#1 stevedavo

stevedavo

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Name: steve
  • Ford Model: Focus Estate 1.8 TDdi
  • Year: 2002

Posted 22 August 2011 - 07:26 PM

I was wondering if any one could give me a little help, I have a 52 Focus Estate TDdi. At the weekend I replaced my clutch master cylinder, as the push rod snapped on the old one. The replacement was a bit of a pain but went well, I bled the system using an ezibleed unit, and ran around 1/2 ltr of DOT4 through to ensure that it was nice clean fluid and all the air was out of the system.

The pedal seemed very light on completion but the clutch worked well, no trouble in operation or changing gear. I have been on a long journey today of around 350 miles. During the day the clutch pedal has become a lot firmer, but if the pedal is pumped or used a lot in traffic it gets lighter then will firm again when not used for awhile.

Can anyone think why this would happen? Have I done anything wrong? Will re-bleeding the clutch help?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,939 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 23 August 2011 - 02:03 PM

I was wondering if any one could give me a little help, I have a 52 Focus Estate TDdi. At the weekend I replaced my clutch master cylinder, as the push rod snapped on the old one. The replacement was a bit of a pain but went well, I bled the system using an ezibleed unit, and ran around 1/2 ltr of DOT4 through to ensure that it was nice clean fluid and all the air was out of the system.

The pedal seemed very light on completion but the clutch worked well, no trouble in operation or changing gear. I have been on a long journey today of around 350 miles. During the day the clutch pedal has become a lot firmer, but if the pedal is pumped or used a lot in traffic it gets lighter then will firm again when not used for awhile.

Can anyone think why this would happen? Have I done anything wrong? Will re-bleeding the clutch help?

check under the bell housing on the gearbox for any clutch fluid and see if the clutch fluid has gone down mine was the same when done by ford turned out the new cylinder was faulty and had popped a seal meaning yep new clutch and pressure plate and cylinder however as they did it they had to replace it free sounds to me like you have a leak which is why the pressure keeps dropping

#3 stevedavo

stevedavo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 04:51 PM

Thanks checked and there is no signs of leaking fluid. The pedal felt normal until I put a new master cylinder on, so it could be a faulty master cylinder. I will try and bleed it again at the weekend and see if it helps.

#4 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,939 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 25 August 2011 - 11:22 AM

Thanks checked and there is no signs of leaking fluid. The pedal felt normal until I put a new master cylinder on, so it could be a faulty master cylinder. I will try and bleed it again at the weekend and see if it helps.

did you hear a pop when you pressed the clutch? i would try bleeding first as its hydraulic it can be a pain to bleed even ford admitted that

#5 jeebowhite

jeebowhite

Resident Loon

• Super Mod
  • 20,977 posts
  • Name: James
  • Ford Model: Sea Grey Mondeo MKIV 1.8TDCi 140ps Zetec
  • Year: 2007
Contributor

Posted 25 August 2011 - 02:03 PM

it can be a pain to bleed even ford admitted that

Thats why Ford charge a ransom to fix it ;)

#6 stevedavo

stevedavo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 08:39 PM

I have re-bled the clutch and it seems a lot better. Thanks for the help

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users