Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2.0 Tdci Modeo Judder And Smoke

MrGoatsmilk

Been looking around every now and then and decided to join. I'm only a basic diyer with interest and enjoy getting to the bottom of a problem with my own tools when poss, otherwise it goes to a garage.

I have 54 reg Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI that has 29k on the clock and has been regularly serviced, I have been getting a judder when cruising at around 1500rpm both via foot pedal and cruise control. I also get a lot of black smoke when overtaking or accelerating quicker than the normal pull away. Sometimes the judder is worse than other times. I have cleaned both the EGR twice (2nd time it was still very clean from the first time) and the manifold once and have given it time to settle down over a few hundred miles, but no difference.

Would I be worth changing the pipes that supply the turbo as I believe that from reading various posts that could also cause the symptoms I have and could be a split that I may or may not see with a visual inspection. If so which ones do I go for first I seem to remember reading that one is behind the rear of the engine? Another from the EGR?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Stuart

your car is showing the classic symptoms of a split intercooler pipe,this is the large pipe that runs from the bottom of the egr valve, check for any oil/slime on the outside of the pipe,you may have to remove the bottom engine cover if you have one to do this.

your car is showing the classic symptoms of a split intercooler pipe,this is the large pipe that runs from the bottom of the egr valve, check for any oil/slime on the outside of the pipe,you may have to remove the bottom engine cover if you have one to do this.

Cheers for the reply, will change it and let you know how it goes.

Thanks

Stuart

• 1 month later...

I took both rubber pipes off, one from the EGR that runs down and also the one that connects to the intercooler behind the front bumper, both pipes look almost new no oil or residue on the outer. Inside of the pipes are wet with oily residue so would expect some to have seeped out any holes or cuts but none has, the metal pipe that connects the 2 rubber hoses also looks fine, I've made sure all the jubilee clips are secured properly and the inter cooler also looks new, nothing appears to be leaking from there.

Are there any other problems that the symptoms could be pointing towards. Fauty EGR? I believe they can be blanked off and makes no difference to emission tests here in the UK, is this correct?

Thanks again

Stuart

on a 54 reg it will be the euro 3 engine so you can blank off the egr valve without effecting the emissions or running of the car.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again I was only looking at blanking plates yesterday, I was reading about problems with the 4 when blanking, mine has the plug on the end and a small vacuum pipe coming from the EGR which I believe confirms the euro 3? Or does the cable mean it's a 4?

Here is a pic of the valve in situ http://dl.dropbox.com/u/38226755/IMAG0275.jpg

tn._IMAG0275.jpg

Stu

it look like you have an early euro 4 so blanking is not an option,if you do thr eml light will come on due to lack of egr flow,

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club