Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Nitrogen for Better Fuel Economy?

Steve

I noticed a lot of tyre garages offering Nitrogen to replace the air in tyres claiming to save tyre wear and better fuel economy. Do you think this is pants or pretty good? Anyone ever tried it? Whats your thoughts?

I've seen this too, and read about people doing it but haven't been able to work out the clear advantages.

I always understood that tyres filled with nitrogen remain at pressure for longer when compared to tyres filled with air. Also they handle temperature differences better, which is probably why aircraft tyres are filled with nitrogen - due to the temperatures they experience at high altitude (like -40c).

I may be wrong though :D

Nowt wrong with air...has worked for god knows how many years :D To me, sounds like a reason to make more money by charging you extra for the Nitrogen.

yeah kwik-fit offer this for £5 on all tyres....

according to their leaflets tyres are hav natural microscopic holes that air leaks out, but filled with nitrogen it doesnt...im not into physics or chemistry so i dont know.

apparently also because air has natural moisture, this moisture goes into the tyre and can cause moisture related damage to the tyres inside. nitrogen is dry and doesnt cause this...

i say...gimmick.

Ive got it in mine. Was talking to My dads friend who works in a garage while he was repairing a puncture and he said I'll put nitrogen in all 4 tires while you're here (for free), so I said yeah why not.

Not to fussed whether it's air or nitrogen tbh. Both free for me lol

£20 !!! are you mad ? you can purchase a small compressor that runs off you accessory socket for less than than and check your pressures at home etc.

apparently also because air has natural moisture, this moisture goes into the tyre and can cause moisture related damage to the tyres inside. nitrogen is dry and doesnt cause this...

i say...gimmick.

love that, good old Kwik Fit :lol: :D

I heard this also, the latest 350Z from nissan does this because its a more "stable" compound to fill the tyres - if so why dont ferrari / lambo do the same??

The story I heard on it - The air is already 78% nitrogen, and its impossible to make a PURE nitrogen mixture because somehow the molecules of the other things in the air will work their way into the tire. So you're paying for a small % increase in the actual amount of nitrogen that goes in the tire. It does give very slightly better Fuel economy and it takes a little longer for the air to escape, but not enough to justify any additional cost.

If you were to dry the air before it went into the compressor you would wind up with a similar effect

Nowt wrong with air...has worked for god knows how many years :D To me, sounds like a reason to make more money by charging you extra for the Nitrogen.

I agree,:lol:

if its good enough for me is good enough for the car.

although you can purchase N2 valve caps to remind people whats inside Click here