Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stop Start Doesn't Work Very Often

teejay28

Hi, Ford CS, 0845 841 1111, although don't hold your breath. Did the dealership give a reason for the delay? No help to you I know but mine is working flawlessly...

Chris

Chris

One other thing, don't know if it is connected to the stop/start issue but sometimes when you get in the car, you get a message 'Press Clutch To Start'. Even when you press the clutch pedal, this message sometimes then pops up saying 'Press Clutch And Brake To Start', you press the start button and then the original message will pop up again. To start the car you must then lift the clutch and push it down again.

Seen anything like this ??

Hi, then surely it must be the switch on the clutch...

Chris

The dealer has changed all those, thats why they're looking now at the GEM module - apparently all the connections go there. The 'Master Tech' who's coming is bringing all the parts to try including a complete pedal assembly

Hi, I guess its the same old thing with new technology, until it does go wrong they can't know how to fix it...

Chris

Well i've got the car back and have for a week now and believe it or not the stop start has worked almost every time i've stopped and yet the garage say they have done nothing to the car except check the battery on 2 consecutive days and yet everytime before they had to charge the battery it looks like they don't know what they are doing or they can't tell the customer the truth.

All I have found out about the problem is what i've been told by Ford is that the stop start doesn't work if the heater is set to the lowest temp (mine had been set to 15 degree's from day 1) or if you have the air conditioning turned on even though I hadn't used the air conditioning so now I change the Focus for a C=Max on Tuesday and hopefully there will be no more problems as the C-Max is only a Zetec

Well i've got the car back and have for a week now and believe it or not the stop start has worked almost every time i've stopped and yet the garage say they have done nothing to the car except check the battery on 2 consecutive days and yet everytime before they had to charge the battery it looks like they don't know what they are doing or they can't tell the customer the truth.

All I have found out about the problem is what i've been told by Ford is that the stop start doesn't work if the heater is set to the lowest temp (mine had been set to 15 degree's from day 1) or if you have the air conditioning turned on even though I hadn't used the air conditioning so now I change the Focus for a C=Max on Tuesday and hopefully there will be no more problems as the C-Max is only a Zetec

You rejected the car and changed for a C-Max ?

Hi, the start stop will not operate when the CC is set low, the manual clearly says this and says the ideal temp setting should be set to 22c. On my car the start stop restarts itself if the cabin temp gets too high...

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Chris the problem according to the garage was if the heater (not A/C) was set to the lowest temp the stop start wouldn't work also if the A/C was in use it wouldn't work, I don't know about the A/C as I hardly ever used it but the temp on the heater had been set to the lowest from the day I picked the car up and everytine it came out of the garage stop start worked fine for upto 48 hours then stopped working again.

I was fed up of going back to the garage every other week and even the garage staff were saying see you next week that I decided to hand the Focus back and changed it for the C-Max Zetec instead and personally I have found it to be a better car to drive

Hi, well I can only repeat what the manual says, thus it would have interfered with the stop start and caused the issue you were having. Anyway, now you are happy with your car that's the main thing, I'm sure you do know that the C-Max is just a Focus with a different body...

Chris

Update on mine with the stop/start issue. Picking car up tomorrow as now fixed, dealer has fitted complete pedal assembly as not actuating limit switches correctly. Dealer has driven it for 2 days on test and seems to be woring correctly.

Had a C-Max loaner (11 plate), agree with teejay28 - better drive than new focus IMHO.

Hi, what do you mean by better drive, is it harder or softer, turn in better or worse, change of direction, and was it on the same size of wheels?

Chris

Hi, what do you mean by better drive, is it harder or softer, turn in better or worse, change of direction, and was it on the same size of wheels?

Chris

Comfier ride both in seating and suspension, better turn in, sharper steering and better turning circle but admittedly it's on 17's not 18's. It is however the Mk2.5 so styling more dated and interior much better quality on my new Focus. C-Max Has lots of interior trim rattles as well, particularly from the built in sun blinds. But overall, improved visibility is the biggest plus and would certainly consider one of these next time round. Do miss some of the toys on the new car as well.

Comfier ride both in seating and suspension, better turn in, sharper steering and better turning circle but admittedly it's on 17's not 18's. It is however the Mk2.5 so styling more dated and interior much better quality on my new Focus. C-Max Has lots of interior trim rattles as well, particularly from the built in sun blinds. But overall, improved visibility is the biggest plus and would certainly consider one of these next time round. Do miss some of the toys on the new car as well.

That's interesting to know as I am thinking of buying the new focus. Colin.

