#1 Joshy

Joshy

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Name: Josh
  • Ford Model: 1.4 zetec mk6
  • Year: 2003

Posted 21 August 2011 - 10:50 PM

Look I have a 1.4 53 plate zetec fiesta but my friends all have 1.6 Honda civics I need a few more bhp to keep up any ideas ?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 11,151 posts
  • Name: Leonard
  • Ford Model: Focus ZetecS
  • Year: 2010
Contributor

Posted 21 August 2011 - 10:52 PM

Look I have a 1.4 53 plate zetec fiesta but my friends all have 1.6 Honda civics I need a few more bhp to keep up any ideas ?

Find some new friends or start car pooling :lol:

#3 Joshy

Joshy

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 10:53 PM

I cheers

#4 fiesta_lad

fiesta_lad

Area Rep: Northwest

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts
  • Ford Model: fiesta mk5
Posted 21 August 2011 - 10:55 PM

Tie a rope from your car to theres and that way you will be able to keep up with them :lol:

#5 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 11,151 posts
Contributor

Posted 21 August 2011 - 11:00 PM

I cheers

sorry mate, ill have a more responsible answer for you in the morning, a remap costs around £250 but gains on a N/A will only be 10-15 BHP with a remap and a K&N Filter,
De-cat pipe maybe a further 6bhp Gains
if the car was a turbo you could expect 30-45Bhp gains from just a remap and filter, not really that much more mate unless you prepared to rebuild the whole engine with uprated valves and pistons which would not be viable as would cost a bomb
your not going to reach the power of a 1.6 Jap, but the plus side is you dont have the running costs of a 1.6 jap or the expense when the get sick of running on the 95% octaine fuel and miss the jap stuff requiring a remap for the 95 octaine

and if you try to drive yours like a 1.6V-tec you will end up replacing valves and pistons because you have to rather than as an upgrade.

#6 Joshy

Joshy

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 11:09 PM

I just got a phone call his car is seized of his section 59 I am on my way to pick him up

#7 fiesta_lad

fiesta_lad

Area Rep: Northwest

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts
  • Ford Model: fiesta mk5
Posted 21 August 2011 - 11:11 PM

I just got a phone call his car is seized of his section 59 I am on my way to pick him up

What? :blink:

#8 Joshy

Joshy

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 11:15 PM

Cheers mate I am going to get a k&n air filter and get a bigger intake and exhaust manifold do you think a 4-2-1 maifold will be the best one ?

#9 Joshy

Joshy

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 11:15 PM

Yep he's in my car now he us just laughing weirdo haha

#10 cyb

cyb

Too much time on the boards

• FOC Supporters
  • 548 posts
  • Name: Colin
  • Ford Model: fiesta 1.4tdci
  • Year: 2009

Posted 22 August 2011 - 08:08 AM

Cheers mate I am going to get a k&n air filter and get a bigger intake.

Sorry chap but this will not make your car go any faster, might add 3bhp to it but if you can tell the difference with just 3bhp extra your kidding yourself. A 1.4 is what it is - save your cash for your next motor which hopefully will have a bigger engine, meanwhile improve your driving style and ability, there's more to driving than going fast :)

#11 Lenny

Lenny

Retired Moderator

• FOC Supporters
  • 11,151 posts
Contributor

Posted 22 August 2011 - 08:52 AM

Cheers mate I am going to get a k&n air filter and get a bigger intake and exhaust manifold do you think a 4-2-1 maifold will be the best one ?

yes the 4-2-1 is the best for torque throughout the gears and smoother revs. I recommend a remap to go with the K&N though as the engine wont breath in as much until remapped,

#12 Joshy

Joshy

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:44 AM

I know it's a 1.4 I don't want to spend much money this is my first car so next looking for a bigger engine but I would like a bit more speed and I think I hsve the handling under control as much as the car will let me until i push it to much and it understeers

#13 Danny87

Danny87

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts
  • Name: Dan
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Freestyle 1.25 Zetec 5-door
  • Year: 2001

Posted 22 August 2011 - 10:15 AM

As others have said fitting a K&N will make your engine sound better but the performance gain would be nothing special. You would need to get a remap especially if you are changing the exhaust for a better manifold too. Your ECU will be tuned for standard and once you fit a K&N and an exhaust what you're doing is getting more air in and the exhaust gasses out quicker. Your ECU will not be able to calculate this for peak performance so a remap and tune up would be a must for you to gain any real performance increases other than just more noise :D.

If I'm honest? Well, your car is the better car. I say that because Jap cars really don't do much for me at all, but that is just personal preference lol.

My very first car which I learnt to drive in was an 800cc Matiz, I passed my test in that. I then went through the Italian phase with a MK1 Punto Sporting (which was stolen, lovely!) and a MK2 Punto Sporting, before finally getting a nice car, my mint MK5 Fiesta! It is your first car after all so don't worry if it's slow or whatever, your first car usually ends up with a few marks and dents or even sees the wrong side of the hedge :lol:.

Just enjoy being mobile and having a car!

#14 Joshy

Joshy

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 10:27 AM

Yeah thanks mate I know it will not be super fast or Anything and I want the !Removed! petrol proves to up down it's hard enough trying to filly tank never mind a bigger engine might get a downgrade if prices keep going up haha

#15 Danny87

Danny87

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts
  • Name: Dan
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Freestyle 1.25 Zetec 5-door
  • Year: 2001

Posted 22 August 2011 - 10:48 AM

Haha, exactly mate. It's all very well nowadays having big engines but the problem for most people is when they need a drink and with the prices of fuel it can turn out to be really expensive.

My MK5 Fiesta has the well known 1.25 Zetec unit but for the driving I do, around town, work and occasionally a short stretch of the M5 it's more than powerful enough and it will run forever on 20's worth of fuel.

I burnt out a MK2 Fiat Punto yesterday at the traffic lights, it was the basic spec 1.2 8v and it looked like he obtained the exhaust from an Australian road-train - but he was happy, with all his 65 horsepowers :D

Cheers mate :)

Dan

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users