Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Changing Exhaust

Rob89

Hello

I have many, many questions lol, please help me^^

I have a Ford Focus MK1 1.8L 2000 Model and it had it's MoT in January. I was told that the exhaust was blowing.

Today I checked it out because the rattling was annoying me now and I found that my Central and Rear boxs wear blowing and leaking. I found this out by covering up the back box exit with my hand to find that water sprayed out from both boxes. They are both extremely rusty too.

Now I'de really like to attempt to repair this myself as it doesn't look too hard according to this link:

http://myfordfocus.com/how-to/cat-back.htm (Assuming it is correct?)

But what is confusing was it is telling my to saw off the Back Box from the Central Box before the rear suspension.

Is this correct?

Then this led me to wondering how would I connect these parts together on the new set?

Do I need some sort of glue or clamp?

It is also meantioning that I'll need a new Gasket, but was wondering if I could re-use the old one?

Here are the parts I'm looking at:

Back Box: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160468385739&category=21654

Central Box: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150480021996&category=21654

Neither meantion anything about connecting each part together or in need of a new gasket.

If I went to a garage, roughly how much would this all cost to get it done?

If it's cheaper to DIY, then I'll do it.

I really need these questions answered. I've got some experience on repairing cars but this is my first exhaust.

Thanks

The exhaust isnt a difficult job just a little restricted when your working on your back.

You will need to cut the back box off as you wont get it through the rear axle.

The new parts clamp together, with a little exhaust paste in the joint it should be a good seal. you will need to know the diameter of the pipe to get the correct U-bolt clamp.

for the flange joint at the front i would try fit a new gasket if you can, if not a small amount of paste on there should be enough.

Take it easy with the exhaust paste - its quite messy stuff

where in the country are you?

The exhaust isnt a difficult job just a little restricted when your working on your back.

You will need to cut the back box off as you wont get it through the rear axle.

The new parts clamp together, with a little exhaust paste in the joint it should be a good seal. you will need to know the diameter of the pipe to get the correct U-bolt clamp.

for the flange joint at the front i would try fit a new gasket if you can, if not a small amount of paste on there should be enough.

Take it easy with the exhaust paste - its quite messy stuff

Hey thanks for that, I didnt think about it running through the axel. Thats cleared up.

I'll need to check the gasket to see its condition now but would rather replace that too if its rusty.

How much do you think this would be if I went to a garage roughly?

Hey thanks for that, I didnt think about it running through the axel. Thats cleared up.

I'll need to check the gasket to see its condition now but would rather replace that too if its rusty.

How much do you think this would be if I went to a garage roughly?

I would reckon at a garage - £200?

I would reckon at a garage - £200?

Fwar.. thats more than double the cost of parts lol. Think I'll try myself.

I always like the feeling after fixing my car.

Sorry I'm from the NE Coast. South Tyneside or Newcaslte/Sunderland is my closest cities

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club