3 replies to this topic

#1 Traceymac

Traceymac

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8 D Titanium Estate
Posted 08 December 2008 - 05:45 PM

Hi, new to this forum, can anyone help?

I recently bought a 56 plate focus 1.8 diesel estate. My husband noticed the temperature gauge was staying pretty low during normal driving. Around the 60 mark. The temperature seemed to go up and down depending how fast he was driving. But never reaching the 12 o'clock position.

As a result of this, he thinks I'm not getting the fuel economy I should be. Only getting about 40mpg.

The dealer has said there is nothing wrong with it, but my husband doesn't think thats right. Before he goes down there and shouts at people, any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Tracey

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 mintalkin

mintalkin

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,467 posts
  • Name: mintalkin
  • Ford Model: mondeo tdci 130
  • Year: 2006

Posted 08 December 2008 - 05:56 PM

it sounds like you could have a thermostat problem

#3 Traceymac

Traceymac

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8 D Titanium Estate
Posted 09 December 2008 - 06:27 PM

Thankyou for that. The dealer said there is no fault. I'll keep an eye over the next few days though, so I have more evidence!

#4 getfocusworking

getfocusworking

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Ford Model: focus zetec 1.6
Posted 09 December 2008 - 07:41 PM

Hi.....
Find the thermostat housing on the car near the bottom radiator hose on early Focus models.

Start the car from cold and let it start to warm up,put your hand on the hose from the thermostat
housing which should stay cold until the water in the engine warms to 82 degrees then the hot water should be felt coming through the hose and in to the radiator,you should feel quick heat in the hose.

If this does not happen and the hose just gets warmer and warmer then the thermostat is stuck open keeping the engine running cold
and will need replacing which is an easy job to do and should not be to expensive.

If you do have the thermostat replaced make sure that it is a genuine Ford thermostat because
the rubber seal around the thermostat will leak if you use a cheap replacement part and it will all have to come out again at a latter date.

Hope it helps good luck.

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users