Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • Name: Chris
  • Ford Model: Mk3 Focus Titanium X
  • Year: 2011

Posted 01 July 2011 - 06:26 PM

Hi, I guess you'll chose a little more wisely next time. Thing is they are a 'technology' that's been dapted to our every day use. However I am sure Ford are getting a handle on it, certainly they have done better than other manufacturers efforts.
Chris

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 bottletree

bottletree

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Name: Shane
  • Ford Model: C-max 2.0litre. Ghia EST. 2005
  • Year: 2005

Posted 01 July 2011 - 08:05 PM

What i don't understand is that the vehicle tax for my 1.6 tdci with DPF is 95 a year. That is pretty high considering the pollution factor is negligible. On the last M.O.T. the emissions could not read anything due to them being so low. So why the !Removed! high tax then? :angry:
Next diesel i get will come with the DPF not needing renewed.

#18 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 16,496 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 02 July 2011 - 08:43 AM

I agree Cuke, I will choose more carefully, in my very naive young state at purchasing diesel all I heard was "Diesel = good for pockets" - so I thought go for it...

... Then I joined this forum for one reason or another at the time, and was then advised of the DPF... the rest they say is history, I learned a lesson, and my wallet came close to tears, with my new car, I spent a good few months on the Kia forum to try and get a handle on any potential problems I was walking into - needless to say previous investigation into a car is certainly a must! - that is a lesson hard learned!

BT - its the DfT's budget - unfortunately it has been cut somewhat, and they need some way to fund the free bar at the annual doo...

I really dont understand it either, but Tax is based on CO2 emissions primarily, and I agree, how does one with such low CO2 come into it, however I think it also comes under Carbon Monoxide emissions as well as other gasses, and I genuinely think that soot is also a factor that they consider. Anything that leaves the combustion cycle and isnt made into something good to help the world is classed as an emission, and its all taken on board...

... I have said a million times in my short life and I shall say it again - I hate the tax man :)

#19 cuke

cuke

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • Name: Chris
  • Ford Model: Mk3 Focus Titanium X
  • Year: 2011

Posted 02 July 2011 - 11:17 AM

Hi, well diesels have moved on since then, alot it seems. Perhaps you missed my post where I've stated my own Ford has a virtually maintenance free dpf, only requires a 10-20min blast every month, requires no additives, and, at the last count on the talkfords forum, they appear to be lasting well over 100k miles. I agree with you on CO2 tax levels though, why should I, who does about 4.5k a year, have to pay the same car tax as someone who might do tens of thousands in the same year producing massive amounts of CO2 compared to me. It is all unfair, but then, like anything, we have to live with it. I really hope you enjoy your Kia, my next car will be a petrol but not because of there being anything wrong with diesels, it actually has diesel technology, the only reason is that it has the best bang for the bucks...
Chris

#20 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 16,496 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 02 July 2011 - 11:53 AM

I agree entirely, and I wonder if they maybe put all their effort into the mondeo DPF and then the Focus they just bought a batch job from the 99P store for profit...

And I am quite enjoying my new car, I believe its almost three months trouble free motoring!

#21 Satanspants

Satanspants

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Name: Malcolm
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.6TDCi
  • Year: 2006

Posted 11 July 2011 - 04:37 PM

Blast! - After a couple of weeks and a few nice long trips with no problems my Focus has gone into full sulk mode now, I am now waiting for a mobile mechanic (he was recommended by a neighbor) to come and check what faults show up, at least now I will know once and for all what the exact problem is.

I suspect there will be whistling through teeth! :(

#22 RGould

RGould

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Name: Roy
  • Ford Model: Focus Estate

Posted 27 January 2012 - 04:04 PM

Bit old this post now, but did you resolve the issue? I've had similar issues before and it was the fuel filter. Had two of them now with the problem presenting itself a second time. Ford dealer blamed "unclean" supermarket fuel!

#23 Satanspants

Satanspants

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Name: Malcolm
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.6TDCi

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:08 PM

Bit old this post now, but did you resolve the issue? I've had similar issues before and it was the fuel filter. Had two of them now with the problem presenting itself a second time. Ford dealer blamed "unclean" supermarket fuel!

Yes I did - I had this in Fords so many times it was ridiculous, they ended up telling the ECU that I had a new DPF and they topped up the Additive for it - However this did not solve the issue then they said it was the instrument cluster and they loaded up a newer version of software for the instrument cluster saying I would need a new instrument cluster if it did not solve the issue - which it did not.

My car was actually unusable for over a month, randomly starting sometimes and stopping, eventually I tapped the top of the binacle (by accident!) and the car sprang into life, I was then recommended to take my instrument cluster out and send it to a (brilliant) company called BBA Reman they ran some tests found some issues and fixed my instrument cluster.

It was a bit of a faf to get it out (beware the hidden clips - top of instrument cluster!) but they where helpful, friendly and solved my problem the best thing was I arranged it via an Ebay sale and it cost me £125 rather than the £600 Ford's wanted!

Hope this helps!

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users