Huge Range of Ford Parts
    • Share Your Car Experience
      Share Your Car Experience

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zombie

Gear change and engine revs

3 posts in this topic

I've got used to my faithfull old Ford Probe over the years and that will whiz through the gears effortlessly.

My Focus changes gear nicely but I'm finding that the engine revs are not dropping quickly enough and I end up with the car jumping a bit. This could be me trying to rush it through the gears but is this normal?

Its a 2001 2.0 Ghia with 51k on the clock (confirmed with all the old MOTs) so I would not have thought the clutch would be playing up.

The breather hose was not plugged in to the air box and the air filter is a bit grey with dirt so could a new filter and ECU reset make the engine run a bit more responsively?..........I'm just rambling now, any tips about this car would be appreciated.

I've got used to my faithfull old Ford Probe over the years and that will whiz through the gears effortlessly.

My Focus changes gear nicely but I'm finding that the engine revs are not dropping quickly enough and I end up with the car jumping a bit. This could be me trying to rush it through the gears but is this normal?

Its a 2001 2.0 Ghia with 51k on the clock (confirmed with all the old MOTs) so I would not have thought the clutch would be playing up.

The breather hose was not plugged in to the air box and the air filter is a bit grey with dirt so could a new filter and ECU reset make the engine run a bit more responsively?..........I'm just rambling now, any tips about this car would be appreciated.

I have the same issue - seems to be common but I cannot find a fix either - anyone help?

I have the same problem on my Rover 75 V6. I'm fairly certain that this is a consequence of emission control routines in the engine management system. Basically when you take your foot rapidly off the throttle the ECU opens up the idle control valve to prevent a sudden increase in vacuum in the manifold.

I agree it does make smooth gearchanges almost impossible.