Screw Holes In Engine

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dave71

Dave71

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Name: David
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.6 Zetec (sports pack)
  • Year: 2009

Posted 11 August 2011 - 09:39 AM

Hello,
I've just bought an '09 Focus Zetec 1.6 petrol.

After looking around under the bonnet, I noticed two brass screw holes on the top of the engine near the oil filler cap.

It didn't look right to me, like a cover or something is missing off the top; and I also wasn't sure if the holes need to be covered.

Is this normal, or is something missing?

Apologies if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find an answer.

Thanks.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 Airflow

Airflow

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Name: Jat
  • Ford Model: Focus
  • Year: 2008

Posted 11 August 2011 - 07:45 PM

Hello,
I've just bought an '09 Focus Zetec 1.6 petrol.

After looking around under the bonnet, I noticed two brass screw holes on the top of the engine near the oil filler cap.

It didn't look right to me, like a cover or something is missing off the top; and I also wasn't sure if the holes need to be covered.

Is this normal, or is something missing?

Apologies if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find an answer.

Thanks.

Hi, I'm new here too, having just bought an '08 car the same model as yours. Mine is just the same, and most pics of the engine bay around the net show the same thing, so I guess it's meant to be like that. I think earlier versions of this engine had a sort of decorative cover over the ignition leads etc which would have screwed into those brass screw holes (I used to have a Fiesta 1.25 whose engine was the same basic design and that had that cover) but I suppose Ford decided it wasn't needed..

I'm happy to be corrected if anyone knows better.

#3 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,929 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:40 PM

Hi, I'm new here too, having just bought an '08 car the same model as yours. Mine is just the same, and most pics of the engine bay around the net show the same thing, so I guess it's meant to be like that. I think earlier versions of this engine had a sort of decorative cover over the ignition leads etc which would have screwed into those brass screw holes (I used to have a Fiesta 1.25 whose engine was the same basic design and that had that cover) but I suppose Ford decided it wasn't needed..

I'm happy to be corrected if anyone knows better.

its for the ignition lead cover which can be purchased seperately all fords i believe have them mine does

#4 alexlark

alexlark

Settling In Well

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Name: Alex
  • Ford Model: Focus EcoBoost 1.0 (125)
  • Year: 2013

Posted 12 August 2011 - 07:20 AM

Yep, on my 08 plate Focus its got the big plastic Ford cover that covers the whole top of the engine. With the oil filler poking through.

When I done the oil I remember taking those 2 screws out and pulling the cover off so I could get to the oil filter.

#5 Dave71

Dave71

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Name: David
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.6 Zetec (sports pack)
  • Year: 2009

Posted 12 August 2011 - 08:28 AM

Thanks for all the helpful replies, that's put my mind at rest that nothing important is missing.

The engine is spookily clean; mind, that's probably because my previous was a 17 year old Golf.

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users