Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 1.6Tdci Engine Malfunction Warning

Northernbob

I just posted something similar a couple of days ago (and just found about this)

I have the exact same problem on mine, but it seems to be triggered when I turn on the AC (quicker if I start the AC upon driving (message will show after a dozen of minutes). Slower if I've been driving for some time and then turn the AC on (message will pop up after an hour or so).

I haven't had the time to take it to the garage, but after I associated it to the AC (on my way to a destination), I never turned the AC on while returning (600km) and the message didn't show up (the weather conditions were worst, super hot weather compared to the first part of the journey).

I don't understand anything about cars. ANYTHING at all. But it could be related to the fuel filter somehow, in my case. Turning the AC on will increase fuel consumption. 

Worth mentioning that it's a mk2.5 1.6 diesel (109hp) with 367k km (but a car that only rode highways and was fitted with 6000euros parts before I bought it. Always dealt with in the brand grarage).

• 9 months later...

Hi Lewis, (more than a year too late)

I had the same problem, seems like moist has entered the electronics in the EGR and it shorts the 5V reference voltage to ground. This reference voltage is also used for other equipment (like fuel pressure and accelerator pedal). Without those things the car can't work obviously. The EGR itself isn't that important to have a running engine.

I also had the bad soldering at the instrument cluster connector which cuts out the CAN-network of the powertrain. Finally free of DTC's.

Hope this helps someone!

I have similar problems with a 08 Focus Zetec, only this is a petrol version.

Any ideas? It's been recently serviced but the garage has closed after many years of terrific service.

5 hours ago, JohnRe said:

I have similar problems with a 08 Focus Zetec, only this is a petrol version.

Any ideas? It's been recently serviced but the garage has closed after many years of terrific service.

As yours is petrol, it'd be best to start a new thread.  Which size engine is it?

There are many things that could cause this warning though.  You really need to have the fault codes read with Ford specific diagnostics.  Either a Ford dealership or Forscan.  Generic OBD readers are unlikely to show the faults triggering this warning.

• 2 months later...
On 7/5/2011 at 1:30 PM, Northernbob said:

I resort to this Forum in desperation that finally I can get an answer to a serious fault on my 2009 Ford Focus which has been occurring now for over 6 months with numerous ford garages being unable to find/fix the fault.

My issue revolves around a random periodic Engine malfunction warning light coming on the dashboard that corresponds with a loss of turbo giving rise to situations of climbing hills whilst overtaking lorries to suddenly find I have no acceleration and hence start to fall back in speed and hence back to the traffic behind me.

This has now happened several times! I have taken the car which is still under warranty into a garage local to my work place as well as another in Sussex whilst away for a weekend, but they have found nothing wrong and can only advise me to bring it in when the fault condition occurs so they can analyse it! alas to date this has not occurred at a time when any of Fords garages have been open!

One thing to note is that if the car is shut down and re-started the warning goes away and then the turbo is fully back in operation???

I once had the RAC look at it and they pulled off the following error codes but for whatever reason ford dont recognize these or wont offer an opinion? (Po219 and po299 error codes)

Any one out there shed any light on the subject,

many thanks

Rob

hi i have just had the same on my 2009 1.6tdci it turned out to be the plug under the glove box  the grean 1 had water damage  it now runs fine 

• 1 year later...

I have 2008 1.6 tdci an engine malfunction  has come on I've read comments an going to get car serviced hasn't been done in 4 years only just bought  car  hope this is what it needs 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club