RR7

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Name: Richard
  • Ford Model: S-Max Titanium 2.5T
  • Year: 2006

Posted 21 October 2011 - 12:14 PM

Assuming you're referring to the plastic fascia below the cluster (above the steering column) then pull it firmly toward you, it will bend in the middle (don't worry about that it's quite flexible).

does this actually come out? i've been trying this for over an hour now and it wont move, the sides seem to push below the lip but it wont come forward at all. it looks like the plastic tab that pushes into the bottom right hole in the instruments is starting to stress due to the movement i've forcing it into.

i dont want to break it, but i cant see this is a 5 minute job unless i'm missing something obvious (which is likely)

#18 137699

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • Ford Model: 2006 S-max Titanium X Sport 2.5T

Posted 21 October 2011 - 02:23 PM

You don't need to take it out - you just bend it sufficiently to obtain access to the screws.

#19 RR7

RR7

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 05:15 PM

You don't need to take it out - you just bend it sufficiently to obtain access to the screws.

Ah, I see. Surely it must come out though?

They bloke that's going to correct the mileage says he wants to fit it as he takes settings from the old cluster, guess I'll just leave it till then....if I can remain patient enough!

#20 RR7

RR7

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 03:22 PM

Okay, for some reason it's a maration job to take it out properly, I miss my BMW a bit ;)

I'll go for the bending method I guess.

Anyone here actually bothered to get their mileage fixed afterward? Ford and another workshop both tell me this can only be done on new units.

I'll have to try one of them mobile services.

Anyone had any grief since fitnent? Service warnings or anything like that?

Someone said the immobiliser code is in the dash, sounds like scaremongering though.

#21 137699

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 04:22 PM

Apart from the mileage (I have no idea if the mobile guys can correct that or not - I was also told only new units could have the mileage reprogrammed), you may need your GEM or BCM modules reprogrammed if you have any electrical wierdness - not always the case, but you might have the lights on the dash not coming on when you turn on the headlights.

This just needs an IDS session to update your car's settings so that it works with the advanced cluster.

If your car has had any software updates in the past (or depending on manufacture date) it may not need this anyway.

#22 RR7

RR7

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 12:07 PM

What's an IDS session?

I fitted it today, I see what you mean now, I could do another one in about 10 mins.

The dials backlight doesn't come on with the lights. My s-max is a 56 plate so it's before the convers came out.

Everything else seems fine.

The mileage was only 20 on the clock(that's 000020)

So perhaps it can be programmed by ford.

I

#23 RR7

RR7

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 03:22 PM

Hmm, not going well, the BCM doesn't seem to want to update, tried with new and old cluster in.

All fine apart from the damn dial back lights :/

#24 RR7

RR7

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 05:18 PM

For clarification, the facts about mileage reprogramming are:

Fords official software will only update a cluster that has less than 100 miles on the clock by design.

Mobile mileage correction companies that use 3rd party software are not restricted in such a way.

#25 137699

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:36 PM

IDS session = plugging your car into your Ford Dealer's diagnostics system to update the car settings so that it's set to operate with a convers+ dashboard & correct the dashboard lights.

Has yours been done now? Let me know when you get it sorted as I have to do the same on mine at some point.

#26 RR7

RR7

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:17 PM

No, it's not done.

I took it for an ids session, the software kept bombing out when updating the BCM saying it could not communicate with the module. We tried this with two different laptops with current and older ids.

It basically cost me a couple of hours labour to not fix it.

So is yours also not working? I was under the impression that yours and someone's else's here were straight swapped and working.

I take it you mean the back lights for the dials when you say dash lights?

#27 137699

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:35 PM

I don't have my convers+ cluster fitted yet, as the mileage on my convers cluster is 10,000 miles more than the car has already done.
I have trial fitted it though and on mine the speedo/rev counter backlight didn't come on with the headlights, and nor did the rest of the dashboard illumination (i.e. climate control buttons, radio buttons, headlight switch etc.).

Refitting the old non-convers+ cluster and all the lights work fine again.

I'm aware that others have not had this problem when retro-fitting convers+ and it is (I'm reliably informed) down to software versions on the BCM and/or GEM modules. If the software version pre-dated the release of the convers+ cluster, it has to be upgraded. On 2007+ cars I'm told it's not a problem as they have newer software pre-loaded at the factory.

#28 RR7

RR7

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:40 PM

What's the gem module? Is that the firmware on the cluster?

We flashed the cluster with the latest software to no avail.

The BCM thing makes perfect sense, but like I said mine wouldn't flash. Not sure what to do next, can't chuck too much money at it for a while.

#29 137699

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 10:15 PM

GEM = General Electric Module.

It's the multiplexer device that controls many of the in car electrical systems.

#30 RR7

RR7

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 09:18 PM

GEM = General Electric Module.

It's the multiplexer device that controls many of the in car electrical systems.

are you going to get your BCM updated any time soon? since mine wouldnt flash i'd like to know if its worth pursuing why it wont flash. already spend a bit trying to get it done, i'm hoping you might now make a move :)

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users