• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts
  • Name: John
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.6L MK1.5
  • Year: 2004

Posted 25 June 2011 - 08:47 PM

Hello people

I might be slightly drunk when posting this so bare with me. Since this is my first car (I guess) i'm VERY paranoid about eveverything. It doesnt help that i've found out the first registered keeper. Just looking for advice on how to stop being so worried about everything because it's really getting to me know i'm getting depressed. I've had to change the tyres and brakes now

Heres an image of the engine bay, does it look healthy? What are the signs of a healthy car on these types of car?

This was taken when I got the car, it's still in the same condition

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 jay1981

jay1981

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec 1.8 TDCI
  • Year: 2009

Posted 25 June 2011 - 09:25 PM

I wouldn't worry, looking at the picture, all looks good with nothing obvious wrong. Your coolant looks clean which is a good sign, and your PAS fluid is up to the maximum. Just remember to check the oil and coolant levels weekly.

Brakes and tyres need changing on any car.

#3 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 5,866 posts
  • Name: Stefan
  • Ford Model: Mondeo ST TDCI
  • Year: 2006
Contributor

Posted 25 June 2011 - 09:30 PM

What is making you worried? Brakes and tyres are consumables so i wouldnt let these get you down mate.

#4 johnS

johnS

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 09:32 PM

What is making you worried? Brakes and tyres are consumables so i wouldnt let these get you down mate.

thanks for the replies so far

I guess whats making me worried is the fast that "HERTZ UK LTD" is the first registerd keeper. and partly because it's my first car

#5 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 5,866 posts
  • Name: Stefan
  • Ford Model: Mondeo ST TDCI
  • Year: 2006
Contributor

Posted 25 June 2011 - 09:37 PM

thanks for the replies so far

I guess whats making me worried is the fast that "HERTZ UK LTD" is the first registerd keeper. and partly because it's my first car

Unless you know something about the first owner that i dont, i wouldnt let this worry you. Providing the car has been looked after you will be just fine :)

#6 johnS

johnS

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 09:39 PM

Unless you know something about the first owner that i dont, i wouldnt let this worry you. Providing the car has been looked after you will be just fine :)

thanks mate. It's just the uncertainty, it was ex-rental

#7 jay1981

jay1981

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec 1.8 TDCI
  • Year: 2009

Posted 25 June 2011 - 10:07 PM

With your car being ex-rental, at least it will have been well serviced. I have had a couple of ex-company cars before and all of them were well looked after by the lease company. None of them gave any trouble. The only thing was the milage was a little high.

I would rather have a car that has been used, instead of one that has been owned by an old granny and used for the shopping trip once a week.

#8 johnS

johnS

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 10:10 PM

With your car being ex-rental, at least it will have been well serviced. I have had a couple of ex-company cars before and all of them were well looked after by the lease company. None of them gave any trouble. The only thing was the milage was a little high.

I would rather have a car that has been used, instead of one that has been owned by an old granny and used for the shopping trip once a week.

this is true however, I'm the 3rd registered keeper. The 2nd had the car after it's rental days and drove it about 21,000mls in 5 years so I dunno

#9 catch

catch

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • Ford Model: MK2.5 Focus 1.6 Titanium Petrol
  • Year: 2011
Posted 26 June 2011 - 08:28 AM

John is this paranoia / worry limited to the car only, or does it affect other areas of you everyday life ?

My present car in its first life was a lease car, then it had another owner for three years, now I've had it for nearly two years.................John there is no problem...............only problem I can see is, if you don't learn to chill........you will be dead by the time your forty

#10 johnS

johnS

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 10:27 AM

John is this paranoia / worry limited to the car only, or does it affect other areas of you everyday life ?

My present car in its first life was a lease car, then it had another owner for three years, now I've had it for nearly two years.................John there is no problem...............only problem I can see is, if you don't learn to chill........you will be dead by the time your forty

yeah just car really, I take after my dad which worries a lot I think lol

#11 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 21,144 posts
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 27 June 2011 - 08:32 AM

Lol, i spent more than enough of my flcus days worrying, as has been mentioned, rentals can and tend to be very well maintained!

The only thing you cant account for is clutch life as it could have been abused, other than that you cant have as bad a motor as mine was :unsure:

#12 catch

catch

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • Ford Model: MK2.5 Focus 1.6 Titanium Petrol
  • Year: 2011
Posted 27 June 2011 - 08:38 AM

you cant have as bad a motor as mine was :unsure:

And if he had had the misfortune to own your motor jeeb, he would no doubt have been institutionalised by now :ph34r:

#13 johnS

johnS

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:54 AM

I guess, it was only with Hertz for it's first 12,500mls

I guess when the garage say things need replacing I think what has happened to make it fail or worn and weather or not it's within the right amount of milage for wearing out if you see what I mean. Like it's in right now for new brake pads and discs, is 42,000mls for original brakes good?

#14 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 21,144 posts
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 27 June 2011 - 10:11 AM

And if he had had the misfortune to own your motor jeeb, he would no doubt have been institutionalised by now :ph34r:

I fully agree on that one catch! I nearly commited myself...

as for 42k on original brakes thats not bad for a rental car as it would be abused by different people, but I go by 45k on average for a set of pads on the focus, which is not bad at all if you got 42 on a rental / another owner!

#15 johnS

johnS

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 10:51 AM

I fully agree on that one catch! I nearly commited myself...

as for 42k on original brakes thats not bad for a rental car as it would be abused by different people, but I go by 45k on average for a set of pads on the focus, which is not bad at all if you got 42 on a rental / another owner!

Do you think it's been abused, though. This is the thing that makes me paranoid. What are the symptoms of abuse? I herd the alloy wheels are a good start to check for marks and there arent many, dont know what else though

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users