Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stuck At Removing Back Drums

Dorfer

I am at that stage again where I dont have a clue what Im doing... again.

Im taking the back drums of my Mk6.5 to give them a lick of paint.

I took the wheel off and had a look... Its not coming off without a fight and I dont know what to do.

If theres anybody that can tell me how to get the drum off then please help or link me to a page that can show me what im doing.

Heres some pics of what I came across.

IMAG0286.jpg

IMAG0287.jpg This is what I see when I popped the cap off the centre

IMAG0288.jpg

Check around the flat side/edge is their an allen key socket to remove then ot should slide or

is their a groove for a flat screwdrover to sit on and tap the screwdriver wlightly with a hammer should come off mate

The best way to remove the drums without disturbing the bearing is to take out the 4 bolts at the rear.

• Like 1

You can get the drum off via the hub nut which is what sits behind the hub cap the cap you said you popped of the centre behind that is your hub nut. or you can get the drum off from the back by looking at picture 3 the 4 nuts take them off and then you should be able to get your drum off. If the drum is hard to get off use a flat head screwdriver and a hammer position the flathead around the outer edge of the drum give it a wack and hopefully that should free it up.

Once the drum is off a nice spary of brake cleaner and a wire brush we be good has new but be carefull not to touch the shoes with dirty greasy hands has this may contaminate the shoes.

Edit: if you take the drum off via the hub nut you normally have to replace it with a new one.

So i should just remove the 4 bolts at the back, this way I wont have to actially replace the drum... Is that correct?

Sorry if im not getting it

would it not be easyer to paint them whilst still on the car?

• Like 1

So i should just remove the 4 bolts at the back, this way I wont have to actially replace the drum... Is that correct?

Sorry if im not getting it

correct.

Paint while on the car. If you are stuck at hub nut then bleeding the breaks and reattaching the handbrake cable may blow your mind.

Paint while on the car. If you are stuck at hub nut then bleeding the breaks and reattaching the handbrake cable may blow your mind.

i agree with painting on the car but there is no need to bleed the brakes or adjust the handbrake

Aye, cheers for that <_<

The only reason I was wanting to remove them is just incase I needs to replace the back brakes at any point then, A - I would know what im getting myself in for and B, wont it stick the drum and back panel together?

not unless ure using some form of loctite paint haha and anyways that what hammers are for

Just did the drums today - look fantastic juts hammerite sprayed on them. Really makes a difference to the look of the car

Just did the drums today - look fantastic juts hammerite sprayed on them. Really makes a difference to the look of the car

Any pics.

I do have pics yeah - on my phone so I will post them if you like later on?

I am also doing my calipes red. Having a bit of trouble with the paint taking so I have some primer that I will apply and then paint with the red spray (if the weather gets better lol)

• 3 years later...

Well done for the info fellas. Have done front discs and pads 2008 wifes mk 6.5 .£46 INC vat Marks Autos Welshpool, but was not sure how to go about the back ones.

Many thanks. Fiesta_lad

frund

Does the 7.5 edition have seperate drum/bearings or all-in-one?

Thanks.

On the mk7/7.5 the drum is seperate of the hub/bearing.

Thank you.

That's a much easier arrangement.

• 2 years later...

Hi,

Sorry for dropping in probably well after this was posted. I am looking at painting my rear drums tomorrow with Hammermite black paint after I've wore brushed them and used brake cleaner to get them down to the clean metal but not bare metal.

I am also going to, next weekend, change my front discs/pads and then look at changing my rear shoes. I read above, if you do something when taking the drums off you'll need to buy new ones?

Can someone elaborate on that point just so I can get the meaning a bit better?

If I open the drums to fit new shoes, still attached to the brake lines at all times even above when painting, will I need to be careful not to do something so that I won't need to replace the drums or whatever was mentioned above?

Can I just open the drums and fit new shoes, close back up etc and it'll all be fine or...?

Thanks in advance! 👍🏽

Don't paint you drums until you've done the shoes, as you're liable to scratch it up getting them off, or may discover you need new drums.

Drums get hotter than calipers (but not as hot as discs themselves) and Hammerite doesn't always survive.

Shoes typically last in excess of 100,000 miles, so you may not need new shoes.  

And don't forget the brake fluid while you're at it, unless its been changed recently.