Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Spare Wheel

Jon Hunt

i no the s-max does not have a spare wheel but i am sure you could have one as a option extra.

if anyone has one where do they put the spare wheel??

i have got one from work (car total loss) and i thought it went in the boot cos it sort off round but not big enuf??

is it a kit to attach under the boot??

any info be helpfull

There's nowhere to attach it underneath. A few owners over on the smax owners club have bought a mondeo space-saver spare wheel and carry it in the boot - you can use the elasticated load retention net across the securing points to stop it flying around.

ya bit hard when there 6of us in the car but good idea.

anyone from ford no?? might ask a mate to ask a mate about it.

sure i sore it in the book saying spare wheel optional extra

• 5 months later...

The lack of a spare wheel is the only thing that puts me off the S-Max!

Cheap Jack!

Been looking at the Mondeo space save but it has a 16in wheel and mine ore 17in - dont suppose it matters a lot as you are only trying to get to the tyre depot - speed is restricted to 50MPH

Anyone any other ideas? its a real pest as I am going to tour Germany next year and would not go without one

Pete

The lack of a spare wheel is the only thing that puts me off the S-Max!

Cheap Jack!

Been looking at the Mondeo space save but it has a 16in wheel and mine ore 17in - dont suppose it matters a lot as you are only trying to get to the tyre depot - speed is restricted to 50MPH

Anyone any other ideas? its a real pest as I am going to tour Germany next year and would not go without one

Pete

I've gone with the following solution -

Ordered the same wheel used on my S-Max (17" 5 spoke alloy) from FordOnlineParts (best price - £137.48) - http://www.fordonlineparts.co.uk/product/Ford_S-Max_17%27%27_5-spoke_Alloy_Wheel_-_2006-2010_-_1440630_F1440630-643

Ordered a 28" diameter cover for it from amazon (£7.78) - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001I2NXXU. Its a bit too big but was the closest fit I could find.

Plan to order a 225/50 R17 98W tyre as normally used on my car from somewhere - havent decided yet. Probably Kwik Fit or similar - so they can do the fitting

Will then place the wheel / tyre combo in boot horizontally and strap down using luggage strap points behind middle seat and rear of boot.

Plan to cut plywood to the same diameter as the tyre and place this on top of spare wheel and then top of with the cover. May also cut holes in the ply to allow straps to pass through - not sure this would work though. This would help to minimise the loss of space by allowing the spare wheel to be used as a shelf.

Sounds good as a part solution but it takes up a lot of room in the boot?

To see how much I was thinking of jacking the car up and taking a wheel off and putting it in the boot.....

Someone else suggested the Meodeo space saver as they said they had pulled one of the back seats slightly forward and put it vertically down behind the second row of seats

Someone else said that the difference in size would make little difference to the handling of the car provided you kept it below 50 mph

Why are we put in this position by Ford? its not right - I would have given up the 2 extra seats in the third row if I could have had a spare wheel!

pete

You cannot use a space saver on the smax - it is too heavy for a skinny spare and you risk a blow-out. Your insurance will also not cover you if you were to have an accident whilst driving with a skinny spare.

• 1 month later...

What i have done is Took a Space Saver off a Ford Focus (was a total loss no one going to miss it.)

Keep that in the boot just in case just to get me to a garage to get a new tyre.

No jack etc i just use aa/green flag to change it.

the s-max is only 2-300kg more then a Mondeo plus your load space saver should be fine to get you to a place to have a new tyre space saver s are not meant for long trips it's just to get you out of trouble and to a garage.

I also have X4 16" 5spoke alloys all with new rubber that where the orginal wheels till i fitted the 18" alloys of a Kuga i got cheap.

when ever i Tow a trailer i put one in the trailer just in case. as that is a bit more weight and dont waan tow with a space saver on.

If anyone intrested in buying a Alloy with a nearly new tyre msg me as i selling the trailer i used and gettin a van so no need to keep 4spare alloys

205/60/16 rubber

http://www.fordonlineparts.co.uk/product/Ford_S-Max_16%27%27_5-spoke_Alloy_Wheel_-_2006-2010_-_1447905_F1447905-639

jonhunt85@hotmail.com

jonhunt85@facebook.com

Yes but you should check that your insurance company will cover you when the wheel is in use. As the Smax was not designed for a space-saver spare, you may find it you were involved in an accident your insurance may be invalidated if you were running a space-saver...

• 4 weeks later...

mate it a spare to get ya out of agg and to a garage for some rubber thats all it design to do and what it will be used for.

Mate if ya put that spare on it will get ya into agg not out of it.

Just hope ya don't carry passengers when ya need to use it.

Good luck with that fella.

& lets hope you don't have an accident whilst it's on as you'll be in big do-do's if your insurance company don't know about it.... you'll be effectively driving without insurance!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club