Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Advice

reprised

Hi all,

My Focus has just come back from it's annual service and suprise suprise they said it needs some work doing. both rear trailing arm bushes need replacing at a cost of 275 quid :-(. Car has only done 50k miles is this a common thing to go or are they just looking for extra work? Also they say the brakes are 80% worn so need doing. Correct me if I'm wrong but they still have 20% of their life remaining. Brake discs also 0.5mm from minimum thickness- how long roughly would they last (i'm a light braker)....

I said no to all these jobs as they were trying the hard sell and they say the car would pass an mot. What do you guys think?

Hi all,

My Focus has just come back from it's annual service and suprise suprise they said it needs some work doing. both rear trailing arm bushes need replacing at a cost of 275 quid :-(. Car has only done 50k miles is this a common thing to go or are they just looking for extra work? Also they say the brakes are 80% worn so need doing. Correct me if I'm wrong but they still have 20% of their life remaining. Brake discs also 0.5mm from minimum thickness- how long roughly would they last (i'm a light braker)....

I said no to all these jobs as they were trying the hard sell and they say the car would pass an mot. What do you guys think?

what year is your focus?

Hi Steph,

It's a 57 plate.

Hi Steph,

It's a 57 plate.

and they are saying it needs new trailing arm bushes already :o I find that hard to believe..

Does you car have rear discs or drums?

IF the brakes are 80% worn then i would suggest looking into having them replaced before too long, yes you still have 20% left but they will start to loose efficiency. Take your car to another garage and ask them to carry out a check and give you a report on the condition of the brakes.

and they are saying it needs new trailing arm bushes already :o I find that hard to believe..

Does you car have rear discs or drums?

IF the brakes are 80% worn then i would suggest looking into having them replaced before too long, yes you still have 20% left but they will start to loose efficiency. Take your car to another garage and ask them to carry out a check and give you a report on the condition of the brakes.

believe it or not the newer focus is bad for the rear bushes the rubber splits from the metal and they need renewed and 275 is a good price when you see the hassle it is getting to them its a common mot failure the rear bushes

believe it or not the newer focus is bad for the rear bushes the rubber splits from the metal and they need renewed and 275 is a good price when you see the hassle it is getting to them its a common mot failure the rear bushes

I will choose not to believe that then :lol:

with 4 of them in the family and 2 mates with them, none of them are having any issues B) 2005(55)x2, 2006(06)x2 and 2007(57)x2 and one of those being a mate with absolutely no concern about speed bumps :lol:

Well thats the theory anyway, we know that most motor companies are very good at using any clause they can to avoid paying out on warranty, also make sure that they stamp the book and if you can, get a copy of an invoice quoting the parts used, and evidence that they were in fact Ford Approved. in the realm of a dispute with Ford, if you have purchased the Ford parts, and they are fitted, there is very little they can do to wriggle out of it :)

Well thats the theory anyway, we know that most motor companies are very good at using any clause they can to avoid paying out on warranty, also make sure that they stamp the book and if you can, get a copy of an invoice quoting the parts used, and evidence that they were in fact Ford Approved. in the realm of a dispute with Ford, if you have purchased the Ford parts, and they are fitted, there is very little they can do to wriggle out of it :)

all i can say is i know its a common mot failure and i know ford stock them on the shelf they get done that much and im aware of 7 focis that have needed them done miune included it all depends on how you drive if youre easy on the corners and do a lot of motorway driving they dont wear as fast if youre hard into the corners and do a lot of twisties they wear from the sideways force put on them so its down to driving style more than anything thats why poly bush do replacements. they flex the originals as you corner eventually pulling the rubberaway up and down motion does not effect them just sideways motion and its usually put on the mot as an advisory ive known them to either not be mentioned on an mot or advised and ive seen ones that should be changed pass an mot all depends on how much sideways movement there is