Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Manual Gearbox symptoms causes ??

jonp

This question refers to a 1999 Ford Focus 1.8 Ghia petrol.

The car has done nearly 78k. I have read in the fault finding section of the Haynes manual that difficulty engaging gears is a sign of worn synchronizer units, although there are other causes of this as well.

Given the age of my vehicle do you think this is likely what is happening to my car and how can I eliminate other possibilities ?

Thanks

could also be a worn clutch or the gearstick linkage needs adjustment.

• 1 month later...
could also be a worn clutch or the gearstick linkage needs adjustment.

Hi Mintalkin - I'm new on here.

I have a 1999 Ghia 1.8 Petrol too, and my clutch was recently replaced. Now it won't go into reverse. I paid the garage £440 to fit the clutch and the gears were weird after they had done it. I think it is their responsibility to fix it free of charge, what do you think?

thanks in advance for any help.

I ALSO have a 1999 1.8 ghia, however, mines done 170k!

When you say the gears are difficult to select, do you mean it struggles to actually go into gear, or is the stick just sloppy and its difficult to get it into the correct gate?

On mine, the second is true, so I need to adjust or replace the linkgage, but if its the first, it will be a gearbox / clutch fault.

I have a 1999 Ghia 1.8 Petrol too, and my clutch was recently replaced. Now it won't go into reverse. I paid the garage £440 to fit the clutch and the gears were weird after they had done it. I think it is their responsibility to fix it free of charge, what do you think?

It sounds like they didn't get the linkages adjusted properly after dropping the box for the clutch change. I think you are dead right and should get them to put it right FOC.

the gears should be as smoth as when the car went into the garage, if not grt them to put it right.

the gears should be as smoth as when the car went into the garage, if not grt them to put it right.

Hi Mintalkin - thanks for the advice. I called them and apparently there are some clips that need adjusting. This seems to have caused the problem and they're putting it right on Monday for me.

Cheers.