Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auxiliary Drive Belt Problem

whippet

Hi i own an 09 TDCi 1.6 Zetec Focus and from the day i got it i have heard a kinda 'squeaky ticky clicky' noise coming from engine. I have been to ford a number of times had the belt replaced which cost £70+ coz its not covered by warranty. I have been to other fords around North East, they then decided it was something to do with the tension on the belt, and i am still hearing this !Removed! noise. Has anyone got any idea what else this could be?

Cheers

Rach

The tensioner is spring loaded, try putting the air con on and the heated screens on, does the noise get any louder putting strain on the belt?

the reason I ask is I had the same problem with my car (mondy) and IT WAS the tensioner, the spring inside was creaking/squeaking (it was that bad I thought it was the timing chain) I easly fixed mine (been fine for 12 months now) by taking it off and giving it a good clean out with wd40 then put a bit oil oil inside.

Hope this helps.

I have this sound too. There is another discussion about it in this thread: http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/18888-squeaks-and-knocks/

BIGGSY got the belt replaced which solved the issue in his case, whether he paid for it or not, I'm not sure.

PS: not sure if you should have paid for the belt to be replaced. The Ford warranty says this:

Scheduled maintenance items

The parts listed below have a limited service life and are either replaced or adjusted during scheduled maintenance operations. These parts are covered by the Ford Base Warranty up to the first point at which replacement or adjustment becomes due. The period of warranty cover for any item may not exceed the time and distance limitations of the Ford Base Warranty.

• Drive belts
  • Spark plugs
  • Oil filter, air filter, pollen filter, diesel particulate filter and fuel filters.

And the first point at which the aux belt is due to be replaced is 10 years or 125,000 miles.

PS: not sure if you should have paid for the belt to be replaced. The Ford warranty says this:

And the first point at which the aux belt is due to be replaced is 10 years or 125,000 miles.

mines only lasted 80,000ks just done it and the noise stopped!!

• 5 years later...

I just wanted to bump an old thread as i have this issue.

From cold it sounds like low pitch squeeking noise, as soon as you start to drive and the engine warms up the noise goes away. Someone above said that on the 1.8 the 10 year warranty or 125,000 miles covers the timing belt and the aux belt, is that correct, can you get it done under warranty or would you look like a fool trying to ask for this at a Ford dealership lol ?

1 hour ago, The Joshua Tree said:

Someone above said that on the 1.8 the 10 year warranty or 125,000 miles covers the timing belt and the aux belt,

I am 99.9% certain that the Ford quote is being mis-interpreted there. Without the bold attribute, it looks a little clearer, but it is badly written. It must mean the warranty is for whichever comes first, the service interval OR the normal end of warranty. It is there to limit the warranty on serviceable items, not to extend it!

It would be hopelessly optimistic to expect a 9.9 year warranty on cam belts, or a >60k mile warranty on DPFs.

You could point out the confusing wording to a dealer, but unless you have a clout of a big legal department behind you, I don't think you will get far against Ford corporation or the dealerships!

Sorry about that!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club