Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fuel Ecconomy

Zorg

How do I improve the mpg in a 2008 fiesta I only get 37.8 mpg?

Take the handbrake off and push it.

Or you could change your driving style, maybe you're going to fast? You having to brake hard going into corners and booting it out of them?

change gear at 2000 rpm , coast as often as you can i.e going down hills and try not to stop theres no point speeding upto traffic lights then slaming on brakes, turn ac off , empty heavy loads out of boot, switch off when going to be idiling for more than 30 secs, dont go over 60 mph, select highest gear possible when at crusing speed. :) i get 48-52 mpg out of a full tank in my 1.2 16v clio and 57mpg on a run and 64 ish mpg out of the focus 1.6 tdci and 74 on a run :)

How do I improve the mpg in a 2008 fiesta I only get 37.8 mpg?

when was the car last serviced? How clean is the air filter? Do you check the tyre pressures?

I find the 1.4 petrol engine is very poor for MPG. In the 20 odd months i had that engine, the very best i could do is 45 MPG. The newer range of engine's such as the 1.6 found in the MK7 Fiesta can offer much better MPG. In my case, i got it to return 55 MPG.

Know and anticipate the roads you reguarly drive on, so you cvan plan in advance slowing down for corners, junctions, lights, whatever, this makes the biggest difference, and takes the most practise, Doing this correctly will mean you keep momentum and not have to brake so much.

General tips: Gentle acceleration, limit yourself to 2000rpm until top gear, try to stay below 60, Coast upto junctions where you know you will need to stop. Take an alternate route on routine journeys, dual carriageways and motorways are better than conventional town roads even if it's slightly longer.

Remove unnecessary weight; This could be, Emptying the boot, driving with less fuel on shorter journeys, taking out unecessary parts of the car if you were extreme. Or even losing a few lbs yourself, and telling the passengers they'll have to catch a bus!

Make sure you car is fully maintained, and the tyres are kept to they're (max) recommended setting. You could also think about some low rolling resistance tyres when next come to replace them.

What sort of driving do you do? 37.8MPG seems to suggest short, town journeys to me, in which case it's not all that bad!

• Like 1

Thanks, it's start stop all the way and no speeding up to lights , the average speed is6.1 moh! Trying to keep it under 2000 rev but it's nit easy and constantly up n down the box.

Know and anticipate the roads you reguarly drive on, so you cvan plan in advance slowing down for corners, junctions, lights, whatever, this makes the biggest difference, and takes the most practise, Doing this correctly will mean you keep momentum and not have to brake so much.

General tips: Gentle acceleration, limit yourself to 2000rpm until top gear, try to stay below 60, Coast upto junctions where you know you will need to stop. Take an alternate route on routine journeys, dual carriageways and motorways are better than conventional town roads even if it's slightly longer.

Remove unnecessary weight; This could be, Emptying the boot, driving with less fuel on shorter journeys, taking out unecessary parts of the car if you were extreme. Or even losing a few lbs yourself, and telling the passengers they'll have to catch a bus!

Make sure you car is fully maintained, and the tyres are kept to they're (max) recommended setting. You could also think about some low rolling resistance tyres when next come to replace them.

What sort of driving do you do? 37.8MPG seems to suggest short, town journeys to me, in which case it's not all that bad!

It's from outskirts if the city into the countryside. It's up and down hills and there is four roundabouts and five sets of lights before that. Only a six mile journey. I find to keep it under 2000 revs I have to change up within a couple of mins. Thanks for the reply.

when was the car last serviced? How clean is the air filter? Do you check the tyre pressures?

Serviced at 12000 miles. It's only done 12500 now. Lol don't know what the correct tyre pressure is. Had an old transit before this.

Serviced at 12000 miles. It's only done 12500 now. Lol don't know what the correct tyre pressure is. Had an old transit before this.

You'll find the tyre pressures inside your manual, or on the passenger door.

12500 or not if this is the original oil change it. oil degrades over time and especially in an all aluminium engine as the acid level in the oil will start to eat the block etc

Also Air filters can be accessed by small mice if the car has not been driven for weeks. I Found a piece of break and stones from cherries etc just above the inlet manifold after my car was left for a month.

Spark plugs wear with usage but its good practice to replace them if they are the originals.

Change the fuel filter if its the original as like above stale fuel will clog the filter.

I know some of my points are ott but every little helps lol

Are the front brakes binding.

Jamie

Thanks, it's start stop all the way and no speeding up to lights , the average speed is6.1 moh! Trying to keep it under 2000 rev but it's nit easy and constantly up n down the box.

Had to double take this. Area you saying 6.1mph? If so 37.8mpg really isn't at all bad and I wouldn't change too much what you have been doing.

Thanks. My average speed was 6.1. Lol got it up to 43.8 today with coasting down the hills. Average speed did go up to 16.1.

Thanks. My average speed was 6.1. Lol got it up to 43.8 today with coasting down the hills. Average speed did go up to 16.1.

Average speed and MPG are still taken when your stopped with your engine on, so they will continue to fall. I think my average speed is like 7mph!

And was that 43.8 MPG you meant? That's pretty good for an average. Should be able to take it further still!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club