Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mot Failure

paulthemilk

Can anyone help please. My Galaxy (1998) has just failed its mot on offside track rod end ball joint has excessive play. Can you tell me what parts I would need to buy and whether (as a complete novice) I would be able to repair myself. Thanks

• Like 1

Can anyone help please. My Galaxy (1998) has just failed its mot on offside track rod end ball joint has excessive play. Can you tell me what parts I would need to buy and whether (as a complete novice) I would be able to repair myself. Thanks

You will need to buy an O/S 'Track rod end', you will be able to get one of these from a local motor factors for about £10-£15.

A basic tool kit is enough, spanners, hammer, grips etc..

There is a locking nut at the rear of the track rod end, you will need to undo this just enough to take the pressure of the track rod end (might need to soak this with penetrating spray first)

you need to undo the nut securing the track rod to the steering knuckle, then give the side of the knuckle a few sharp taps with a hammer and it should shock it loose - if that fails put the nut on a few turns and give it a whack.

The track rod end should then unscrew from the track rod, remember to mark or count the turns! Some after market track rod ends are different lengths to the original parts so counting the threads isn't always everything - a local garage should be able to set the tracking for around £20.

hope this helps a little.