Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cruise Control Not Working As Expected?

PumpkinSteve

Just thought I'd ask and see if anyone else has this issue:

My cruise control only comes on if I press the '+' button to increase the speed. If I have the cruise control on and set the speed to 70mph and then switch it off, in theory when I press 'ON' the system should remember that I previously set it to 70mph and then reactivate it at that? At the moment the 'ON' button appears to do nothing at all :(

in theory when I press 'ON' the system should remember that I previously set it to 70mph and then reactivate it at that?

No, it is the other ( right-side ? ) button that does it, the RES/CAN button. That one re-installs the speed you had set by pushing the + button.

The ON button is only needed the first time, to start the cruisecontrol.

The first time you have to push ON and then +, after that you can change the speed by clicking on + only ( or - ).

To stop it temporarely and then go back to the previous set speed, you have to push the RES (from RESUME not RESET) button. And it is CAN from CANCEL (as in cancel the working of the cruisecontrol).

So first you cancel the cruisecontrol, then you resume it (at the speed you had it set the last time during that trip).

Other cars I've owned with cruise control had the same feature (you activate cruise control with the "on" button but it doesn't actually take control of the throttle until you press "+") - possibly a safety feature in case you accidentally press the "on" button? If you need to over-ride the cruise control by braking or accelerating then you use the "resume" button to re-engage the set speed (if you switch the cruise control off before braking or accelerating the the cruise control will need "on" and "+" pressing again.

I see, it sounds like all is well then, thanks guys. I did check the manual but all it has is a couple of pictures, not really any description of how to operate it.

I see, it sounds like all is well then, thanks guys. I did check the manual but all it has is a couple of pictures, not really any description of how to operate it.

by the way, something I've wondered about with the cruise control on a manual box. My Fiesta is an automatic so if I'm doing 70 on the motorway and I'm on a bit of an incline (Windy Hill on the M62 for example) then the car will drop down a gear and give it a bit of oomph to get it to the top of the hill - how does this work on a manual? Does the car just struggle in the current gear or does it warn you somehow or does it disengage the cruise control? (none sound ideal)

by the way, something I've wondered about with the cruise control on a manual box. My Fiesta is an automatic so if I'm doing 70 on the motorway and I'm on a bit of an incline (Windy Hill on the M62 for example) then the car will drop down a gear and give it a bit of oomph to get it to the top of the hill - how does this work on a manual? Does the car just struggle in the current gear or does it warn you somehow or does it disengage the cruise control? (none sound ideal)

I haven't come across a hill that caused the car to struggle as I only use mine on fairly flat A-roads but I would guess that the car just slows down and then accelerates back up to speed once it passes the hill.

The car will try to maintain the speed and so struggle along ... the cruisecontrol will only disengage atuomaticly when the rpm goes below 1100 - 1200.

Or as soon the driver changes gear, up or down, or brakes .

• 2 weeks later...

Just to confirm it is the same as the rest of the Ford Range and most cars, there is a switch on the Brake Pedal and Clutch Pedal aswell as the steering wheel controls. So if the clutch or brake is even slightly touched it turns the system off.