Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A -99 2.3 Galaxy Won't Start

Zones

Hi,

I hope somebody could help me with this. My -99 galaxy (2.3 petrol, automatic) had probably a kind "heat stroke" yesterday. It was a quite warm day, about 28 C and the car was in direct sunlight for a couple of hours. The car was also driven earlier, so the engine was also hot while parking. Now, when starting a car the led in driver's door starts to blink rapidly (after being lit for a couple of seconds). Also, the fuel pump does not start.

As the automatic gearbox is product of VAG group, and I've got an old version of VAG-com, I could connect to the transmission. The transmission gives two error codes: TP sensor out of range and something about the engine data connection failure. From the gearbox's measure blocks I could also read the value of Throttle Position Sensor and it is constantly 50.0% (4.98 V), not depending on the actual position of gas pedal. I've had this problem some time earlier, but then it was only temporary; the car started normally after an hour or two! I've thought this over and it seems like the problem would be either in TPS (which was unnecessarily replaced 2 years ago), wiring/connections or ECU. Would anyone have a good idea, how to solve the actual cause of this problem?

Secondly, how do I get my hands on the ECU? Is it really behind the fusebox, above pedals?

With kind regards,

Jouni

• 3 weeks later...

It sounds like it could be the TPS, if the voltage is at a constant rate and this doesn't change when you push/release the accelerator pedal, then I would check the accelerator position potentiometer (assuming it's fly by wire), the output voltage of this should change dependent on accelerater position.

It's probably something so easy but the problem is if even one thing is at fault, it will mess the car up as the ECU relies on so many different sensors.

I would check accelerator position sensor (assuming the accelerator is fly by wire) and make sure it's giving out varying voltages dependent upon position, I'd also go over the general wiring around the engine including camshaft position sensor, crankshaft position sensor, airflow sensor etc and see where that gets you...?

It could be wiring considering you had the same problem before but it went after a couple of hours.

I can't help you with the location of the ECU as I'm not familiar with the Galaxy, but I hope that's of some use to you.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club