Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Considering 2.0Tdci Or 1.8 Petrol Zetec S 2010

stinger70

As title, my next car is almost certainly going to be a focus zetec s, I dont like the new focus at all and the mk2.5 has always appealed to me. Im trying to decide between a 1.8 petrol and 2.0 diesel and would like some opinions. Im currently driving a 1.25 2001 fiesta freestyle and worked out the combined mpg at 42! which is not bad at all. Is the 1.8 petrol going to be fast enough? And how much worse will the mpg be than the 2.0 diesel? The problem is i can pick up a petrol for just under 10k on a 09 or 59 plate, but diesels are mostly 10 onwards, and for the spec i want are currently £15k! I want white or black, st wheels, privacy glass etc. Cant decide whether to cut my losses and get the slightly older black petrol model, or go all the way and get the 2.0 diesel on a 10 or 60 plate fully loaded and in frozen white.

hi, what type of mileage are you going to be doing? ie city/town or motorway? the reason i ask is because from 2007 onwards diesels are fitted with a DPF and some of those have additive to go along with it, to make them euro 4 or 5 compliant. anyways it is known that driving a diesel in town/city conditions doesnt do this filter any good and quickly becomes blocked giving you a massive bill by the dealers to fix. but driving in motoroway conditions and keeping at speed keeps the filter happy and unblocked as it can carry out a regen. at somepoint though, the DPF has to be replaced and the additive refilled and counter reset by the dealer. however the refill needs to happen at every 37.5k miles and the DPF needs replacing at 75k miles...this is known to some as the £1000 service! but its down to you if you have the car at that mileage. so for majority city/town driving get yourself a petrol so you wont suffer this DPF fate quicker. for motorway driving get yourself the diesel...as i say it will keep it happy untill you need a refill or replacement.

hope this helps in your decision.

thanks for the reply. My mileage is low probably 7000 at the most, which is combined between town miles and dual carriageway. Not many motorway miles. The car will be bought with less than 20k on the clock so it will be a LONG while before it reaches 70k. Im leaning toward the diesel for a better balance of power and economy, the petrol is slower with fairly bad economy i would imagine. I've only seen one white petrol zetec s for sale so if i go for the white then i guess it will have to be diesel anyway!

but when you buy diesel the car costs me on the outset, and in town driving you probably wouldnt get that much difference between petrol and diesel economy... especially with the engine sizes you are looking at, you would be better off going for an eco model on petrol in the later mk2.5 or the diesel, as the newer Diesels apparently have a maintenance free DPF.

Jeebowhite is correct about getting diesel over petrol when town driving. I do a 9 mile round trip stop start and my 1.6 tdci does a pathetic 38.5 mpg.I have saved little over the last year and a half with this diesel over a petrol. I also do 7000 miles a year on average.Plus i cant wait to have the DPF replaced around the 75k mark at a cost of a £1000. Yeah the tax is cheaper, mine is £95 for the year with low insurance too.

In hindsight i wished i had gone for the 1.8 tdci zetec model. ......Oh well.

I would much prefer to have the Dsl. I have driven the 1.8 Petrol and had to fill up twice a month and the power was good but rubbish MPG 25-29 at most. The 2.0TDCI might be the wrong Dsl Engine for you. I had the 1.6TDCi Zetec S and loved it. Got 39-45 out of it. Yes much less than book says but alot better than 25-29 out of the petrol and my fuel lasted me a Month and a half rather than half a month. The 1.6TDCi feels better to drive than the 1.8 petrol too and with the cost of fuel only been 3pence different at most pumps i say the 1.6TDCi is the best one.

BTW i normally drive 15-20Miles a day so not huge at all

Hi, without wanting to start an argument can I clarify the dpf issue and banish certain 'generalisations' which might help you with your choice.I drive a 2.0l Mk4 Mondeo, same engine and with a dpf, all my driving is around town. Under those conditions Ford has setup the ecu to perform a regen every 500 miles or so, and ,if I let the regen complete, there are no issues. However just to make sure I take my car on a rapid drive, 20 miles or so, on only 'A' roads once a month, when the exhaust reaches a certain temperature the regen will also kick in automatically. I have had no issues in three years of owning the car, I've also known the same model to be on the original dpf after over 140,000 miles of its life. Ford have one of the best implimentation of the dpf than the majority of other manufacturers. Certainly it is better than the Mazda 6 when failed regens result in blown engines due to the sump filling up with diesel,I have never known this to happen with the 2.0l diesel engine as fitted.

Cheers,

Chris

Having had a 2.0 turbo diesl engine in the Volvo S40 built on the Mk2 focus platform, I would opt for the 2.0 diesel every time [with the proviso it was a 08 or 09 model with the newer no maintenance CDPF. OK with my current 1.6 petrol, the difference in mpg when running the Volvo was only circa 7 to 8 more mpg,[40mpg 2.0 diesel] But what a drive. Now before the Volvo we had a 1.8 Zetec petrol Focus, that was a thirsty beast returning I would hazard a guess round 25mpg. OK some peeps will say they get more, but the comparisons I give are relative to my type of driving.

i've recently bought a 10 plate 1.6 tdci and gotta say i love it! i only do short journeys through the week just to work and a total of 15 miles a day but at the weekends i have a nice drive upto newcastle from sheffield or an alternative 45 min drive if i go fishing instead so hoping i wont have any DPF issues which have been mentioned!

i've read some of the figures of the mpg for the 1.6 tdci above and i'm getting quite abit more, i'm currently averaging 61 mpg just driving to work and back, this is not based on my long journeys at the weekend as i regularly reset the average mpg counter just to see how i'm driving, then when i reset it for the journey up north near enough every time i get 70+

overall i love the car, its not as sluggish as what i thought it would be, having previously owned a Focus ST i was quite worried about the difference but i was pleasently surprised! i'm not saying the 1.6 tdci is any where near the performance of the ST but was happy with the tdci's performance!