Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can Anyone Help Me With The Bonnet Latch

Magor

hi guys

havent long got my 59 plate fiesta, just finished cleaning the car and checked the washer fluid level and the engine oil al fine untill i came to put the bonnet down and it isnt seeming to catch

just wondering if anyones had this problem or know anyways on how to fix it ?

any help would be much appreciated

cheers dan

hi guys

havent long got my 59 plate fiesta, just finished cleaning the car and checked the washer fluid level and the engine oil al fine untill i came to put the bonnet down and it isnt seeming to catch

cheers dan

Try adjusting the two rubber stops either side of the catch on the underside of the bonnet try !Removed! them in. I had the problem they where screwed in too far so my bonnet was loose.yours might be too far out.

hi guys

cheers dan

Try adjusting the two rubber stops either side of the catch on the underside of the bonnet try !Removed! them in. I had the problem they where screwed in too far so my bonnet was loose.yours might be too far out.

hi guys

cheers dan

I know it sounds silly but has the handle in the car gone back ?

This happened to my old Mk6 had to replace the bonnet catch, £5 in the scrap yard

Had the same problem on my Mk7, was closing but not fully locking. Took it to my local dealer and the adjusted the catch itself as the spring was not releasing correctly.

had this problem, latch wasn't releasing and returning to normal position ready to lock; wacked in a load of WD40; problem solved.

• 8 years later...

Just bought 08 fiesta. Bonnet won't  lock properly. And the release tab is visible outside of bonnet. Please help.

Angela, the release tab will stick out unless the bonnet is latched correctly,  So I would start with a bit of lubrication around the moving parts of the latch, use something like 3 in 1 to start with, and exercise the catch by pulling the release handle a few times to get the oil to move around.  You can fool the catch by using a screwdriver shaft pretending to be the bonnet to see if it works correctly without actually dropping the bonnet, the pulling the release to "open" it.

I drop my bonnet from about a foot above the slam panel, 

The bonnet latch mechanism is starting to seize up, because its a hardly used part it becomes stiff as hell.

Our 10 plate started with the problem about a year ago, only way to cure it is to remove the latch and thoroughly clean all the moving parts and re-oil all the moving parts and refit it, don't just blast it with WD-40 and think that it's ok now, the problem will occur again, after you've put the latch back in place give it a good oiling all over it, to keep out the damp.

On no account start adjusting the bump stops, this is not your problem here, adjusting the stops will only lead to other problems like the bonnet too lose on the catch - the bonnet too tight on the catch - throwing the bonnet out of alignment with the wings.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club