same problems with the quickclear and auto wipers - they swipe the iced over screen when the area next to to sensor has melted - in the process wrecking your Wiper Blades and no doubt the wiper motor. Also, sometimes a ray of light through the trees makes them swipe. Bit odd.

They work perfectly 95% of the time though.

• 2 weeks later...

They work perfectly 95% of the time though.

95% is not good enough for me when intermittent wipe (as present on my -07 Fiesta) was exactly what I wanted.

Does anyone know if it is possible to disable or remove the auto wiper function so I can get back to the intermittent wipe function that will also work (according to the user manual) in fog & snow?

95% is not good enough for me when intermittent wipe (as present on my -07 Fiesta) was exactly what I wanted.

Does anyone know if it is possible to disable or remove the auto wiper function so I can get back to the intermittent wipe function that will also work (according to the user manual) in fog & snow?

No, nobody knows who have read the thread or I'm sure you would have had a reply to tell you how.

Maybe you should have kept your old Fiesta if the function means so much to you.

No, nobody knows who have read the thread or I'm sure you would have had a reply to tell you how.

Maybe you should have kept your old Fiesta if the function means so much to you.

Maybe I should have not got auto-wipers in my mk7! :-(

I'll survive with auto-wipers, I just hate technology that doesn't do things my way.

• 1 year later...

My biggest concern with the auto wipers system is the day I forget to make sure the wipers are not iced onto the windscreen one frosty morning. Get into the car, switch on, then the wipers attempts to clear screen but get ripped off the stalks. I am guessing 40 to 50 quid for replacements as they are 'intelligent' wipers ???

Appear to be a bit hit and miss when they work, havent quite sussed it yet. The manual supplied with the car is so out of date.

I usually always remember to turn them from auto to off in the winter time/when its icey cold, when getting out my car - that way they'll not start the next morning when I turn on the engine and start defrosting. Just a good habit I got into.

Other than remembering to do that I'm all for the auto wipers. Then again I'm all for auto anything :D

The problem i have with auto wipers is that every time i make a corner round the roundabout they decide it's time to wipe. LOL Anyone know where the sensor is located? I'm thinking mirror since i had a screen replaced.

The sensor is behind the mirror bracket.

Look for a small square patch on the top of the outer windscreen.

I dont know what the fuss is about. They shouldn't be left on auto all the time anyway. You switch to auto as if you were switching to intermittent and just let them decide what speed is required and switch it off when they are not required.

I do leave the lights on auto all the time though.

You switch to auto as if you were switching to intermittent...

...and switch it off when they are not required.

Then theres not much point in having auto wipers really if you're gonna turn them on and off yourself. Might aswell let em do everything

I agree with btmaldon.

The last thing you want is for the wipers to turn themselves on at a bad time and damage the blades. I always have mine off and just turn to auto when it starts to rain.

I actually find auto wipers a right pia and sometimes wish I had a standard intermittent setting. When its just spitting with rain, even on the highest sensitivity they will never wipe frequently enough for my liking.

I also never use the Auto-lights, the main reason being I have no idea whether I have dipped beam or sidelights on due to the complete lack of dash light to differentiate, so I just use the manual positions.

its a shame really that Ford didnt do what they did with the lights, in offering an extra position instead of replacing intermittent with Auto.

I would prefer to pick whether I want Auto, Off, Inter, Normal or fast, like you can pick from the standard light position as well as auto.

I agree with btmaldon.

The last thing you want is for the wipers to turn themselves on at a bad time and damage the blades. I always have mine off and just turn to auto when it starts to rain.

I actually find auto wipers a right pia and sometimes wish I had a standard intermittent setting. When its just spitting with rain, even on the highest sensitivity they will never wipe frequently enough for my liking.

I also never use the Auto-lights, the main reason being I have no idea whether I have dipped beam or sidelights on due to the complete lack of dash light to differentiate, so I just use the manual positions.

its a shame really that Ford didnt do what they did with the lights, in offering an extra position instead of replacing intermittent with Auto.

I would prefer to pick whether I want Auto, Off, Inter, Normal or fast, like you can pick from the standard light position as well as auto.

Suppose that would be an improvement but we have to remember the fiesta is just a small compact after all, having features like this in the first place is impressive - although thinking again I suppose it isn't the cheapest of small cars around.

:)

Interesting reading your comments above.

Yes, I tend to agree with some thoughts that treat the 'auto' setting as an intermittent setting and let the 'car' decide. Am I right in saying the sensitivety is adjusted with the wheel on the stick ? (Again, apologies. No manual supplied - does anyone have a link to get a pdf ?) Which is the most sensitive ? With the wheel up or down ?

Thanks for any help.

As for the auto lights, well, the jury is still out on this with me. In a way its best to be over sensistive with the lighting conditions. So many cars are driving around with the lights on during the day, no one takes much notice. (Memories of years gone by when you got an insecent amount of flashing from people who dared to have their lights on outside the lighting up period). Driving in foggy or misty condition, well, God forbid this is hard work, I have to override the feature by turning the switch a notch ! LOL

:rolleyes:

Wipers are most sensitive with the white marker on the roller at the top of the stalk. I often find rolling down then backup increases sensitivity if they are not wiping though.

Never mind auto wipers or auto lights, although I've got them on mine & they both work fine for me.

I reckon there are far too many people that need auto indicators as they don't bleedin' use 'em :angry:

• 8 months later...

I don't know if others have had this issue, but the auto wipers on my s-max are a nightmare - you turn them on with any level of rain and they run a for a couple of sweeps then go to max speed and stay there - even with the finest drizzle!

I've tried adjusting the wheel to the lowest or highest point or places in between but no better.

The blades were replacement Bosch ones from Halfords - is there a chance they're not long enough to clear over the sensor?

I don't know if others have had this issue, but the auto wipers on my s-max are a nightmare - you turn them on with any level of rain and they run a for a couple of sweeps then go to max speed and stay there - even with the finest drizzle!

I've tried adjusting the wheel to the lowest or highest point or places in between but no better.

The blades were replacement Bosch ones from Halfords - is there a chance they're not long enough to clear over the sensor?

This should be easy to see , if they sweep across the sensor in the middle , if the sensor has come away from the inside of the screen then , it could be causing faults , people often find this problem if the screen has been replaced and the sensor not refitted properly

I'll have to wait for it to rain again! I think the replacement wipers are 3/4 of an inch too short to sweep over the sensor - fine for normal use, but no good for auto setting...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club