Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steering Fluid Leak

Doug

I have a 1.3 petrol 2003 Fiesta that has had the steering rack changed twice (the first being faulty) together with the steering pump. Some two weeks and 30 miles later the dreaded screech came back with the fluid level in the reservoir being a little short. It took but a few drops to top up and cure the noise. However my garage is stumped as the rack and steering pump seem ok. The slight drop in fluid level should really not happen but there is no obvious trace of a leak other than a diry oily feed (or is it return?0 pipe from the bottom of the reservoir. I have cleaned this off and am now running the car to see if the pipe gets oil on it so pointing to a leak. No oil on drive so I think that any leak only happens when the reservoir and pipes are under pressure. Anyone any other ideas about how to discover this leak?

Thanks

Doug

To add more to this I cleaned all pipes and reservoir then took the car out for 12 mile drive on twisty country roads. Checked levels again and found no drop in level and no obvious leaks on pipework. However the top of the reservoir was coated in fluid which was not there before my drive so suspect either a leaky filler cap or a small pinhole in the reservoir. Changed the cap and will continue testing over the next few days. Next step a new reservoir bottle.

Doug

If there's nothing to suggest underneath the vehicle the rack is at fault, and all the connecting lines and hoses seem okay I'm certainly with you that it points to the reservoir bottle. Maybe the sealer around the cap is at fault and it is allowing fluid to leak from here?

I would make a suggestion that if the rack was only recently replaced, to make sure the garage (or whoever carried out the work) made sure the PAS system was bled properly. It's not hard just a case of turning the wheel to either side and allowing the rack to fill with fluid. However saying that, you would probably notice it if it wasn't bled properly as the amount of assistance provided would vary until the hydraulic rack was full with fluid.

Report back and let us know how it's going...

UPDATE: Remember that as you use the steering the fluid level will raise and lower very slightly. So don't overfill it.

• 2 weeks later...

On the way to being sorted. Fluid level dropping after car stood on drive for two nights so after cleaning all pipework and reservoir bottle I left it for another two nights. Level again dropped to bottom of reservoir but no sign of leaks or drips on my drive. Steering rack boots also dry. Closer inspection on ramps and with a good flashlight showed a slight weep of fluid from around the edge of the tensioner housing at the rear right of the rack. This is my second rack within two weeks and my garage has agreed to change it yet again. The racks are reconditioned items which although looking like new seem to be prone to this type of leak from this particular spot. The tensioner housing is about 2" in diameter and screws into the main body of the rack. It seals by means of a simple tapered seating which must be difficult to recondition and maintain an oilproof seal. Let us hope this next rack cures it. My garage by the way stated that they are having loads of problems with all ford reconditioned items despite using different suppliers. Future jobs like this will be done using genuine Ford parts at a much higher repair cost making owners question the economic cost of fix or scrap.

Fingers crossed this time.

Doug

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club