That's interesting to know as I am thinking of buying the new focus. Colin.

Hi Colin

I wouldn't rule out the C-Max, I suggest you test drive both. C-Max feels much bigger and the boot blinds that of the New Focus. Depends whether you want the space or not ?

Hi Colin

I wouldn't rule out the C-Max, I suggest you test drive both. C-Max feels much bigger and the boot blinds that of the New Focus. Depends whether you want the space or not ?

Thanks for the reply, I had a Mondeo before my current car Fiesta 1.6 and although I like the fiesta just a little under powered for me. Was thinking of the 16 eco boost in the focus but would not rule out the c max.

On another subject maybe Cuke could answer this I bought the Fiesta from Buy a car on line supermarket what was the waiting time you had Chris for your Focus.

Colin.

Hi, you are comparing the Mk3 Focus aren't you? I cannot believe the C-Max is better as the chassis and suspension components are exactly the same as the Focus and all road tests I've read say it is good but has slightly more body roll than the Focus has. I also find the 18" wheels fine, much better than the ride that was on the Mk4 Mondeo with the same.

Chris

Thanks for the reply, I had a Mondeo before my current car Fiesta 1.6 and although I like the fiesta just a little under powered for me. Was thinking of the 16 eco boost in the focus but would not rule out the c max.

On another subject maybe Cuke could answer this I bought the Fiesta from Buy a car on line supermarket what was the waiting time you had Chris for your Focus.

Colin.

Hi, I ended up getting mine from the local main dealership, just around the corner from my house so it made more sense. Signed the order on the 22/06/2001, car arrived at the dealership on the 18/08/2011, I picked it up on the 1/9/11 for obvious reasons...

Chris

Changing the subject, seen as though this is a stop/start thread. Got car back and system now functioning. Dealer fitted new clutch pedal assembly so if anyone else experiences failure of the system this is one possible root cause.

Hi Chris the problem according to the garage was if the heater (not A/C) was set to the lowest temp the stop start wouldn't work also if the A/C was in use it wouldn't work, I don't know about the A/C as I hardly ever used it but the temp on the heater had been set to the lowest from the day I picked the car up and everytine it came out of the garage stop start worked fine for upto 48 hours then stopped working again.

I was fed up of going back to the garage every other week and even the garage staff were saying see you next week that I decided to hand the Focus back and changed it for the C-Max Zetec instead and personally I have found it to be a better car to drive

How the HELL have you managed that? Ford don't just condemn vehicles - we've had a Focus Sport back and forth to us since May which has had 3 hego sensors and numerous visits from the ford field engineer and they STILL won't condemn it?!?!?!?!

............. Signed the order on the 22/06/2001, car arrived at the dealership on the 18/08/2011, I picked it up on the 1/9/11 for obvious reasons...

Chris

Blimey, factory on go slow or what ;)

• 3 months later...

I have just started having the same problem with my 1600 TDCI. Owned my car for 4 months now, and am used to the stop start system only working when there is no heat/aircon/lighting demands, etc. but it has just stopped working. Even after a long drive (200 miles) when everything is up to temperature, and battery well charged the engine no longer cuts out when car is at a standstill. Also if I press the on/off over-ride button, the dashboard "@" symbol doesn't illuminate anymore. I am sure the problem started to happen when I forgot to turn off ignition (after coming to a halt and the engine did cut out), before opening the driver door getting out and then turning off the ignition. So if anyone knows a trick or two to reset this function that is baffling my local dealers, I would be grateful.

• 3 years later...

Hi all.

Ford Focus 1.6TDI Titanium X just outside warrenty. have stop start issue also. Drive 100 miles a day temp all ok. Reading previous comments looks potential battery however I also have issues on Cruise control, speed limiter and hill start assist at same time. Assuume couple of faults together but have to say Fords dealership have been so unhelpful and say despite the initial £96 to diagnose that they want the car for approx 5 days do not know how much will cost and will not supply quote. Suggestions?

At moment so not happy with dealerships.

Try resetting battery monitor for stop start. Havent got time now to explain how to do it, as I need to go back over my previous posts to find it, will post up later so you can have a go .

Ign on for 10 secs

press rear foglamp switch 5 times

press hazard switch 3 times

wait up to 10 secs while watching battery light

battery light flashes

ign off.

it may or may not fix your problem,worth a go though

think all your problems are related to the clutch position switch.

hill launch assist, cruise/ speed limit and stop start all require clutch position to work

Many thanks I will try this one will report back.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club